Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Huge disappointment with car and dealer!!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Jarred off

United Kingdom 
Huge disappointment with car and dealer!!!

Well what a huge disappointment after our first Freelander 2. Our first was written off in an accident and we bought another 2013 model. Straight away noticed a noise from the rear and was advised by dealer to contact LR assist, he said it was a bearing or diff. Went in for repair and following day I could still hear a noise [which is really ironic because the LR tech said he couldn't and I am partially deaf!!]. So I called LR assist again and same guy came out and said yup same as before....
Went back in and we cancelled the appointment for a towbar fit [at another garage] and touring holiday. Much thrashing about about who was to blame but the Service manager said it was the rear tyres [tyres I had argued should have been replaced when we bought it, but what do I know]. He said he had personally tested it and it was fine. They also promised to fit the tow bar, [came off our original car] at the same time. They forgot to do it!! So back in it went...
Car came out quiet and with a tow bar, yay!! Towed with it today [horsebox and horse....]and an amber warning light came up with gearbox fault, reduced traction.
We bought this 22/7/2016 and at one point asked to p ex it for a Discovery, realising it would cost a great deal more and providing we would get back what we paid for it, , but they were not at all happy to do this. Much nashing of teeth and 'ooo that will incur costs' and ooo I don't think we can do that'...At the time we had had the car for a week and it had done 100 miles, they had to fix the rear noise anyway and clean it, what were the costs i asked. I won't bore you with the 'answers' suffice to say i didn't really get one. Or the promised phone call back to 'sort things out' or the following day. Indeed until I emailed the MD nothing happened at all! Beyond belief at every level, the only one with any credit is the original salesman who has been very professional and lucky to be on holiday when it all fell apart.
Cancel holiday for second time and will now ask them to take car back for full refund.... :blue:
Would you return it for refund?

Post #304949 21st Aug 2016 3:24 pm
taztastic

England 

From the used car warranty, you need to act quickly if your not happy.

30 day / 1000 mile Conditional Vehicle Exchange Agreement

You can be confident that all Approved cars meet the strictest quality standards. In the unlikely event that yours has a demonstrable fault that cannot be resolved to your satisfaction, within the first 30 days and the car has covered no more than 1,000 miles from the date of purchase, it will be replaced with one of a similar specification or a refund will be offered. Further information on the Conditional Exchange Agreement can be found in the later section.

Post #304950 21st Aug 2016 3:33 pm
le bouch

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

On balance, yes I would.

I had an equally terrible experience with mine except the dealer (in Carlisle) point blank refused to refund me, offering me the choice of three replacements instead. The law has changed since then and they are legally obliged to refund you within 30 days now, I believe.

LR customer service were on that occasion totally useless although to be fair they have helped me since with issues.

The salesman in my case was also excellent - everyone above him was a Censored

Last edited by le bouch on 21st Aug 2016 3:42 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #304951 21st Aug 2016 3:35 pm
le bouch

taztastic wrote:
From the used car warranty, you need to act quickly if your not happy.

30 day / 1000 mile Conditional Vehicle Exchange Agreement

You can be confident that all Approved cars meet the strictest quality standards. In the unlikely event that yours has a demonstrable fault that cannot be resolved to your satisfaction, within the first 30 days and the car has covered no more than 1,000 miles from the date of purchase, it will be replaced with one of a similar specification or a refund will be offered. Further information on the Conditional Exchange Agreement can be found in the later section.

There's way too much wiggle room for the dealer in that 'agreement', and LR will not enforce it in any event. Ask me how I know..

Firstly, the dealer decides what a 'demonstrable fault' is - also they choose whether it's refund or replacement.

Last edited by le bouch on 21st Aug 2016 3:42 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #304952 21st Aug 2016 3:38 pm
le bouch

Change of law in 2015, from Which website:

"Rejecting a second-hand car

If there's a problem with a second-hand car soon after you've bought it - for example, the car develops a problem you wouldn't expect for the car's age and mileage, or it turns out not to be what you’d been led to expect - you may have the right to reject it and get your money back.

If you bought the car after 01 October 2015, you only have 30 days to reject a second-hand car and get a full refund under the Consumer Rights Act.

If you bought the car before 01 October 2015, then you must reject the car within a reasonable time under the Sale of Goods Act.

While there's no clear definition of what a reasonable time is, it probably needs to be within three to four weeks – less if it's an obvious problem.

And if you reject a second-hand car you must stop using it immediately."

Post #304953 21st Aug 2016 3:40 pm
Jarred off

United Kingdom 

Meant to say that the car had a rear wheel bearing replaced on first time in, new tyres second time. And 30 days were up yesterday technically...

Post #304954 21st Aug 2016 3:47 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

as long as the dealer is prepared to sort the problems then you really have nothing to complain about.

it is a three year old vehicle after all.

Iain

Post #304959 21st Aug 2016 6:34 pm
le bouch

Don't agree, Iain.

Firstly, the car shouldn't have those faults - three years old or not, because supposedly "There is a stringent checklist of 165 inspection processes in place that ensures your vehicle is in optimum electrical and mechanical condition" before its sold. How could they NOT spot a dodgy wheel bearing in amongst their 165 checks?

I really believe that all the dealers do is basic PDI and tart-up. Why (pay to) fix faults that a customer may not even notice?

Secondly, he's legally entitled to a refund (albeit arguably, given the 30 day clause).

Post #304962 21st Aug 2016 6:58 pm
Jarred off

United Kingdom 

OH I disagree....! A much vaunted pre inspection that allows them to give a 24 month warranty, 4 trips back into dealers within a month. Not fixing an obvious problem first time. Not apologising for considerable inconvenience. Two cancelled trips, including a touring holiday. Not answering emails, not returning calls.
Maybe I have a low threshold to poor service

Post #304963 21st Aug 2016 7:00 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

yes the customer service sounds poor, but unfortunately seems to be par for the course these days.

and I would also agree that in general the sales staff are good at their job, but they are not interested in the vehicle (or you for that matter), just the deal, and the commission.

Iain

Post #304966 21st Aug 2016 7:19 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Helpful idea ignored, so removed! Razz Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Tigger on 24th Aug 2016 8:25 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #304968 21st Aug 2016 7:44 pm
Milothedog

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green

iain cooper wrote:
as long as the dealer is prepared to sort the problems then you really have nothing to complain about.

Quote:
it is a three year old vehicle after all.

Iain

Sold under a scheme that states it's expected to perform as the manufacture intended for at least 2 years. hence you pay the premium price for the peace of mind so should expect to get what you pay for. 2007 TD4 XS The work horse that earns its up keep
2013 SD4 HSE The posh one for towing the caravan
1973 Triumph Stag I bought in 2009 and restored.

Post #304970 21st Aug 2016 8:20 pm
Jarred off

United Kingdom 

Well emailed this morning first thing, all quiet so far...

Post #305007 22nd Aug 2016 9:43 am
Milothedog

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green

I have sent you a PM. 2007 TD4 XS The work horse that earns its up keep
2013 SD4 HSE The posh one for towing the caravan
1973 Triumph Stag I bought in 2009 and restored.

Post #305011 22nd Aug 2016 11:43 am
snappa

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Buckingham Blue

There is a LR customer service person on here although they stopped replying to me when I had a problem so good luck Thumbs Up

Post #305155 24th Aug 2016 9:16 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>