« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Ctek connection?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Dakers

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Indus Silver
Ctek connection?

Just remembered I've got an used CTEK MXS 5 in the garage, after I heard my Freelander take quite a few attempts to start at lunchtime today when the girlfriend went out.
I was thinking about hooking it up on the driveway for a day to see if it helps it out, but I was confused about the connection of it. It came with eyelet connectors (which I think were lost along the way) and these would have connected directly to the battery terminals.

That leaves me with the crocodile clips that are still in the box... however, in the manual (pic uploaded) it says to connect the negative terminal to somewhere on the chassis? That's confusing me?? Confused Surely the eyelet connectors don't do that?

If I need to place the black clip somewhere, would there be anywhere that you guys would recommend (perhaps verbally described as I'm not mechanically minded!)

Post #312356 30th Nov 2016 5:21 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

I've never actually used a charger on the Freelander, but generally I must admit that I ignore such instructions and clip directly to the battery - much more convenient.

Post #312357 30th Nov 2016 5:46 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

black to either chassis or battery neg. if you want a permanent connection buy a new ctek eye cable not too pricey some people fit the connection in the boot for simplicity, its all one here somewhere

seach 'ctek' and look around At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #312358 30th Nov 2016 5:51 pm
CliveS

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

You can clip the negative connector directly to the battery, it will work perfectly fine.

The only reason that I'm aware of for connecting it elsewhere is to reduce the risk of explosion if you get a spark when disconnecting due to a build-up of hydrogen gas around the battery, with an open car bonnet this seems highly unlikely and in any case, if you switch off the Ctek from it's supply first, then there should be no sparks anyway.

Post #312359 30th Nov 2016 5:56 pm
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I use an adapter that connects through my 13-pin trailer socket. Don't even need to open the bonnet. 😊 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #312363 30th Nov 2016 8:31 pm
seriesonenut

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Hi
And I have a ctek connector that plugs into the accessory socket (live one) which is useful providing you do not have to secure the car. In a garage its fine.

Post #312364 30th Nov 2016 8:41 pm
Dakers

Thanks all. It'd be on the driveway, so bonnet wouldn't be open. Is that still such a concern, especially if the eyelet connectors were being used in the same way?
I've been doing some more searching, and wondered if there's still a permanent live on my MY14 XS somewhere?
I've read it was there in the slightly earlier years, but haven't found anything definitive on here to say there's still one on the later years?
The cigarette lighter adapter might be useful, in case I have to ever lay up my girlfriends Mini, and can transfer it to there. Failing that I'll just go get a ruler out and go measure up the battery terminals, for the eyelet connectors and be done with it, once I dare to take the engine cover off for the first time Smile

Post #312397 1st Dec 2016 10:06 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

I assume you need something like this:

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Product.do?m...GwodragOwg FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #312408 1st Dec 2016 10:44 am
Dakers

Yes, thanks for that. I've got one like that in my Amazon basket at the moment. Just need to measure up the battery terminals to find the right eyelet size.

Still curious about the existence of a permanent live lighter socket in the later year cars though.

Post #312410 1st Dec 2016 10:49 am
SakoQuad

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

I bought the adaptor to plug into accessory socket in the boot and charge mine overnight on the drive with no problems. The boot closed easily over the cable which ran under garage door to socket in garage.
Haven't had to use it since buying new battery though.

Post #312466 1st Dec 2016 10:41 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

I have a 50amp Anderson plug wired at the battery (with rubber cover) for my compressor which if necessary would use the connector to charge the battery. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #312476 2nd Dec 2016 6:34 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1