« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Scratches on windscreen
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
The Doctor

United Kingdom 
Scratches on windscreen

I noticed that Autoglass say on their website that they can replace scratched windscreens. I know about chip and crack repairs and replacements but I didn't think scratches classed as serious enough.

I've got numerous scratches from the previous owners usage that follow the swipe direction of the wipers. On the passenger side, they are bad enough to mean that the wipers I fitted new in April, miss a bit of rain when sweeping. On the drivers side, no adverse effect like that but they are glaringly obvious in sunlight.

Anyone ever replaced a windscreen based on scratches? I was wondering if it was worth asking Autoglass to take a look. Maybe the scratches will make defrosting even worse come winter time. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #307527 24th Sep 2016 2:08 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Be careful you don't get a stone throw up from the road and crack it. Wink Whistle Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #307528 24th Sep 2016 2:23 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

.22 air rifle type chip, a quick talk with the local teenagers should yield a volunteer... 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #307532 24th Sep 2016 3:57 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Laughing Oops I dropped a brick whilst moving some we had ordered. In a bizarre twist it only hit the windscreen and missed the paintwork altogether. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #307533 24th Sep 2016 4:08 pm
mudslinger

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Sumatra Black

BIG CHIPS IN WALES ( no skinnney fries here )
Had mine replaced on a previous freelander as it was still under warranty insisted like for like heated screen direct from local landrover dealer, they fitted it ( autoglass) never a problem, blxxxy windscreen cover went up next renewal though £45 to £100 still cheaper than dealer price fo screen (£400+ from memory) plus fitting ..!!!
and they use auto glass !!!

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Wales
Were the mud is thicker, and the ruts are deeper.
(And we have the water to wash it off, and more on the way..! )
Sd4 and chrome Ar*e piece, Auto box for best fun
09 Xs Gone
12 xs Gone
HSE with Leather seats and 4 years warrenty.. staying for now !

Post #307571 25th Sep 2016 10:55 am
Glassman

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Manual Indus Silver
Re: Scratches on windscreen

The Doctor wrote:
I noticed that Autoglass say on their website that they can replace scratched windscreens. I know about chip and crack repairs and replacements but I didn't think scratches classed as serious enough.

I've got numerous scratches from the previous owners usage that follow the swipe direction of the wipers. On the passenger side, they are bad enough to mean that the wipers I fitted new in April, miss a bit of rain when sweeping. On the drivers side, no adverse effect like that but they are glaringly obvious in sunlight.

Anyone ever replaced a windscreen based on scratches? I was wondering if it was worth asking Autoglass to take a look. Maybe the scratches will make defrosting even worse come winter time.

If the scratches were 'from the previous owners usage' then your policy will not cover them as the damage occurred before policy inception.

The other advice/suggestions on 'accidentally' breaking your windscreen just gives insurers another reason and justification to hike up the price of providing motor insurance every year. Fraudulent and gratuitous claims are a huge part of it; the cover exists for genuine reasons (all listed in the policy Key Facts) but it does not cover vanity.

HTH

Post #307581 25th Sep 2016 12:23 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Oh I'd never actually see that through and I think the other guys comments are in jest. I have picked up some minor chips during ownership but I believe these are too small to repair looking at their guidelines. If I did call them out to assess any chips, they can assess the entire windscreen then. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #307583 25th Sep 2016 12:38 pm
Glassman

The Doctor wrote:
Oh I'd never actually see that through and I think the other guys comments are in jest. I have picked up some minor chips during ownership but I believe these are too small to repair looking at their guidelines. If I did call them out to assess any chips, they can assess the entire windscreen then.

In all fairness, the insurance company's nominated supplier - despite having a duty to make an assessment on behalf of the insurance company - will be keen to fit a new windscreen regardless of its condition. They'll be very pleased you called and will act on the assumption that by phoning, you pretty much do want a windscreen. Ergo: they'll send someone out with one.

The reality about windscreen repair is that an alarming number windscreens are replaced when repair would have been a better, viable option for both parties. Replacing the windscreen will yield a better return and in some cases gives the repairer a second bite of the cherry (bill for repairing, and then bill for replacing it at a later date).

No insurer will want to see evidence of the "brick" or 'kids with air rifles' etc., so this should please those who 'jest' about banging in frivolous and fraudulent claims. In doing so, at least we can all feel like we've made a contribution.

Also, replacing the windscreen does not guarantee a genuine, 'OE' replacement windscreen. It will more than likely be an aftermarket 'copy' which is not as good as an original (car) manufacturer branded product.

Post #307620 25th Sep 2016 8:09 pm
mudslinger

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Sumatra Black

In my case it did come from local dealer (spoke to them and was told autoglass were on their way round to collect )

anyway Interesting to see how they put them in these days , millimeter perfect , one man job, done in a unit to keep dry and warm.
2 cups coffee and a bacon sarny over the road in local cafe job done .

can,t say if it ever leaked, traded it in 4 weeks later when it needed a service ..!!! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Wales
Were the mud is thicker, and the ruts are deeper.
(And we have the water to wash it off, and more on the way..! )
Sd4 and chrome Ar*e piece, Auto box for best fun
09 Xs Gone
12 xs Gone
HSE with Leather seats and 4 years warrenty.. staying for now !

Post #307641 26th Sep 2016 8:25 am
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Glassman wrote:
........Also, replacing the windscreen does not guarantee a genuine, 'OE' replacement windscreen. It will more than likely be an aftermarket 'copy' which is not as good as an original (car) manufacturer branded product.

Tue, but stick to your guns and hold out for an OE one if that's what you have fitted at present. I did. Mr. Green

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic18704.html? Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #307643 26th Sep 2016 9:40 am
Glassman

It's all very well being prepared to stick to your guns, but the policyholder will get what the policyholder has accepted when the insurance was proposed, ie, before inception. Most will state aftermarket glass. Admiral will pay for genuine parts for cars up to three years-old but more and more insurers will charge a supplement for it.

Contentious issue, and one which I have researched expansively.

Post #307645 26th Sep 2016 9:52 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Mine was replaced by Autoglass roughly 6 years ago been back twice as the heated elements failed. They were not happy the last time as it was outside their current garauntee period.
Good job I kept the original receipt that states that it is garunteed for as long as l keep the car Laughing Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #307656 26th Sep 2016 11:34 am
yorkshirepudding

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Don't know where you are located but came across this on Ebay and remembered this thread.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER-FREEL...Sw37tV9KGE

Seems a good price if it's as described.

Post #307953 28th Sep 2016 4:03 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Don't think it will fit the OP's car Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #307960 28th Sep 2016 6:09 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1