Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Tips & Tricks > Hands Free Filling up on the forecourt
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
npinks

United Kingdom 

I was just diversifying the the thread by injecting another question on who uses a HGV pump Very Happy

when I fill up it pCensored me off when people hang around the entrance waiting for 1 of the 3 lanes of petrol/diesel pumps to become available Evil or Very Mad

I normally drive straight in, quick evaluation to which car is at the diesel pump without its driver, as they will be normally paying and would be back shortly, if all stood filling up i drive park up and wait behind the chosen pump.

After all It will be only the office i'm heading back to so why rush Very Happy

I will also only use a pump at the correct side of the car ( as indicated by the small arrow on the fuel gauge), so as not to run a greasy grit covered tube over the back of the FL2, causing scratches Evil or Very Mad Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #29579 20th Oct 2008 8:32 pm
Frobius

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Martinique Blue

I dont use those HGV pumps because I am told they pump at a musch fatser rate. Having already covered myself in diesel once trying to brim the tank, I dont want to do it again when it is more than likely guaranteed! 09MY FL2 Td4 XS, Style Pack, Privacy Glass, Martinique Blue.. oh so very blue..

Post #29588 20th Oct 2008 9:35 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Just go to the most expensive garage in the area = no queues Laughing

The one near me had a wanted murderer living in the woods at the back of the garage for a week and nobody noticed. He only got caught when he got thirsty and went into the garage for a bottle of water Shocked
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime...54467.html At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #29593 20th Oct 2008 10:11 pm
Rowy

Being an ex trucker, If i go in a petrol station and the HGV pump is Free and the station is quiet I'll make a bee line for it if I'm filling up, I usually get down to 10 miles range then fill her up, takes a fraction of the time plus you can put the lock on. no messing!

Rowy

Post #29594 20th Oct 2008 10:15 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

chicken george wrote:

The one near me had a wanted murderer living in the woods at the back of the garage for a week and nobody noticed. He only got caught when he got thirsty and went into the garage for a bottle of water Shocked
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime...54467.html

Mr Hobson was taken to Harrogate district hospital last night ­ suffering from an abdominal injury
....or maybe he just got hungry and nicked one of CG's C's Laughing

At least now the vaners hunt for GC's hideout has been narrowed down to a green barn close to a petrol station on A19 between York and Thirst Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #29608 21st Oct 2008 7:08 am
philsh

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Loire Blue

Had a nice experience the other night when I was filling up - not only was the pump the slowest in the UK, but it didn't cut out and p%"sed diesel down the side of my car. Big Cry I agree we should have pumps that lock on, but they need to improve the sensors firstly!! Gone - TD4 XS Auto, Sumatra Black, Mud flaps and side strips, clear indicators, private plate, privacy glass

Post #29620 21st Oct 2008 5:12 pm
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

Do you need to use the pump handsfree so that you can hold your mobile phone in one hand and a fag in the other?? Now - 2017 BMW X3 M Sport Carbon Black
Gone - 2014 BMW X3 M Sport Space Grey, faultless!
Gone - 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Bali Blue with xenons
Gone - 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Rimini Red with bodykit

Post #29623 21st Oct 2008 5:51 pm
rmbillington

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

I vowed never to use a HGV pump after a bad experience once, I thought it was someone trying to warn me.

I used to own a little 205 diesel, went to fill up on the way back to Uni. I didn't realise at the time that I'd driven upto the lorry pump, until I filled up twice as fast, and at the time thought, how cool, I'll use the lorry one more often.

I'd paid no probs, no one said anything. Just lent inside my car and there was a massive bang, scared the Censored out of me it was that loud. turned around, to find a very large, about 3ft x 3ft, metal BP sign laying on the floor behind my car, which used to be attached about 20ft in the air above the pump (It was a very windy day). Had I have been a minute slower getting into the car and it could have easily hit me.

It had hit the back edge of the roof and boot, and missed the back window, so left only a tiny little dent, nothing to show for the noise it made. being very british I never sued, and this was about 8 years ago, before people sued for things like that.

Funniest thing was the Chinese whispers that happened with the staff, and the manager of the services came running to the petrol station, having heard that someone had been killed after being hit with a sign.

After that lucky excape, I presumed that I shouldn't use HGV pumps anymore, and to be fair, the car pumps only ever have low signs, as they have roofs above them, lots of HGV pumps don't have roofs, and have high signs.

Rich

Post #29625 21st Oct 2008 6:02 pm
jimmy

Denmark 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

chicken george wrote:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime...54467.html

......if he'd put a grizzly-bear costume on, he probably would have gotten away with it........ Thumbs Up Rolling with laughter

Post #29642 21st Oct 2008 10:23 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

If you take a look at the sort of incidents that happen on forecourts in the USA you'll understand why we don't have the locking pins installed. Give folks an inch and they WILL take a mile, its human nature. Once you introduce locking pumps people will get up to all sorts of stunts which are dangerous (usually around leaving the pump unattended). Yes the auto shut off works but all too often the nozzle falls out of the car (and the auto shut off doesn't work) The static electricity build up is a problem, caused by peoples clothes, (much more than the use of mobile phones in fact where the problem is that folks are just distracted from what they're doing). Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!
Company cars ... a thing of the past - May 2013.

Post #29676 22nd Oct 2008 6:36 pm
pjelsworth

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Alaska White

npinks wrote:
I was just diversifying the the thread by injecting another question on who uses a HGV pump Very Happy

when I fill up it pCensored me off when people hang around the entrance waiting for 1 of the 3 lanes of petrol/diesel pumps to become available Evil or Very Mad

I normally drive straight in, quick evaluation to which car is at the diesel pump without its driver, as they will be normally paying and would be back shortly, if all stood filling up i drive park up and wait behind the chosen pump.

After all It will be only the office i'm heading back to so why rush Very Happy

I will also only use a pump at the correct side of the car ( as indicated by the small arrow on the fuel gauge), so as not to run a greasy grit covered tube over the back of the FL2, causing scratches Evil or Very Mad

While I was in Portugal this summer they had a great process at filling stations where they had a "parking space" just in from of the pump so that after you filled up you move your car into this space while you go and pay. It worked really well to get things moving quicker

Post #29747 23rd Oct 2008 2:22 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

i have done similar in the UK, but the cashier thought i was driving off Rolling Eyes

The look on the young lads face was Rolling with laughter Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #29751 23rd Oct 2008 3:07 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

France is even better. You fill up, then drive off the forecourt and pay at a kiosk on the way out. Much better than here in the UK where you could b queing for ages Rolling Eyes ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #29752 23rd Oct 2008 3:08 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

they have that system at my local ASDA, not that i shop there Embarassed Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #29754 23rd Oct 2008 3:25 pm
nicam

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

I find a small allen key is just right for slipping into the pump handle so that you can use the catch. It really winds people up in the queue behind you as well, as you stand there with hands in pockets keeping warm and they think that you`re not putting any fuel in. Don`t drive faster than your angel can fly!

Post #29759 23rd Oct 2008 3:55 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>