Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Which winter / snow tyres ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Gecko

Vatican 
Which winter / snow tyres ?

Just booted the FL2 with it's winter footwear and have now got a set of Michelin ALPIN winter tyres on. What do other folk use just out of interest ? It's not that I expect much snow (although that would be nice) but I do reckon that having decent tyres during the cold wet winter months is a good idea.

Click image to enlarge

Post #30440 4th Nov 2008 2:33 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

I'm just using what was fitted to the car when bought...not that we will see much snow over here Big Cry

Goodyear Wrangler's all round (no pun intended Whistle ) ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #30441 4th Nov 2008 4:03 pm
KAV

Just put some Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snow on mine. The reviews seemed great. I plan to drve on these year round.

Post #30442 4th Nov 2008 4:21 pm
Gecko

Vatican 

Dave wrote:
I'm just using what was fitted to the car when bought...not that we will see much snow over here Big Cry

Goodyear Wrangler's all round (no pun intended Whistle )

Dave
You'll be likely to have more snow in Aberdeen that I'll see in Belgica. I normally have the Goodyear Wranglers on mine but have just swapped them for these Michelins just for the winter. The amount of surface water on the roads over here is the biggest problem. Many of the motorways and main roads are concrete so they don't drain at all well and having some decent boots fitted in the winter is a good idea. It'll be fun if we do get some snow but in any case I'm over near Dartmoor in January for a wedding so maybe I'll get to try them out for real then Thumbs Up

Post #30443 4th Nov 2008 5:03 pm
Gecko

Vatican 

KAV wrote:
Just put some Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snow on mine. The reviews seemed great. I plan to drve on these year round.

Snow & Ice tyres all year round..... you must be a Manitoba man Wink

I lived near Winnipeg for 3 years when I was younger - I seem to remember some pretty amazing amounts of snow in the winter - mind you as a 5 year old it was just fun and I didn't worry about what tyres were on dad's car . He had a skiidoo in the garage Thumbs Up

Last edited by Gecko on 10th Nov 2008 2:09 pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #30445 4th Nov 2008 5:05 pm
philsh

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Loire Blue
Michelin ALPIN winter tyres

Nice tyres mate. How much were they? Are you going to use them all year round or do you have a change of wheels for the summer?? Thumbs Up Gone - TD4 XS Auto, Sumatra Black, Mud flaps and side strips, clear indicators, private plate, privacy glass

Post #30447 4th Nov 2008 5:11 pm
nza

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Baltic Blue

I have the Toyo Open Season G-02 plus. They are the cat's ass.
It's not a snow tire unless it has this:

I did most of my research on Canadian sites:
http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?tirebran...%2D02+plus

I chose this tire because it can still do mountains and off roady bits... Armchair Commando

Last edited by nza on 4th Nov 2008 7:40 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #30449 4th Nov 2008 5:26 pm
philsh

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Loire Blue

These seem to do very well too:-

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...de+Tour+HP

Any experiences with them as they're Censored expensive?

Thumbs Up Gone - TD4 XS Auto, Sumatra Black, Mud flaps and side strips, clear indicators, private plate, privacy glass

Post #30451 4th Nov 2008 5:33 pm
Backslash

Switzerland 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Alaska White

i am using this one with size 235/65-17. very nice winter tire. Thumbs Up FL2 TD4 HSE Auto - White - Ebony Leather

Post #30522 6th Nov 2008 9:18 am
bjartin

Denmark 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

I am very happy with mine:
DUNLOP SP WINTER SPORT M2 235/65 R 17
104H 210 km / h
7.5 J x 17ch = 17 inch, 5-split Spoke Alloy - 235/65 AT

LR Freelander2 2,2 Td4 HSE manuel Stornaway Grey (Metallic) & Ebony Black Leather & Sun/Moon-roof & Bi-Xenon & Roof Rails & Tow bar & Body side rubbing strips & Cold climate pack & Privacy glass & NavTeq . Production Date: 11/5-2007 in Halewood.

Sorry, but I have changed to Defender 90 ", and I love my" tractor ".
http://www.youtube.com/bjartin

Post #30539 6th Nov 2008 6:19 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

My winter boots are Michelin Latitude X-Ice 225/70 R16 1020 M+S. (non-studded). http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?tirebran...de+X%2DIce
The Latitude range has been developed especially for 4x4 winter use, which after last winters driving experiences, I can thoroughly recommend. On previous cars I have only used studded winter tyres, but the Latitude's performed excellently in very slippery ice conditions as well as in deep snow. In wet and dry winter conditions they also performed much better than any other winter tyre I have used. The Latitude X-Ice have also had very good reports in several tests I have seen lately.

In Nordic countries 16" or 17" wheels are recommended for the Fl2 in real winter conditions and as Viking mentioned in another thread, anything larger than 17" are pretty useless in our winter conditions. 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Last edited by AndyC on 7th Nov 2008 8:51 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #30554 6th Nov 2008 10:38 pm
AndyC

philsh wrote:
These seem to do very well too:-

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...de+Tour+HP

Any experiences with them as they're Censored expensive?

Thumbs Up

They look to be a good all round tyre, but defiantly not a real winter tyre Exclamation 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #30571 7th Nov 2008 8:45 am
vermox

Sweden 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

Last night I collected my winter shoes - 225/75 x 16 studded Cooper Discoverer M+S on steel rims, I've used the same tyres on my old range rover before and was then very pleased. They look the business! But I guess studded tyres are out of the question for continental driving Smile

Post #31377 20th Nov 2008 12:12 pm
AndyC

vermox wrote:
Last night I collected my winter shoes - 225/75 x 16 studded Cooper Discoverer M+S on steel rims, I've used the same tyres on my old range rover before and was then very pleased. They look the business! But I guess studded tyres are out of the question for continental driving Smile

They are the smartest to use in Scandinavian countries but outlawed in the rest of Europe. However the environmentalists here are telling us we should use studless winter tyres, so the general trend is this route if you do not absolutely need studded . This is the first time for many years I have gone down this route and so far so good after last winter in the FL2. They don’t get real winters in the UK, so that’s why many drive on summer tyres all year round. 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.

Post #31378 20th Nov 2008 12:56 pm
Gecko

Vatican 

AndyC wrote:
vermox wrote:

They are the smartest to use in Scandinavian countries but outlawed in the rest of Europe. However the environmentalists here are telling us we should use studless winter tyres, so the general trend is this route if you do not absolutely need studded . This is the first time for many years I have gone down this route and so far so good after last winter in the FL2. They don’t get real winters in the UK, so that’s why many drive on summer tyres all year round.

Very true - real winters are scarce in most of Europe . You might get an odd day with a bit of snow but it doesn't tend to last long. Sad

I'm hoping for a real good snow fall in Norway - well at least in Oslo. I'm come up there for New Year's eve and as last year I was in the middle east so I'm looking for some real winter snow this year please Thumbs Up

Post #31388 20th Nov 2008 3:49 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>