Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Alarmed by my alarm ...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey
Alarmed by my alarm ...

Have encountered a strange problem with the alarm.

Had been out in the car earlier today, parked it on the drive, locked it and went in doors. A few minutes later I heard a car alarm ... and thought nothing of it like you do. It cycled on and off over the next few minutes, after a while I decided to investigate only to find out it was my alarm. Shocked

No amount of ****ing about with the remote would stop it. I tried to start the engine, it started no problem but the alarm was stil sounding and going through its cycle (approx 30 seconds on then 30 seconds off). I drove it to a local supermarket car park to avoid upsetting the neighbours. The alarm continued to cycle on and off while I was driving. Shocked

At the car park I opened and closed all the doors, the bonnet and tailgate, again with no effect. I was just about to cal LR asist when the alarm stopped. So I did not bother with LR assist and went home.

The problem has now repeated four times. Checked the doors etc each time, to no effect, it seems what does stop it is repeated turning the engine on and off. All is quiet at present so I hope it will behave through the night, I was intending to call the dealer tomorrow to book a service, looks like I can add this to the list of things to do

The handbook states the alarm should cancel when the key is docked, this certainly wasn't happening, it seems strange the engine would run with the alarm sounding.

Anyone had any similar problem ?? Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!
Company cars ... a thing of the past - May 2013.

Post #30325 3rd Nov 2008 1:29 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

have you tried pulling disconnecting and reconnecting the alarm control box ? I think you can access it via the battery box cover

Possible that a wires come loose and it thinks its been tampered with, I have also heard D3 owners having problems with the bonnet sensor if the bonnets been slammed Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #30337 3rd Nov 2008 12:37 pm
Tandemman

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Rimini Red

Yes i had this problem search "alarm fault" mine did it at the dealers and they fixed it as a software issue, ie take the battery off and then reconnect it Whistle

Post #30339 3rd Nov 2008 12:50 pm
Gambba

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Well that must have been an entertaining drive to the supermarket! Could have made for a nice story if you'd run into the police on your way to the supermarket.......... Once you've tasted GREY you'll never go back!

Post #30340 3rd Nov 2008 12:54 pm
avtur

Gambba wrote:
Well that must have been an entertaining drive to the supermarket! Could have made for a nice story if you'd run into the police on your way to the supermarket..........

Yes, I did get some funny looks ... just missing some blue lights .... ah that takes me back !

Booked in for a service today, and explained a few extra issues above and beyond the 45k service, including the alarm problem. I know the guy I was talking to was the service manager (taking service calls while the girls were on their lunch) he recognised the alarm problem straight away, reckons its a problem with the back up battery in the alarm so is trying to arrange for a replacement to be available for the service date ...

And that brings me to a real shocker .... I rang today at lunch time to book the service. First available is Wednesday (as in day after tomorrow)
AND they can offer a courtesy car Shocked Shocked Shocked Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!

Post #30403 3rd Nov 2008 9:57 pm
nicam

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

It sounds very similar to the fault I had - see later on in this topic;-
http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic2335.html
It is a known fault, and needs the BBS (battery backed sounder) replacing - this is on the bulkhead next to the battery.
If your car has Auto lights and Auto wipers you may have found that they act strangely as well.
I had the BBS changed last week and there has been no further problem.
Get it booked in at the dealer Don`t drive faster than your angel can fly!

Post #30436 4th Nov 2008 12:28 pm
avtur

nicam wrote:

I had the BBS changed last week and there has been no further problem....

That's good news Thumbs Up

Given that they have advance notice of the problem they hope to have a spare BBS to fit during the service tomorrow.

Last night it was a total pain, the alarm went off several times during the night, I slept with the key/remote at my bedside so I could silence it from the bedroom window. Shocked Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!

Post #30474 4th Nov 2008 8:52 pm
avtur

Not quite as planned ...

Car has been serviced today.

The alarm unit is on back order at factory so nothing could be done today. After the problems of the last few days I said I couldn't take the car as it was, my neighbours would string me up if they had to go through another night of my alarm sounding.

Solution ... the alarm sounder has been removed, I am assured that the immobiliser is completely separate and will still function but no alarm until the new part arrives (and no estimate when that might be)

Not happy about it but as long as the car locks and is immobilised then there's not much I can do. I have sent our fleet department a note just to be sure there are no insurnace complications. Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!

Post #30504 5th Nov 2008 8:29 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1