« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Towing Performance
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
BothyBob

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red
Towing Performance

Just back from first caravan trip with new 2012 Fl2 and more than satisfied with towing performance cecking fuel consumption it was 28.4mpg

Post #305986 4th Sep 2016 12:54 pm
Trev 1

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

Same here just back too, been off this weekend with brand new 2017 Elddis Affinity 550 and Freelander towed it no problems although it does seem a little bouncy on back end! been towing with a Disco 3 and I do say I think the Freelander does pull as good if not a little better. What does yours feel like? into 6th gear upto 60 cruse on and it never dropped speed on motorway and played with caravan, love it.
Trev.

Post #306014 4th Sep 2016 8:28 pm
BothyBob

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

I was towing a Bailey Senator Vermont 1400 Kg and once on the motorway a mile from home into sixth gear and at 58 mph set cruise control , it stayed on for over 50 miles, towed a dream

Post #306032 5th Sep 2016 7:55 am
Trev 1

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

No bouncing of rear of freelander? wondering if my rear shocks are goosed.

Post #306066 5th Sep 2016 2:15 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

i don't get bounce, i get a little sway towing 1800kg twin axle

so much so it can activate the towing assist DSC to bring it back in to line

Everyday towing is so much fun in this FL2.3, never happened in either FL2.1 or FL2.2, had them check it and no fault found

Average 22-24mpg, 4 up and a dog and normally fully loaded, as the wife never knows what clothes to take in case its sunny or rainy etc etc Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #306074 5th Sep 2016 3:50 pm
martslander

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 Sport Auto Santorini Black

Trev 1 wrote:
No bouncing of rear of freelander? wondering if my rear shocks are goosed.

I also get a bit of 'bounce' from my 2007 Swift Charisma 1500kg.
I just put it down to a heavy noseweight (min 100kg) and lack of shock absorbers on the van.
And some of the dodgy roads I travel on! Martyn

2010 Sport LE Auto

Post #306076 5th Sep 2016 4:06 pm
Carel Kriek

South Africa 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

After spending some time reading on Freel2.com and investigating the power characteristics of the Freelander 2 turbo diesel I decided to test drive a couple of SD4's and immediately developed an itch to buy one. Realizing that it has the same torque as my D3 V8 and delivering it even below 2000 r.p.m. and a healthy 140 kW I was convinced it would make a very good towing vehicle for the bush caravan. So the white SD4 SE 2013 MY arrived with the beloved V8 traded in. (The D3 was fantastic with no breakdowns or big repairs in 4 years of ownership plus the wonderful V8 sound!)
After a week of ownership and fitting a VHF radio we set out on a week long tour up the South African West Coast. All gravel with stretches of some real deep sand. There were a lot of well-meant skepticism from the other parties in the group as I had the stock standard Continental CrossContact tyres on the FL2. The value of reading as much as possible on this forum helped a lot as we approached the first steep climb and then the deep sand and I had her ready in terrain response, DSC off and in command shift mode. Tyre pressure at between 0.8 and 1.0 bar. The bush caravan hitched behind.
Great was the relief when we reached hard soil again with the FL2 performing like a Boss! Confidence boosted to elevated levels! The rest of the trip was one enormous pleasure with no problems at all, enjoying the deep down torque and pulling power the car gave us when required.

We went camping subsequently on a number of other occasions traveling on highways and what a pleasure to tow relaxed, at low r.p.m. and using virtually HALF the fuel compared to the big V8. The Freelander 2 in my opinion is a jewel that earns a lot of respect and is very underrated by the general public.

Fitting an OEM towbar, removing the rear fender and other body parts, I realised the high build quality of the vehicle. All this finally ended up in buying another Freelander 2! A SD4 HSE 2013 MY for myself and handing over the first FL2 to the wife who travels a lot and long distance in her work. Browny points galore!

Just thought I'd share on this forum as I am one very impressed man by the Freelander 2!

2013 SD4 SE (hers)
2013 SD4 HSE (mine)
Ex: 2008 D3 V8 HSE
EX: 2000 D2 TD5

Post #309264 18th Oct 2016 7:50 pm
adcooper

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HST Auto Ipanema Sand
Re: Towing Performance

BothyBob wrote:
Just back from first caravan trip with new 2012 Fl2 and more than satisfied with towing performance cecking fuel consumption it was 28.4mpg

Looking forwards to towing with ours and seeing how it is, is yours an auto or manual?

Post #311836 23rd Nov 2016 11:02 am
Delboy54

England 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Firenze Red

Hi all,new to this forum,I have a 2014 freelander 2 hse and tow a 2012 Bailey Unicorn Cabrera,the caravan seems to wobble if you go over 50mph,it is loaded correctly the noseweight is correct the tyre pressures are correct.I towed the caravan with my sons Volvo V70 and it was as stable as a rock at all speeds,have checked the tyre pressures on the car and they are 34 psi as recommended and are new tyres fitted 2 months ago, is there anything else I should check ?
Thanks

Post #330091 30th Aug 2017 6:01 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

[quote="npinks" Average 22-24mpg, 4 up and a dog and normally fully loaded, as the wife never knows what clothes to take in case its sunny or rainy etc etc[/quote]

Amazing how MPG goes up and cars quieter when you leave the wife at home. Whistle FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #330099 30th Aug 2017 7:26 pm
westville

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White

Delboy54 wrote:
Hi all,new to this forum,I have a 2014 freelander 2 hse and tow a 2012 Bailey Unicorn Cabrera,the caravan seems to wobble if you go over 50mph,it is loaded correctly the noseweight is correct the tyre pressures are correct.I towed the caravan with my sons Volvo V70 and it was as stable as a rock at all speeds,have checked the tyre pressures on the car and they are 34 psi as recommended and are new tyres fitted 2 months ago, is there anything else I should check ?
Thanks

Is your towbar correctly aligned? (and or your car's wheel alignment) - Something is throwing the rig out of alignment and causing "wobble" No Longer the owner of a 2013MY Fuji White GS

"Fiat Lux" a philosophy not a car

Post #330100 30th Aug 2017 7:44 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Impressed with mine too. Equally a match for my beloved Td5 and probably better except for the lighter weight to hustle the van with. Towing the van this morning to the dealer for a warranty repair I tried dropping it into sport mode on A roads. That gear change map really seems to suit towing perfectly. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #338764 6th Jan 2018 8:23 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1