Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > In Car Electronics > Software glitch?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
EYorkshire

Software glitch?

First time in 6 years and two cars and I had a worrying fault today.

Drove into the local town, parked up and single locked, came back 5 minutes later and pressing the fob did nothing. Continuously pressed unlock like you do when panicking but silence so tried a few doors and a few more presses later it unlocked. Started the car but the centre media screen was blank, no LR logo, no radio, satnav, phone, no nothing and noticed the DRL's were on, and after starting if I remember right they don't come on until you move out of 'park' on an auto.

Well my fried breakfast was put on hold and drove straight to Hatfields with the centre media screen still blank, they looked at it straight away and fault codes showed up regarding the events but no fault code to cause them. They did a reset and it locked/unlocked as normal and the LR logo showed on the centre screen, all back to normal.

They had no definitive answer and said hopefully it was a software glitch and a reset cured it, here's hoping.

Post #309893 29th Oct 2016 2:45 pm
Stuartc

Australia 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green

I've not had the infotainment screen go blank on me during normal ignition cycles but it can regularly happen when i'm carrying out my ccf edits. Its not an uncommon occurrence in any Land Rover or Jaguar, same systems. I normally just do a complete MS/HS CAN/MOST reset but as you can't i would suggest all you do is remove the metallic plate from the RJB for a couple of minutes as this will reset the MOST network and should reset the touchscreen.
Locking problem does seem a little suspicious,if this happen again and you cant unlock, remember to use physical key from fob to gain entry through passenger door and then place fob, with buttons facing the floor, against the steering column shroud and you should be able to start the car. This bypasses the Keyless Vehicle Module system which may have not closed down or started up correctly, which may have been what happened in your circumstance. MY15
Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
Surround Camera System
InControl Apps soon to be replaced with CarPlay (WIP)
Meridian Premium Surround Sound
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Meridian Rear Media with WIFI
Factory Powered Tailgate
Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM)
Reverse Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
Electrochromatic Wing Mirrors (WIP)

Post #309895 29th Oct 2016 3:07 pm
EYorkshire

Thanks Stuart Thumbs Up When you say against steering column shroud, I take it buttons downward and against the underneath part of column shroud. It makes sense what you say in that a proper shutdown did not occur.

Post #309897 29th Oct 2016 4:03 pm
taztastic

England 

I have trouble with mine if my phone is near the fob, not had these symptoms but certainly once opened if the phone is near the key I get the 'smart key not found'.
I wonder if you had a phone with the key when it was locked?

Post #309910 29th Oct 2016 8:18 pm
Stuartc

I put my iPhone and key fob next to each other on top of the centre storage and have never had either a screen dropout or recognition malfunction.

MY15
Surround Camera System
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Factory Powered Tailgate

Post #309915 30th Oct 2016 12:07 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

I replaced the original battery in my fob (what I consider second fob as other half uses it, & did then other one as well while I was at it) a few months ago as it showed up on the car that the battery needs replacing.

I put a new battery in & it lasted 5 weeks (at the time I thought It must be a dodgy battery lasting five weeks) Then I put another battery in & it lasted 2 weeks. I had kept the battery & tested them on a $700 multimeter.

The cut off point for a flat battery is around 2.97 volts when the message shows up on the car that the battery needs replacing, but the batteries were being flattened to about 2.8 volts.

I then changed the battery again & it lasted a few days. Now I was getting suspicious that it is something other than the battery.

Then a day or so & the battery failed.

Then a few batteries, a day each.

There obviously is a problem with the fob fattening its battery.

I have used batteries from Panasonic, Duracell & Energizer (there are no Maxell batteries in my area (as original battey)) & have tested them all before putting them in the fob. All have a voltage around 3.25 volts as new & about 2.79 -2.80 volts when they have died other than the original that was 2.975 volts which was changed due to message on the car.

I recently notified Land Rover of the issues with the second fob.

Having said that, after keeping the battery out of the fob for over a few months now & only having 1 fob while on holidays. I have recently put a new battery in this fob & it seems to be working at this stage, but it is only a few days of testing. But it is a worry for the long term!

The dead batteries became apparent just as we went away for a 6 week holiday. I kept 2 spare batteries in my wallet at all times while on holiday just in case the one working fob's battery failed & so so I could pop a battery back into the dodgy fob, a battery to open the car. It was all a bit tedious but not wanting to be stuck beyond the "black stump" due to a dodgy fob was not my idea of a holiday. Today I keep a spare battery in my wallet just in case. A bit of backup/redundancy so to speak.

The rubber on this second fob has separated as happened with the first fob, which Land Rover replaced without hesitation.

I am happy that they replaced the first fob. I am somewhat concerned that the second fob has the rubber separating & also battery issues. More so as we do not flog the car to death as the fobs tend to sit on the shelf as we try to walk everywhere for day to day tasks. To date less than 13,000 km & 5,600 of that was on a holiday around NSW.

Sorry for the long-winded post. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #309920 30th Oct 2016 3:16 am
Stuartc

The battery in the fob can be completed dead/drained and the process I've outlined above will still work. It's based on chip recognition and no power from the fob is required. I know that doesn't help you with your battery drain issue but at least you can relax about being stranded. MY15
Surround Camera System
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Factory Powered Tailgate

Post #309921 30th Oct 2016 4:23 am
EYorkshire

Some things are unexplainable Confused My phone was left in the car under the slidy cover where it normally resides and when its a quick nip into the shops. I suppose its knocked my confidence a little but from now on the more weeks that pass, the more it will become a distant memory (unless it happens again).

Thanks Stuart for the pictures Smile

Post #309934 30th Oct 2016 10:07 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1