Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > how long should disks last ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Quentyn

how long should disks last ?

as per subject

if after 20K ( from new) you are told that the risk disks need changing ( along with the pads) would you be worried ? Pads I will accept but the disks ?

also £579 + vat to change rear pads and disks seems a little high to me... is it about right ?

Post #315201 13th Jan 2017 9:08 pm
taztastic

England 

Depends on driving style and types of drives, motorways use little, towns use a lot, mine got to 55k.

£579 +vat is taking you for a ride, my LR dealer quoted £400 for fronts and did them on a special deal at £250 that they run occasionally, they also quoted £250 for the rears when they needed doing.

Post #315205 13th Jan 2017 9:19 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

You can tell without taking the wheels off if the discs are worn (just feel for the lip at the edge) similarly it's just possible to check the state of the outer pads with the wheels on. However on each of our FL2s I have changed the pads about once every approx 50k miles but never had to replace the discs. Changing discs and pads is one of the easiest DIY jobs and plenty of advice on this forum to help you. Go on have a go! 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #315206 13th Jan 2017 9:24 pm
shiggsy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

A rough indicator is to feel for a lip on the edge of the disk, if there is a pronounced edge you may need some. What tends to happen when pressed about why do the disks need changing is that they come out with 'they won't make it to the next service', which can obviously be thousands of miles away. 
Hung like Einstein, smart as a horse.

Post #315207 13th Jan 2017 9:27 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Most disks will develop a lip early on in their lives.

You need to find the minimum thickness of the discs and buy a micrometer. If you have been asked to pay for a set of replacement discs at 20,000 ish miles then it's highly likely to be wrong. Get a micrometer, or get a second opinion.

My dealer tried it on with me at 28,000 miles and when I checked the discs they were barely worn - certainly in much better condition than many of the "approved" used Jaguars and Land Rovers on their forecourt!

Post #315209 13th Jan 2017 9:42 pm
Quentyn

taztastic wrote:
Depends on driving style and types of drives, motorways use little, towns use a lot, mine got to 55k.

£579 +vat is taking you for a ride, my LR dealer quoted £400 for fronts and did them on a special deal at £250 that they run occasionally, they also quoted £250 for the rears when they needed doing.

thanks this was a LR main dealer so its probably RRP ( was in for a service under its service plan)

car will go into my local family run independent tomorrow to do the pads and I will discuss if they can now take over the service plan as they have rangerovers themselves it seems

Post #315211 13th Jan 2017 9:52 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

On my previous cars, once the first set of pads wore out I kept them & got them re-shoed with metal pads, not the carbon rubbish. They braked the car better without also without that spongy feel. It was cheap as well, & the other benefit was a lot loss brake dust! It is hard to say if the discs wore out any quicker even though I had the car for 250,000km over 18 years I had it. I was also pretty good on the clutch as well, they would last forever.

The discs were only ever replaced once on the car but I always tried to brake the car lightly in general driving but without being fanatical! Long steep hills I use the gears. On the Freelander I drop the auto down a gear or two, it is the only time I have ever bothered to put the car into sports mode. I only bother to do this on longer steep declines. Eg an extreme decline is Mt Buller, Victoria, 921 vertical metres average 6% max 13%.

Metal pads are the go simply on the basis of reducing brake dust! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #315215 13th Jan 2017 10:57 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey
Re: how long should disks last ?

Quentyn wrote:
as per subject

if after 20K ( from new) you are told that the risk disks need changing ( along with the pads) would you be worried ? Pads I will accept but the disks ?

also £579 + vat to change rear pads and disks seems a little high to me... is it about right ?

what's the reason discs need replaced? worn, scored, corrosion, etc

how old is the vehicle?

Iain

Post #315236 14th Jan 2017 10:12 am
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

My wife wears pads and discs out pretty quickly. Manual or autos , she always uses the brakes to descend the steep hills around here. In her current Freelander auto she would not dream of knocking the lever into manual and command shifting to a low gear before descending . . Me , Mr Forward Thinking Engine Breaking Laughing I'll get twice the life so driving styles/journeys do play abig part especially if you drive with a bit of spirit he Fl2 is a bit of a heavy lump to stop.

£450 may well be Main Dealer prices , but bearing in mind that most of the FL2 braking system is cheap as chips Ford any half decent mechanic can replace them and the £250 quoted by the guys above is more like it , assumimg you are charged £120 for decent quality discs, and pads shoes that gives them a big chunk of change to do an easy job. 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #315245 14th Jan 2017 10:48 am
EYorkshire

38k and my rears needed changing, but I do tow a caravan, over £500 is way too much.
On the FL2 it is not unusual for the rears to be first to wear, and my fronts at the now 50k will be changed in a few months time at the service.

Post #315253 14th Jan 2017 11:58 am
Stevie5tapes

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Auto Sumatra Black

I had my pads done, front and rear when I had my car serviced. Cost me 140 quid. That was at an indy, he charged me a reduced labour rate as he had the wheels off during the service. I cant believe dealers charging a full rate for changing brake parts during a service as half the job is done already i.e wheels off. Black MY2013 SD4 GS Auto, Wood Company Armrest, Freel2 sticker.
Gone MY2010 Freelander 2 Manual TD4.e S, Alaska White.

Post #315309 14th Jan 2017 9:40 pm
Quentyn

Re: how long should disks last ?

iain cooper wrote:
Quentyn wrote:
as per subject

what's the reason discs need replaced? worn, scored, corrosion, etc

how old is the vehicle?

Iain

they said worn but i cant see it

vehicle is a 2013 with 24k on the clock

local indy did it today for 120 all in ( not the disks as they didnt need doing apparently..)

Post #315312 14th Jan 2017 9:46 pm
ReggiePerrin

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

When mine was serviced in November (3rd service and a little over 20k miles) I was advised that rear pads down to 3mm, front pads 5mm and discs fine. Car is auto and we also tow a caravan (1.6t).

Genuine LR pads all round, supplied for under £100. Easy DIY job, labour £0. The rears should last ok until winter wheels come off and summers go back on when I'll change front and rear at the same time.

Post #315314 14th Jan 2017 10:56 pm
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Disc wear limits (TD4) are front 28mm New, 26mm worn to limit; rear 20mm New, 18mm worn to limit.

Bob 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #315320 14th Jan 2017 11:48 pm
Dresdner

Germany 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

So this means i can neasure only the lip with the back of a caliper without removing the wheels?

Post #315330 15th Jan 2017 9:08 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>