« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Ignoring Service Warning
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red
Ignoring Service Warning

As my MY13 service indicator cannot be reset manually compared with older models with no DPF and needs dealer intervention what happens if you change oil and filter at home and just ignore it ?

Will it go into limp mode and throw toys out of the pram ? FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #308825 11th Oct 2016 10:52 am
Steve D

United Kingdom 

No, it wont go into limp mode. Have you tried the method for this reported elsewhere on here?

1. Turn on the ignition switch
2. Open the bonnet
3. Open the driver door
4. Note: Maintenance resetting information is not displayed on the instrument cluster. Fully depress the accelerator pedal, and brake pedal, and hold for 60s.
5. Turn off the ignition switch
6. Turn on the ignition switch and check whether maintenance information is cleared
7. If maintenance information is not cleared, repeat the procedure. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #308828 11th Oct 2016 1:13 pm
Yorky Bob

Standing on a milking stool in a field with your finger in the air does not work on MY2013 onwards as you have to reset not only the miles to next service but also the DPF burn-off side of things (I await a better description).

So it may well throw the toys out of the pram hence me checking. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #308829 11th Oct 2016 1:24 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

As I understand it from reading in another post, using the above method resets the DPF counter: -

"The oil service required visit dealer message is not a service message, it is indeed to do with the DPF regen.
When the vehicle is serviced, new oil is put in. The vehicle needs to know this, so it can reset it's oil counter to zero.
It then keeps track of the number of DPF regenerations & partial regenerations. Once it has reached a specific limit the 'oil service visit dealer' message comes up, which is independent of the service reset & based solely on the likelihood of oil dilution with diesel because of the partial regenerations.

When the DPF (Diesel particulate filter) needs cleaning, the engine system injects diesel on the exhaust stroke of the engine, in effect pushing this diesel into the exhaust, allowing the CAT to heat up, by burning this diesel, to then clear out the DPF.
The downside of this is it creates a small amount of bore wash allowing some diesel into the sump, diluting it.

The Freelander just counts how many times it injects the diesel, then puts the warning on, to advise you the service needs bringing forward, or risk poor engine lubrication.

A lot of time when the vehicle is serviced, the person servicing it is unfamiliar with the need to reset the oil counter as well as the service reset, and the aftermarket multi makes tools haven't added this function, or if there doesn't work well.
I didn't know of the manual way of doing it, so thanks from Brazil!
We used to use SDD, but iid is much quicker & completes both routines in one go!"

Does this not apply to your model? Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #308830 11th Oct 2016 2:09 pm
Dave47

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Izmir Blue

Cheers Steve, you've just clear up one of life's mysteries for me. Smile DAVE.
I.A.M. F1rst Driver.
Gone 2003 Discovery TD5 Auto,
Gone 1986 Defender 90 Station Wagon
Gone 1984 Range Rover 3.5 Vogue Manual.
Gone 1970 Series 11A/3 SWB 3.5 V8 Hybrid
Gone 1964 Series 11A LWB Van
Gone 1966 Series 11A SWB Van
Gone 1964 Series 11A LWB Station Wagon,

Post #308832 11th Oct 2016 2:31 pm
Yorky Bob

Sounds good Bow down but no real way of finding out until the service indicator comes on and it will get a oil and filter change before then as I am not happy about 15,000 miles between oil changes. So none of it will be in sync and it will cost me upwards of £25 as a cash sale just to get the indicators reset as just in case.

Needs to go there as I want the transfer box oil changing (all other drive oils done) as its not really that easy on the garage floor so will probably get the oil and filter done this time around at the indie.

New ratchet 27mm spanner for engine oil filter is going on order as car does not need to be level to do that on a warm dry day in future. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #308833 11th Oct 2016 2:37 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1