Home > General > The Great car insurance rip off is alive and well
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
FL2Voodoo

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
The Great car insurance rip off is alive and well

Hi Guys

Not posted for a while but hope were all well and enjoying the sun. well for me its that time of the year and the car insurance is due not something i wanted to sort out while being of work on the sick with Kidney stones and a kidney infection but thats another story.

Any way My current insurer LLoyds bank sent me a reminder and renewal price of £721 fully comp I am now age 50 and even when I was younger and driving things like an Alfa 156GTA 3.2 I was never paying more than £500, so they had a quick cancelation phone call.

I then did the usual compare websites were the Co Op came up with £383 all in with legal protection and key cover and all the usual replacement car etc, but out of curriosity I rang our site Sponsor A-Plan and even they were struggling to get it lower than £450, Adrian Flux couldnt get it below £500, so I have taken the chance that there all as bad as each other and will try and get out out of any claims and gone with the Co-op for £383.

My lad is 21 Driving a 13 plate Fiester ST2 and only pays £1000 all in fully comp so are these insurance companies just plain Stupid and think people will pay there over inflated prices. HSE TD4 Stornoway Grey ★ Rear Spoiler ★ Black Leather Interior ★ Panoramic Roof ★ Navigation with Bluetooth ★ 19 " Alloys ★ Alpine Stereo 10 Disc Auto changer and Ipod connection and lots of other nice toys ★

Post #305168 24th Aug 2016 10:57 am
Mikey

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

What option do we have? Rolling Eyes

Not that it's any consolation to you, but stories like these make me glad I have a trade policy. I couldn't face paying £4-500 per car on 5 cars Big Cry

Post #305173 24th Aug 2016 11:50 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
npinks

United Kingdom 

Landrover just came back to me with £650, (£680 when i did a new quote on the website) and after a quick call they came down to £625, compared to £400 with some meerkat sourced ones.

Land Rover have said they could do £450 (plus legal and car) if i removed my dad from the policy, but having him on works out cheaper than the additional costs added up when we borrow each others car

I Stayed with LR, i like the off road cover they provide, which covers me for off roading, in fields and greenlanes, and the fact they use OEM parts and trained technicians to fix it, though i have not needed to use them Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #305177 24th Aug 2016 12:17 pm
EYorkshire

Landrover Insurance (underwritten by 'Allianz' now) beats them every time for me, £325.04 with my wife added and NC protection including in that price is one SP30 speeding ticket declaration. Also includes for free Europe mainland touring which we do annually with the caravan.
Not sure why there is such a wide discrepency amongst insurers and drivers of similar circumstances Confused

Far from the dearest and not the cheapest probably, but backed by a solid company.

Post #305179 24th Aug 2016 12:51 pm
Neil Hampson

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Fuji White

Before I broughy the LR last September, I had been with Swift cover for over 8 years, each time the renewal being very close to the best comparison price, however this time the price was in excess of £700, a quick comparison later and I'm now insured with the same underwriter for £366, with the same options.
The annoying part was when I phoned to ask about the Swift premium they were instantly able to find be a £470 quote, knocking off £200 in less time that it would have taken to enter the details into the computer, What really annoyed me was if £470 was the best they could do, why did they try to charge me over £700, just hoping I'd press the renew button and forget about it for another year.
Ironically if they had given me the £470 renewal in the first place I might have not bothered to shop around. Neil Hampson
4x4 Newbie

Post #305180 24th Aug 2016 1:13 pm
Milothedog

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green

Having bought our 2013 HSE this month my Wife decided she wanted to have the insurance in her name. She has no NCB and the quotes we had ranged from £360 to £2400 Rolling with laughter We decided to go with Admiral at £480 for a good package.

Land Rover wanted £1860 Rolling with laughter

I also have a 43 year classic car which is insured on classic policy, it's worth about £18000, insured to be left in the street out side my house. but when I told them I will be keeping it in a rented Garage about 400yrds down the road they put the premium up by £20. how does that work Shocked

Ian 2007 TD4 XS The work horse that earns its up keep
2013 SD4 HSE The posh one for towing the caravan
1973 Triumph Stag I bought in 2009 and restored.

Post #305182 24th Aug 2016 2:21 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Does this post need amalgamating/linking. Idea

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic1016-135.html FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #305218 24th Aug 2016 8:53 pm
Purplemadboy

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Firenze Red

I use Churchill £196 , includes 90days over seas and legal and that's with the wife as second driver . Just tried the PO £279 Do it now ! Your a long time dead !!

Last edited by Purplemadboy on 25th Aug 2016 8:10 am. Edited 2 times in total

Post #305221 24th Aug 2016 10:01 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

I can echo two of the above posts. Swiftcover were fine for me for a few years, but suddenly doubled their price - I assume they have decided they don't like Freelanders. I also went with the Co-op: not quite the cheapest but seemed to offer the best cover, including driving abroad, which Swift charged extra for. I think they must be touting for business at the moment. I thought I'd get points on my Co-op card too, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
Interestingly, shortly after renewing with Co-op I got a letter saying my information didn't match the insurance industry records and wanting copies of my driving licence and a utility bill or they would cancel the policy. Presumably Swiftcover had not managed to update my address from London to East Anglia, even though they had changed the premium when I moved. So much for the industry's smart computer system! Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
300TDi Disco (bought new - terrible car) sent back after 18 months
Freelander 1 Estate - leased, given back at end of lease
200TDi Disco (bought from a mate with 100,000 on the clock) - Gone
Disco 2 TD5 - sold and exported to France
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone
FR2 SD4 HSE - Now changed for a DS
New model ex-demo Evoque S 180 in white
Unable to order a new DS, so gave up. Now have a Volvo S90 Recharge.

Post #305228 24th Aug 2016 11:06 pm
Metropolis

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Loire Blue

Insurance Underwriting is all about managing risk and the company has to be sure that they don't have a large exposure to any particular risk. That risk can be almost anything. It would be a neighbour that's had an accident, a spate of claims in a particular post code, simply too many cars of one particular type on the books or you don't fit the profile of the sort of driver they want to insure. It can all add up to what appears to be bonkers pricing but actually makes a lot of sense when you see "inside" the logic. That's why loyalty never pays with Insurance. Your existing insurer may be the cheapest but it's not because you're being rewarded for loyalty; it's just that you're not pushing their risk profile over the limit. So shop around.

Post #305241 25th Aug 2016 5:41 am
mcsimmo

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Mauritius Blue

Over 50?

You'll be hard pressed to beat this deal that I'm going for. (other deals are variable in a variety of colours...)

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/car-insurance/...lsrc=aw.ds Updated- Waiting for a Scotland v England 6 Nations home win. 24th Feb 2018
Gone-1972 88 SWB Soft top
Gone-1981 24v FFR Lightweight
Gone-2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS manual
Gone before it bankrupted me- 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto

Post #305246 25th Aug 2016 7:42 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

OK they make a £50 move offer so may look in the future as I have only just insured again with LV but that's means at renewal with the PO I would still be on the find a quote roundabout again as the PO premium is more than my present LV cover. Its a Censored nightmare Exclamation FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #305249 25th Aug 2016 8:16 am
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

This year Carol Nash insurance told me my bike renewal was £400+, that's with 15 years no claims ! They could not better it ! That is up to the point I told them not to renew because I had received a quotation for £180. Long story short, they renewed an all singing all dancing policy for £230.

Also for the first time in 30 years, I have had to insure a car of my own. For the same vehicle ( Subaru , in my signature ) I received quotes of £570 at the top end all the way down to £240 . I had a letter from my employer that there were no " fault " claims on record regarding me with the company insurers, and I have dropped commutting as I don't intend to work again so occupation is "retired" Mr. Green The Subaru is only classed as a group 18 with the insurer I'm using due to the "Eyesight " safety camera systems. Thumbs Up 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Last edited by MartynB on 25th Aug 2016 11:24 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #305259 25th Aug 2016 9:13 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Mikey wrote:
What option do we have? Rolling Eyes

If you have enough vehicles it works out cheaper to just do a 3rd party and pay for your own repairs. Effectively you do your own insurance. When I worked for a multinational with a few thousand company cars I just had a card saying that I had insurance but with a £7.5k excess. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #305260 25th Aug 2016 9:19 am
Milothedog

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green

I worked for a London Bus company (Go-Ahead) the company excess was £250,000 Shocked Our drivers were given cards to give to 3rd parties telling them to contact our own in house legal/claims department before speaking to our insures.

ian. 2007 TD4 XS The work horse that earns its up keep
2013 SD4 HSE The posh one for towing the caravan
1973 Triumph Stag I bought in 2009 and restored.

Post #305264 25th Aug 2016 9:38 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>