« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Australia & New Zealand > Adelaide to the Kimberleys
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Goozle

Australia 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Fuji White
Adelaide to the Kimberleys

Have recently completed a trip in my 2014 SD4 HSE Freelander 2 across some fairly rugged terrain. I changed to 17inch rims with Bridgestone Dueler AT 694 tyres, had a roof rack added and the remainder was standard. We towed a Kimberley Kamper from Adelaide to Broome across the Tanami Track to the Bungles, then onto Broome. From Broome we travelled the Cape Leveque Road, then back to Derby to do the Horizontal Falls tour, then onto the Gibb River Road, to Mitchell Falls and back to the GRR where we suffered a first puncture and only issue with the car or equipment on the trip. After the GRR, we headed home via Katherine, Tennant Creek, Alice Springs & Coober Pedy. We covered 10,000km and the Freelander performed superbly. Some of the corrugations, particularly on the road to Cape Leveque & Mitchell Falls were horrendous and shook us to bits, but the car handled it superbly.

First camp stop on the Tanami (Renahans Bore)

Click image to enlarge

Wolfe Creek Meteor site made (in)famous by the Movie "Wolf Creek"
Click image to enlarge

The corrugated Cape Leveque Road
Click image to enlarge

Bell Gorge, one of many gorges along the Gibb River Raod
Click image to enlarge

One of our camp spots, King Edward River on the way to Mitchell Falls

Click image to enlarge

Horizontal Falls - Seaplane Flight from Derby
Click image to enlarge

Dome at the Bungle Bungle Ranges WA
Click image to enlarge

The end of the Gibb River Road

Post #308325 3rd Oct 2016 5:00 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Great tour!

Our recent tour was a warmup for a northwest tour to iron out things we need or more importantly don't need!

The corrugations were a pain in the neck for our roof rack. Lots of creaking which I did not like. Not wanting to stress the car roof as we want to keep the car for the long term, we drove pretty slowly taking our time. I'm redesigning the roof rack as there is an additional 22kg of pointless metal just to hold a spare wheel and 2 x 10 litres of fuel.

I wanted 17 inch wheels but the car came with 18 inch. So for this trip bought a 6th 18 inch rim. I have a compressor on board (see gallery), also took a tire repair kit. Fortunately no punctures but came across 2 cars with punctures, but both didn't need any help and they each had a second spare!

I removed the footwell & boot light globes about a week into the trip to stop the car triggering the electronics. Sick of getting low battery warnings! I did have 2 x 18 ah batteries for back up. Did see 3 modern cars on the 6 weeks that needed jump starting. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #308328 3rd Oct 2016 6:10 am
mikehzz

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Lago Grey

Nice. Thumbs Up

Post #308407 4th Oct 2016 10:50 am
Vesko

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

Hey Goozle, that is a trip I would like to make myself. Cheers! 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE

Post #308752 10th Oct 2016 11:00 am
Goozle

It's beautiful scenery right throughout the Kimberley's Vesko. I hope you get to do trip one day

Post #308824 11th Oct 2016 9:46 am
Lightwater

Yesterday spoke to someone who got back 10 days ago from a 4 week southern WA 12,000 km tour. They said the scenery with all the flowers was absolutely stunning. They had to modify their route due to the rain. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #308864 12th Oct 2016 1:55 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Thumbs Up Bow down Great trip report. Not sure the hire car company would be too happy with me doing that on my next visit. Rolling with laughter FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #308869 12th Oct 2016 8:07 am
Goozle

That won't be a problem Yorky Bob, plenty of hire cars do the trip. You just need to get on the plane to Australia Smile

Post #309058 15th Oct 2016 4:25 am
Lightwater

Yorky Bob wrote:
Thumbs Up Bow down Great trip report. Not sure the hire car company would be too happy with me doing that on my next visit. Rolling with laughter

If you come for longer you buy an old Ford station wagon for say $4k probably cheaper now (relatives have done this), sleep in the back, drive anywhere you want, if it gets damaged so be it. As long as the unsealed roads are not wet you will get to most places. We bought an old Peugeot to travel around Europe.

In France visiting various vineyards!
 Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #309061 15th Oct 2016 7:38 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Maybe next UK Winter (for me) but as the current Mrs Yorky has never camped I can't see me selling "I am getting a Ford for several weeks for us to live in" going down too well.

The wifes sister now has a house in Melbourne but I have no idea if she has parking say for a smaller 4wd motorhome but that could be a plan. Thumbs Up

Wonder if the sister in law could be talked into getting a FL2. Whistle FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #309103 16th Oct 2016 12:30 pm
FDG

Australia 2015 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Alaska White

Hey Goozle,
My family and I are doing the trip from Melbourne to Darwin in September, I am curious about wether the 2nd spare is needed. I expect to have AT's (Grabber AT3) on the rims, will take a compressor and repair kit. Is the 2nd spare a must? Im also interested in the idea of taking a High quality eski instead of an Engel- did you happen to notice if their was ice along the way on your trip? In terms of recovery gear did you need to use much? What was most useful.
Thanks in advance for any info!!!!
Fraser

Post #323507 17th May 2017 6:38 am
Goozle

Hi Fraser,
If you're trip is Melbourne to Darwin only, being on bitumen roads, you probably won't need the 2nd spare, but if you're going into the Kimberley's on the dirt, with some heavily corrugated roads then I'd suggest you give it serious consideration. A second spare isn't essential, however it will give you some peace of mind. Along the Gibb River Road there are a couple of places that can repair tyres, not so readily available if you're on the more remote roads. I had a fridge, so didn't take much notice of ice being available, but I imagine it would be available at fuel stops that are spaced quite some distance apart. I took snatch straps, Max Trax, spare air filter and tools, thankfully didn't need any of them. The snatch straps & Max Trax might be handy if the water crossings get too muddy. After the good rain this season, the Kimberley & Top End will be fantastic and I only wish I could be doing it again. Goozle

Post #323525 17th May 2017 8:50 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1