Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Terrain Response system when reversing?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
DJ

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Orkney Grey
Terrain Response system when reversing?

Hi all,

My FL2 is a 64 reg SD4 Auto.

The problem is my drive is quite steep uphill from the road but not much longer than the FL2. A nice brick wall awaits at the top if I overdo it. I usually reverse up the drive with some revs on and cover the brake to control the speed.

Last nght the drive was covered in snow. I selected the Grass Snow programme and tried reversing onto the drive. Struggled quite a bit. Wheel spin that was killed by the traction control till the vehicle stopped then slid off the drive.

So the thought occurs, does the Terrain System actually function when reversing? Would I be better trying it forward?

To put it in perspective before I got the FL2 I'd have to leave the car at the bottom of the drive and clear the snow before attempting to get on. I was rather hoping all that LR Technology would stop the need for that.

Any ideas on the best way to get up the slope in the snow, bearing in mind I can't really rush it without risking putting dents in things?

Cheers Dave MY14 SD4 Metro Auto

Post #315176 13th Jan 2017 1:50 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

Turning off the DSC might help, but if you're finding you're sliding down after stopping then you bascially just don't have enough grip. Better tyres are about the only solution to that one.

If the part of the slope you're parking on is covered in snow then I'd be very careful - the car could slide off even after it's parked, or when the snow starts to melt. A few times now I've seen parked cars sliding about in snowy sloping car parks, with some minor damage as a result.

Post #315177 13th Jan 2017 2:01 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

i have parked out side my office before and the car door was closed and i stepped away, to see the FL2 sliding down the slope, rear wheels locked and skidding

But yes the TR does work in reverse, as well as forward, but ice is ice and that lost the grip Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #315181 13th Jan 2017 2:32 pm
stooby

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Rimini Red

Hi DJ,

I have similar issues reversing up our snowy drive. We have about 5 inches on the drive. Driving up seems easier than reversing up. However there are a couple of things which make a difference for me. Generally if I am nose first I already have a bit of momentum. Secondly reverse gear is really tall. I have a manual and I often stall it reversing up the slope. I recall that on my LR Experience day they made a point of explaining the TR systems work in reverse too. So I always put it down to my technique.
Stooby

Post #315228 14th Jan 2017 9:38 am
taztastic

England 

The TR does work in reverse, however, it's totally different than going forward.
I was on a very ( very) steep slope last summer on a beach car park, I pulled into a space and needed to reverse 12-15 foot back up hill. The car rolled forward when I selected reverse even though it's an auto, and I panicked at first, gave it the beans and it sat there, started to smell bad, like burning clutch type of smell, had to give it more throttle and span the rear tyres up, eventually managed to get it to reverse but it wasn't easy.
The only explanation I can think of is the Haldex was having to send power to the wheels opposite to that it was designed to do?

Post #315242 14th Jan 2017 10:35 am
GSKM

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Orkney Grey

If the car could reverse up a slope that it then slips down when the handbrake is engaged it sounds like the traction control is really good.
Gav.

Post #315250 14th Jan 2017 11:38 am
DJ

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Orkney Grey

Thanks for all the info. Good to know TR works in both directions.

I does sound like forward is the way to attempt this. I think next time it snows I'll find a nice open slope and experiment a bit.

Re slidng off the drive. What happened was, I got up the slope with the system doing it's job, put it in N and tried to adjust the position on the brakes.... Wrong thing to do perhaps!

Next attempt I got her up the slope and into Park straight away. Turned the wheels to full lock and she seemed happy staying on the slope. Of course it could be that the various wheel spins etc had cleared things a bit and grip was a bit better second time around??

Thanks all

Dave MY14 SD4 Metro Auto

Post #315376 15th Jan 2017 5:23 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Years ago when I was a teenager I was driving with a mate up a steep snowy hill near Holmfirth in my mum's MGB. Half way it lost traction and refused to go any further up the hill. We stopped, put handbrake on and got out to warn approaching traffic also coming up. The car then starting sliding backwards back down the hill with the rear wheels still locked. Luckily the weight of the engine spun the front right around so it was facing down hill, giving us the opportunity to jump back in and steer it safely to the bottom.

The transmission handbrake on older Landrovers (series, defenders and discoveries) always seemed a good idea for off-road vehicles; adding a handbrake to the front wheels in effect; even more so if the axle diffs are locked. Ive always been mindful that the Freelanders have only a car type handbrake and may not be as effective in a steep head down slope when the weight is off the rear wheels.
Do the later Discos and Range Rovers have Transmission brakes are do they just brake the rear wheels ? Jules

Post #315378 15th Jan 2017 6:01 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1