« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Flat battary
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Bobbyg

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Indus Silver
Flat battary

Hi as a new owner,just how bad is the freelander with the flat battary issues and the strange wiring it-shut down times.have there been any recalls by LR to sort there problems out not impressed so far.

Post #313778 23rd Dec 2016 8:18 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

If your battery is over 5 years old it'd probably ready for replacement, have you got the extra earth lead ? These cars burn a lot of power and using a battery conditioner will help you with starting in most standard situations. Lots of ideas if you use the search side of these pages. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #313784 23rd Dec 2016 9:41 pm
Bobbyg

Hi Yorkybob I have fitted the extra earth lead,I have checked the current drain as being 1.65 amps with the bonnet open .traced voltage across f6 removed that ,locked bonnet switches down and now down to 0.99amps.each time I connect the ammeter in I get a solaniod dropping in trying to trace it.the battary is only 2 months old.i used to the vw reliability .i will set up the test again using a clip on ammeter and a timed shut down of the systems,if that's how it works.
Bob

Post #313793 23rd Dec 2016 11:11 pm
ad210358

England 

When you have checked the drain on the battery, how long have you left it before checking, it will still draw for around 35 minutes before it goes to sleep.

https://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/us..._Table.png p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #313795 23rd Dec 2016 11:19 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

Bobbyg wrote:
i used to the vw reliability .

Really? I only know one VW owner. He had had the battery replaced twice before I explained that he had an overcharging problem with the alternator (Lichtmaschine - I had to look it up). After which his VW agent "discovered" the problem and fitted a new one. But his 15-year old BMW - still going strong! Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
300TDi Disco (bought new - terrible car) sent back after 18 months
Freelander 1 Estate - leased, given back at end of lease
200TDi Disco (bought from a mate with 100,000 on the clock) - Gone
Disco 2 TD5 - sold and exported to France
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone
FR2 SD4 HSE - Now changed for a DS
New model ex-demo Evoque S 180 in white
Unable to order a new DS, so gave up. Now have a Volvo S90 Recharge.

Post #313796 23rd Dec 2016 11:40 pm
Yorky Bob

Bobbyg wrote:
Hi Yorkybob I have fitted the extra earth lead,I have checked the current drain as being 1.65 amps with the bonnet open .traced voltage across f6 removed that ,locked bonnet switches down and now down to 0.99amps.each time I connect the ammeter in I get a solaniod dropping in trying to trace it.the battary is only 2 months old.i used to the vw reliability .i will set up the test again using a clip on ammeter and a timed shut down of the systems,if that's how it works.
Bob

Mine gets long runs but only just holds a usable charge as these little devils just love eating those amps. When it starts giving serious electrical problems its for sale. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #313797 23rd Dec 2016 11:43 pm
Bobbyg

Hi will try the timing method with a clip on metre as not happy to use an ammeter in line for that length of time.as for the vw thing I always us an old school garage as meny dealers lack the expertise and experience of the old guys.never a a flat battary on my golfs ,polo,s in 20 years,

Post #313798 23rd Dec 2016 11:57 pm
Yorky Bob

Past master wrote:
Bobbyg wrote:
i used to the vw reliability .

But his 15-year old BMW - still going strong!

One of our new BMW's lasted 2 hours in our ownership before being rejected and replaced a short while later at no cost. Whistle Vastly overrated now and customer service is shocking.

Mind you customer care seems ever harder to find in all walks of modern life. Rolling Eyes FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #313799 24th Dec 2016 12:07 am
Bobbyg

I agree but they do share the baffle problem with the freelander,only there's are metal and more destructive .

Post #313800 24th Dec 2016 12:12 am
768will

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Bali Blue

BobbyG,
it might help if you gave more vehicle details, ie Year ,Model, Mileage etc.
If you were so impressed with VW reliabilty why not a Tiguan or similar.
Finally, you can't compare electrical systems on 20 years of Polos etc. Modern day vehicles (including VW's) are worlds apart. 11 GS Bali Blue
07 GS FL2. Usually muddy. Gone
Numerous LRs since 1963

Post #313810 24th Dec 2016 2:03 pm
Bobbyg

Hi ok my freelander is a 57 plate.97000 on the clock.it started with the flat battary around 2 months ago,pre owned by my son for two years.in which time it had the wiper assembly changed,plastic inlet manifold baffles falling into the engine.which meant new injectors head gasket ,timing belt.big bucks repair.the final straw for him went to trade in to get .yes be tigaun if that's how you spell it.i got it for the px price so I thought I would give it a go.even though I am midway through a series three 88 coiler rebuild.my everyday car is the golf gtd mk7 all singing all dancing drive it's self car.the freelander is to go where the golf will not go before the series three is done.i did not expect this much work to keep it going.

Post #313817 24th Dec 2016 3:59 pm
WGG1848

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey
Battery Warning on startup

Since buying my Freelander, I have had the battery warning message appearing.
Every service it has been checked, along with keeping the car in overnight. Every time it comes back as sorted!
Latest service again raised this is issue as having come back from holiday the battery needed jumping at the airport to get us home.
Again at the service last week it was kept in overnight and given a clean bill of health.
The car was delivered back, but would not lock correctly. The rear two passenger doors would not lock!
Back it went, with the comment of 'two new door motors wanted'! As it turned out it just wanted remapping.
So, I took advice and bought a CTEK Trickle charger.
The charger showed, after being left on overnight, that the battery was fully charged.
Great I thought, but no, on start up, up popped the low battery warning!
This is one of those niggles which is driving me nuts. One Discovery, gone
Now on third Freelander 2
2013 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Post #314221 31st Dec 2016 8:27 am
Winslet

United Kingdom 

WGG1848 - I have a Freelander same age as yours, for s few months I had a similar message on the radio about a low battery on start up, plus it would never allow me to keep the radio on for long before shutting down. I tried the trickle charger method, which showed a fully charged battery, but to no avail. Changed the battery for a new one - a higher spec Bosch in my case. All solved. Despite the original battery not being that old, it couldn't maintain a healthy voltage for long. HTH. 2016 BMW X3 30d SE in red
MY2013 SD4 XS Firenze Red, 19" 10 spoke contrast paint wheels, Signature Strips, Grand Black Lacquer trim, Cold Climate Pack - gone!
2007 TD4 S Stornoway Grey - gone!

Post #314787 8th Jan 2017 9:53 pm
Bobbyg

Hi my battary problem ,I removed the fuse which supplied the radio now it's first time starting .this same fuse also supplies the parrot device I believe and the front 12v socket on the consol.next job is to remove the radio and isolate the radio,parrot and 12v socket individually .i found measuring the volt drop across the fuse to be the best way to fault find.there is a chart you can download that gives you a table of fuse size against voltage to give you a current.is there an external door light switch or do you have to manually punch in the door look.the search goes on.

Post #314788 8th Jan 2017 10:06 pm
Bogart

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey

Have found that battery indications on the FL2 are odd to say the least. I recently had a flat battery, was my fault as had left on 3rd party sat nav overnight. Putting battery on charge when connected to vehicle was soon showing as charged odd I thought. In fact would still not start. Battery showed 12.35v. Took battery off vehicle to charge. In this instance took quite a few hours to charge but then did get to 12.7v Was still not convinced battery was good so bought a new one and so far no problems.
I bought this battery

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221958357415 for £58 whereas Eurocar parts want £123 for same battery!

Odd thing is they are one and the same company no idea how that works.

Post #314848 9th Jan 2017 4:48 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>