« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > SPARE WHEEL SIZE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Acciola

Malta 
SPARE WHEEL SIZE

Im going overland with my FL2 and might have to borrow a spare wheel since I dont have one. Problem is I use the slightly oversized 245/70/R17 Grabber AT tyres and im not sure if a standard wheel will be ok to use since the diameter will not be quite the same. Will this cause any damage if used till one finds a place to fix a puncture?

Post #314698 7th Jan 2017 5:35 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Any wheel is better than no wheel, just keep the use of the spare wheel to the absolute minimum. No one wants flat tyres, we carry a full size spare as insurance, more insurance with a second spare, as pretty much everyone does traveling around in Australia.

Also take a tyre repair kit & compressor (not the cheap rubbish). If in the bush it is better to repair a tyre if you can & save your good type for more serious tyre damage that cannot be repaired.

Click image to enlarge

I have now added 2 cooling fans.
Click image to enlarge

I woud read everything about tyres on this website. A stack of common sense which few people have these days.
http://www.outbacktravelaustralia.com.au/4wd-mods/tyres-wheels

It is cheaper to buy spares than get stuck without spares! If you have 6 wheels you can rotate 2 at a time every 10K km.

Custom bracket I made to bolt 6th wheel down to second set of cross bars. This wheel has now been rotated to the car.
Click image to enlarge

A 12x50mm piece of 5083 alloy plate in the centre of 3x50mm 6060 alloy flat bar (anodised). I drilled the 5083 structural plate reducing weight by about 200 grams.

The 4 hex blots, 2 into each cross bar, there is a piece of plate inside each roof rack extrusion, & the bolts are tapped into this, not the actual cross bar. With nylon washers between the 3x50 & the cross bars. The curved 3x50 flat bar was simply elbow grease bending it over the cross bar in a bench vice with a bit of paper to protect the cross bar from scratches.
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #314708 7th Jan 2017 9:07 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1