« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > In Car Electronics > New to Freelander
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Solihullman

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
New to Freelander

Hi everyone, sorry to be a pain but just getting used to my 2007 FL HSE and all the gadgets. Having had Discos for the last 20 years its mind boggling. Anyway, having a bit of trouble with the Satnav in as much as it works fine most of the time then every now and again the screen just starts flickering for a few minutes. The disc does have a few scratches but I would like to know if this is the problem before splashing out on a new one.
Also, this is an auto but there is no mention of a dipstick for the auto box in the owners manual. Is there one hidden away somewhere or what other means of checking level is there. Apart from that I can't believe what I have been missing all these years. The engine oil dipstick looks more like a corkscrew, is this normal or has some idiot tried to unscrew it.

Thanks in anticipation

Post #314523 4th Jan 2017 8:40 pm
Walruslike

2013 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

The dipstick comes like that... I am not sure why.

I'm sorry I can't help with your other two questions but there is a ton of helpful and knowledgable folk here who will be along soon I'm sure. Smile

Post #314531 4th Jan 2017 10:19 pm
Solihullman

Thanks for that, one question solved.

Post #314538 4th Jan 2017 10:51 pm
Walruslike

2013 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

You're welcome. That reminded me of a story about my father in law..... It won't be short so feel free to skip. Smile

Many years ago he operated a petrol station and workshop in Normanton in the Gulf of Carpentaria, a remote and far northern part of Australia.

He was an amazingly competant and interesting character who didn't like people in general, and definitely did not suffer fools gladly.... I was never sure how he felt about me... Smile

In the north, those born and bred there often disparage southerners, and the outback folk are amused at the incompetence of city folk. Since Normanton was far north, and far outback, and often on the trip plan for many city-bred southerner 4wd owners, there was a constant stream of aggravating (to him) folk through with unreasonable demands and southern attitudes. If ever there was a mismatch of personality and occupation, then him working in a public-contact service position, was it.. Smile

Back then the service station was full service... he would fill your tank, and check your oil, and pass his experienced eye over your tyres etc. So one day he was checking the oil on a vehicle driven by a Victorian... (almost the furthest south you could be from). They were the worst... they spoke quickly, and drove like loonies, and were starting to move north to retire in droves...

So this blokes oil was low.... so low it didn't register on the dipstick. A miracle he hadn't broken down on the road before making it to Normanton. Rather than explain that to the driver, he used a typical shorthand, yet roundabout way to say it....

"You need a longer dipstick...."

The driver replied...

"Oh, ok, have you got one in stock?"

Still makes me smile thinking about how two people could be on such different wavelengths. Smile

Post #314539 4th Jan 2017 11:00 pm
Solihullman

😅

Post #314540 4th Jan 2017 11:06 pm
Soul Fan

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Havana

Hey there, can't offer much advice about your satnav flicker.

As regards the auto box oil level, there isn't a dip stick or level plug ,such as you might have come across on a rear axle or transfer box.

The box is "sealed for life " but of course all things mechanical need and respond to some tlc. If you use the excellent search facility on here you will find lots of help, explained in a way I cannot Rolling Eyes

I can tell you that you don't top up the oil, you go through a ritual of empty, refill, empty, refill etc.

Perhaps not the help you wanted but I managed to do it after searching and reading Shocked

It does run sweet, worth doing! Back in the fold after 8 yrs. V8 Disco 300 series-Gone.07 Freelander 2 HSE Auto Rimini Red.
Gone.
2013 HSE Lux Havana ( Brown! )

Post #316102 23rd Jan 2017 11:12 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Solihullman

Thanks for that Soul Fan, it's booked in for cam belt and a full oil change all round on Thursday so looks like I'm on the right track. Sat navy seems to be settling down now so fingers crossed.

Post #316106 23rd Jan 2017 11:58 pm
mcsimmo

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Mauritius Blue

Your wallet will thank you for changing from a Disco to a Freelander, mine certainly did. Updated- Waiting for a Scotland v England 6 Nations home win. 24th Feb 2018
Gone-1972 88 SWB Soft top
Gone-1981 24v FFR Lightweight
Gone-2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS manual
Gone before it bankrupted me- 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto

Post #316119 24th Jan 2017 8:59 am
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Walruslike wrote:
You're welcome. That reminded me of a story about my father in law..... It won't be short so feel free to skip. Smile

Many years ago he operated a petrol station and workshop in Normanton in the Gulf of Carpentaria, a remote and far northern part of Australia.

He was an amazingly competant and interesting character who didn't like people in general, and definitely did not suffer fools gladly.... I was never sure how he felt about me... Smile

In the north, those born and bred there often disparage southerners, and the outback folk are amused at the incompetence of city folk. Since Normanton was far north, and far outback, and often on the trip plan for many city-bred southerner 4wd owners, there was a constant stream of aggravating (to him) folk through with unreasonable demands and southern attitudes. If ever there was a mismatch of personality and occupation, then him working in a public-contact service position, was it.. Smile

Back then the service station was full service... he would fill your tank, and check your oil, and pass his experienced eye over your tyres etc. So one day he was checking the oil on a vehicle driven by a Victorian... (almost the furthest south you could be from). They were the worst... they spoke quickly, and drove like loonies, and were starting to move north to retire in droves...

So this blokes oil was low.... so low it didn't register on the dipstick. A miracle he hadn't broken down on the road before making it to Normanton. Rather than explain that to the driver, he used a typical shorthand, yet roundabout way to say it....

"You need a longer dipstick...."

The driver replied...

"Oh, ok, have you got one in stock?"

Still makes me smile thinking about how two people could be on such different wavelengths. Smile

Laughing Laughing

Post #316174 24th Jan 2017 8:44 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Walruslike wrote:
The dipstick comes like that... I am not sure why.

I'm sorry I can't help with your other two questions but there is a ton of helpful and knowledgable folk here who will be along soon I'm sure. Smile

I would imagine that the corkscrew will allow the flat bladed dipstick to curve in two axis easily; this should help the dip stick to slide easily around alternate axis turns.

Post #316175 24th Jan 2017 8:48 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red
Re: New to Freelander

Solihullman wrote:
The engine oil dipstick looks more like a corkscrew, is this normal or has some idiot tried to unscrew it.

You have the Aussie engine version then. Those sold in the Middle East have to be pointing towards Mecca to be able check the oil. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #316188 24th Jan 2017 9:55 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1