« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Running Costs Per Year Per Year of Manufacture
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red
Running Costs Per Year Per Year of Manufacture

With so many interested owners on this site it could be a good barometer to see if one years production run seems worse than another or say after several years old these cars become a money pit too far.

I will throw on here at the end of this year any unexpected costs over and above normal fixed costs like servicing and tyres etc. Listing items replaced and cost outside warranty may help build a useful resource.

Anyone else see any merit in this ? FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #313790 23rd Dec 2016 10:50 pm
Bobbyg

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Indus Silver

It's a good idea,you could find out the modification done by LR.but not recalled or fixed by the dealers,such as the extra earth lead,the removal of the baffles on the plastic manifold.and any others which we need to know of.

Post #313794 23rd Dec 2016 11:18 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

From my history below I would say that 08 was a vintage year as the car was very reliable up to 99k when we moved it on. In addition, my brother in law has an FL2 which is 59 reg which hasn't had any problems up to about 115k miles. After that the rot set in. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #313807 24th Dec 2016 11:54 am
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Our low mileage 09 had had 3 major problems, and now looks like it has a punctured aircon core. In a couple of months we have had it pushing 6 years. costs Excluding service brakes and tyres : depreciation on cash purchase has been say £9000 ( £16500 down to an estimated £7500 trade in ) big costs , £1300 steering rack ( 50% rebate from LR but let's ignore that as an 09 buyer today would not get that ) . £500 for electrical problem resolution , £120 rear door lock, £ 850 for rear diff exchanged and Haldex serviced , ( last two jobs by independents) if we add on say £500 to get the aircon sorted the non service repairs will have cost around £2800 in 20,000 miles.

However, it is far from a money pit as allowing a further £ 2500 pounds for six years servicing and tyres The total cost of ownership has been 9000+2800+2500 = £ 14300 just under £2400 per annum. Even a couple of smart repairs for car park scratches doesn't change that much.

In fact it drives do nicely we can't see any real need to change it, and I've just spent £600 on a big chassis clean and waxoyl as we will keep it at least 3 years.

I think where these cars might get expensive is for people who are just buying into say 07,08,09 10, at garage forecourt prices ( which are astonishingly high for an older vehicle ) , on finance, get hit with repairs, many of which don't have a budget solution due to the complexity of the vehicle. 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #313811 24th Dec 2016 2:06 pm
dorsetfreelander

I am surprised that you are relaxed about the tco since you are only doing about 3.3k miles/year and it is costing you £2.4k per annum? I know that there isn't much you can do about depreciation but these are expensive vehicles to own and maintain. Members of my family have been horrified by the problems that we have had. My nephew was complaining recently about his Mitsubishi 04 reg pickup which has just failed MOT as it needs a bit of welding done, he has done over 150k with no problems and that's his work vehicle so leads a hard life.
Our FL2 mileages and repair bills have been higher than yours and all of the problems covered by warranty but at 76+k miles I will shortly be faced with a choice with my current 11 plate, do I spend £950 for another extended warranty with LR assist or trade it in? It's easy to say put the £950 towards repairs but with an older vehicle repairs will become more, rather than less likely. There is a human tendency to say that it's been OK up to now so it will be OK in the future but that's not logical and unfortunately my FL2 will probably have to go in the spring.

ps the rear washer started pumping water into the back of the car yesterday 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #313813 24th Dec 2016 3:08 pm
Yorky Bob

ps the rear washer started pumping water into the back of the car yesterday

Dorset you have been around long enough like me to have driven cars with no washers at all front or back. Man up Sir. Laughing FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #313818 24th Dec 2016 4:00 pm
Bobbyg

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Indus Silver

Martyn b what was the expensive electrical problem,I,m close Huddersfield and looking at the cost of running a freelander2 and keeping it on the road.

Post #313819 24th Dec 2016 4:10 pm
Yorky Bob

MartynB wrote:

I think where these cars might get expensive is for people who are just buying into say 07,08,09 10, at garage forecourt prices ( which are astonishingly high for an older vehicle ) , on finance, get hit with repairs, many of which don't have a budget solution due to the complexity of the vehicle.

My thoughts were being galvanised around this aspect. Lots of tears on the horizon possibly and hence my thoughts on seeing were the costs are heading in early examples.

Lets get them recorded.

Our FL2 this year has had the typical tyres and servicing (mostly by me) but really only problem above this has been a failed tail door switch that cost less than £27 to sort myself and I renewed the key fobs at £9 each (swap innards over). Doing a Haldex service and all the other transmission oils cost a few quid but that was a personal choice so not going to count that cost but would hope to see it repay in reliability down the line.

Once we get into March it will be a year without an extended warranty, fingers crossed and Happy Christmas to one and all. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #313820 24th Dec 2016 4:12 pm
dorsetfreelander

Yorky Bob wrote:

Dorset you have been around long enough like me to have driven cars with no washers at all front or back. Man up Sir. Laughing

Yes indeed, but I expect the washer to be washing the outside of the car rather than the inside Laughing . I do remember fitting one of those hot water bottle shaped systems under the bonnet with a thumb activated pump on the dashboard to my Morris Marina and getting wet trousers when it started leaking. Looked as if I had p Censored ed myself when I got out of the car sometimes. Sad 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #313821 24th Dec 2016 4:21 pm
Yorky Bob

Marina, now that was a car and half. Whistle

One half had a drum brake and one half had a disc fitted on one I pre-delivered at the main agents. Rolling with laughter

To say it pulled slightly to one side would be a vast understatement ! Rolling Eyes FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #313826 24th Dec 2016 5:11 pm
dorsetfreelander

Talking of running costs, my son uses his own car mainly for business. He was paid the standard 45p/ mile for the first 10k miles and then 25p (plus a salary supplement to make it the equivalent of about 30p) and doing 35k miles/year found that he was losing money when it came to replacement of his FL2 every couple of years. Has anyone else found themselves in this position? 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #313862 25th Dec 2016 12:26 pm
Yorky Bob

Dorset does your son get the same rate if he had car say £10,000 cheaper ? My wife gets a car allowance and spends it all on her car, she could drive say a small car but chooses to have a sports car so has to spend her own money to fund that. Big difference will be she now does very few company miles so her car is only doing 5K a year. A lot more miles going on the FL2 even though I am retired. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #313864 25th Dec 2016 12:45 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

be careful with numbers, a good statistician can make them lie Shocked

lets say 10,000 miles at 45p per mile, then 15,000 at 30p per mile, that's £9k
Fuel cost of say £1.10 per litre and 30mpg gives £4,170, and service parts of £1k depreciation on a 2008 car with 180k on the clock = 1p because it's worth nothing (to a dealer) anyway

Gives £3,830 profit Razz

Wait a minute I'm self employed, so that £9k, is actually only £1,800 - that's the amount the tax benefit is on £9k

so £3830 profit is now £3,370 loss Crying or Very sad

Then again, I get to drive 25,000 miles in a car I really enjoy, so cost (or profit) doesn't even come into it.

Merry Christmas to everyone Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #313868 25th Dec 2016 1:41 pm
dorsetfreelander

Son stopped using FL2s due to continued problems getting in the way of him doing his job. He and his colleagues, who used to use FL2s a lot do high miles on and off road and need reliability so running a high miler is not really an option. So this time went for a 6 month 3k miles L200 demonstrator £24k inc service pack and 5 yr warranty in January 2016. However he has now accepted a job in Kenya so sold the L200 last week with 34k on it and reckons that he probably made a small loss. So I think the answer, as far as he is concerned, is that you can't run an FL2 on high business miles and break even. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #313870 25th Dec 2016 2:30 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

dorsetfreelander wrote:
I am surprised that you are relaxed about the tco since you are only doing about 3.3k miles/year and it is costing you £2.4k per annum? I know that there isn't much you can do about depreciation but these are expensive vehicles to own and maintain. Members of my family have been horrified by the problems that we have had. My nephew was complaining recently about his Mitsubishi 04 reg pickup which has just failed MOT as it needs a bit of welding done, he has done over 150k with no problems and that's his work vehicle so leads a hard life.
Our FL2 mileages and repair bills have been higher than yours and all of the problems covered by warranty but at 76+k miles I will shortly be faced with a choice with my current 11 plate, do I spend £950 for another extended warranty with LR assist or trade it in? It's easy to say put the £950 towards repairs but with an older vehicle repairs will become more, rather than less likely. There is a human tendency to say that it's been OK up to now so it will be OK in the future but that's not logical and unfortunately my FL2 will probably have to go in the spring.

The way I look at it is I we needed a 4x4, it's not optional where we live. I bought approved used in summer, low spec car ,someone had taken a 12k hit already. The risk of buying used and driving low miles was lack of warranty or cost of warranty v repair. If I keep the car another 3 years irrespective of the mileage the car will probably always be worth 7k. Touch wood , it will get by on only services and a couple of tyres. So might end up costing me 2grand a year TCO. In real life that's not much to have a car on the drive and indeed a car that is nice to drive . I could have lost a whole lot more just by buying a new vehicle and taking the depreciation hit.

You are correct of course Thumbs Up the faults should not be there,

and I would advise anyone buying and older Freel 2 to do it with their eyes open. It was one of the major reasons I bought the Subaru Outback ( which I love more every day - it just suits my lifestyle and ) . I've owned LR products for knocking on 30 years, and when the Freelander goes it will be the end of an era for me. 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #313882 25th Dec 2016 7:14 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>