Home > Technical > FL2 Four wheel drive not working
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Thev

2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Fuji White
FL2 Four wheel drive not working

Hi everyone,

Just joined you group though I have reading up from it for quite some time. I recently got a 2012 Freelander 2 HSE with the SD4 engine. After about two months into owing it I found out that it was a accident damaged vehicle and repaired. I have no way of tracking who did the repairs. But yesterday I found out while I was at the beach that only the front wheel works. ( I got completely stuck). The terrain response shows no error messages. I took the jeep to the mechanic and he put it up on the ramp and tried in all different programs of terrain response but only the front two work. HDC works fine though. Scan shows no error codes.
Is it possible that the system needs to be re-programmed after the accident? I'm trying to get hold of the original owner to find out how badly the car was damaged but in the meantime...any thoughts???

Post #306701 13th Sep 2016 1:10 pm
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

FL2 were produced in 2 wheel drive only versions as well as 4WD, with the rear drive shaft missing among other things.

There will be plenty more guys on here who will know for sure what the differences between the 2WD and the 4WD versions were.

Have you tried looking on TOPIX (just search on here for links to the website) which will tell you what the factory build specs were and if it is a factory 2WD or is actually a broken 4WD.

Post #306702 13th Sep 2016 1:30 pm
Thev

Hi RogB,

This is a four wheel drive as its the high spec HSE version. Checked under. the drive shaft is there. Funny thing is the Terrain Response when activated shows no error! But only the front wheel gets drive. at that point rear wheel freely runs.

Post #306704 13th Sep 2016 1:50 pm
MikeBob

South Africa 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Izmir Blue

Either the front diff has packed up or the Haldex has packed up. But either one of those not working would give an error message when you start

Post #306706 13th Sep 2016 1:58 pm
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

unless someone has masked the error code in the software........ or stripped out the internal components of the front diff/transfer box to mechanically make it a 2WD but keeping all the 4WD visual compenants which may not show up an error code.

with FL1 there was a company that advertised they could strip out the Viscous Coupler components internally, so making it a permanent 2WD but still appearing to be a 4WD if you looked underneath.

Post #306708 13th Sep 2016 2:20 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

It's possible the code reader being used doesn't read the ECUs necessary to access the Haldex errors, so there may be errors there that aren't being displayed.

There's a quick check which will help narrow down the problem. The front diff (aka power take-off) is, obviously, at the front, whilst the Haldex is at the back with the rear diff. So, with the car on the ramps and in the Mud and Ruts programme, does the prop shaft running from front to rear turn with the front wheels? If not, the problem is with the PTO. If the prop does turn it's most likely with the Haldex. (This assumes, of course, that all prop shafts, half shafts, Haldex, diffs, etc, are present and correct, but hopfully your mechanic has checked that already.)

Post #306709 13th Sep 2016 2:41 pm
Gromit

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Narvik Black

I had identical issue and it was the rear diff. Not cheap - try contacting Bell Engineering 2007 Black Freelander 2 HSE - hers
2009 Grey XF 2.7D Premiun Lux - mine

Post #306710 13th Sep 2016 2:49 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

There is a small front gearbox that transfers the power from the main gearbox to the rear drive shaft.

If the coupling between the gearboxes fails, or the gearbox itself fails there will be no drive to the prop shaft and hence no power to the rear wheels. This WILL NOT produce an error code.

If the coupling fails, there will be a bang/thump as it fails then no more noise.

For replacements do a search on Bell Engineering. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #306732 13th Sep 2016 10:44 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

I had the front transfer box replaced under warranty and it came to over £1700. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #306742 14th Sep 2016 9:22 am
Thev

Hi pab,

I'll check the prop shaft theory this evening and let you know. Im from Sri Lanka...there is no engineering help here other than Land Rover Dealer. They could not even figure out that this was an accident damaged car in the first place. They have done 02 services with the previous owner and never indicated that this was in a major accident.

Post #306763 14th Sep 2016 1:04 pm
Thev

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the help provided. My tech guy managed to sort it out. It seems that after the accident someone has built a circuit to bypass the system check. Once we removed it and connected it back to the computer and then cleared out all the errors. At the moment four wheel drive works on all modes on the ramp but we have yet to test it on real world conditions. Lots more issues to sort out before putting it on the road. Lets hope for the best...

Post #307324 21st Sep 2016 10:34 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

If they are that clever to build a "circuit bypass" you would think the silly sods would have got it back to standard Whistle FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #307339 21st Sep 2016 1:30 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1