Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Towing Car Transporter - Weights/Limits/Etc...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
choccymonster

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Towing Car Transporter - Weights/Limits/Etc...

Hi all!!

This might be a complete non-starter, but I don't know enough to know!! Hence this post!!

I have a potential requirement to transport a 2008 Ford Fiesta (kerb weight 1041kg) somewhere else in the country. I wondered if I could use my FL2 with the appropriate trailer to do such a thing?

I passed my test back in 1993, so none of the new towing restrictions.

However, I do know that the towing weight calculations are complicated and that the towing capacity of the FL2 isn't amazing.

Assuming the above, I imagine we can work out what the maximum weight of the trailer could be so as to ensure I do not go over the maximum overall weight limits?

Anyone care to do the calculations for me? And assuming it is possible, what sort of trailer they would recommend to try and hire/borrow?

Thanking you muchly in advance!!

Post #311877 23rd Nov 2016 10:31 pm
ReggiePerrin

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

If it helps,

1. the total weight of the towcar, trailer and load must not exceed the plated gross trainweight (GTW) of the tow car. In this case, 4505kg. The plated Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) is 2505 kg leaving a maximum of two tonnes for the towed load.

2. Your Freelander 2 has a maximum braked trailer towing limit of two tonnes. If you exceed this you will also exceed the GTW.

3. The plated maximum technical permitted laden mass (MTPLM) of the trailer must not be exceeded.

You need to hire / borrow a suitably sized car trailer to carry the actual weight of the fiesta (kerbweight is likely to include 68kg for driver, 7kg for luggage and 90% full of of fuel so your fiesta may well weigh in under 1 tonne for transporting).

As long as condition 1 to 3 are complied with you are good to go. Remember that you will need a third FL2 number plate for the trailer and the trailer should ideally be balanced such that not more than 150kg of noseweight is carried on the towball.

Whilst I wouldn't tow a caravan (mine is 1.56 tonnes) of two tonnes, I would happily tow a relatively 'low profile' trailer.

Vehicle and trailer weights is very complex and perhaps even convoluted. Don't overthink it - just stay with plated limits and you'll be ok.

Post #311882 23rd Nov 2016 11:56 pm
Dartman the one

England 

HappyNomad is basically correct, however if you for some reason you are above ( available trailer unladen weight puts the combination of trailer and load above 2000Kg) there are some fudges, the 2000Kg is the gross mass of the towed load, the actual towed load is gross towed load minus nose weight though this is normally 150Kg it is allowed to increase this to 220Kg providing you don't exceed gross axle weights and do not exceed 60mph ( legal towing limit). Most Freely's are below 2000Kg if only carrying just the driver, so the gross train weight is unlikely to be exceeded even with a 220Kg nose weight, the maximum towed load is not a legal weight, though one may have to explain it is not a dangerous overload in case of an incident even though all other weights are within the maximum legal limits.
To put that in a nutshell, you could go over the gross trailer and load weight by about 200Kg providing the Freely is not fully loaded and your nose weight is near the cars maximum allowed, assuming you have an LR tow bar. ( other makes refer to the plate on the tow bar). my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Last edited by Dartman the one on 24th Nov 2016 12:48 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #311888 24th Nov 2016 7:05 am
axle

England 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Santorini Black

My Land Rover tow bar has a 150k maximum nose weight.

Check with VOSA , they will tell you what you can/can't tow. Common sense isn't very common.

Post #311899 24th Nov 2016 11:01 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Is all this being policed ? Rolling Eyes FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #311917 24th Nov 2016 2:55 pm
south wales stu

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Very much so in Wales. There was a spate of people being 'done' for pulling 3.5T plant trailers with jap double cabs locally recently.

Post #311970 24th Nov 2016 9:06 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1