Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > The Great car insurance rip off is alive and well
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
FL2Voodoo

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

One of the other mad things about Car insurance is that last year I got Dovorced and moved house about 8 miles from were I was, still a nice respected area with out the snobbery of were I used to live .

when I did my insurance last year I took my Ex of the insurance and when i but my self down as Marital status Divorced the price went nuts whats that al about I know it varries with post code but saying your divorced it makes you a liability .................. This year I put put my 70yr old Mum on it whos never going to drive the car and it dropped quite a bit .I really dont understand there thinking and criteria at times . HSE TD4 Stornoway Grey ★ Rear Spoiler ★ Black Leather Interior ★ Panoramic Roof ★ Navigation with Bluetooth ★ 19 " Alloys ★ Alpine Stereo 10 Disc Auto changer and Ipod connection and lots of other nice toys ★

Post #305265 25th Aug 2016 8:50 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

Your insurers Underwriters read the Daily Mail## Whistle

"Divorced man found revenge by ramming his car in to ex-wifes new fella's skoda"

A spokes man for the insurance company said " I am glad we loaded this psycho's premium before he did this"

The new fella Fabio said " I clean her pool, i'll service her at the same time... Life is good Eh!" Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #305267 25th Aug 2016 9:03 am
FL2Voodoo

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Lol

Ours was amicable its what we both wanted and were still friends, but yeah I see your point I guess some get a raw deal and do stupid things.

Still I dont thing single married divorced widowed or any other thing they have down should really make a differance. Now if it had REP with a BMW or Audi well thats another story. HSE TD4 Stornoway Grey ★ Rear Spoiler ★ Black Leather Interior ★ Panoramic Roof ★ Navigation with Bluetooth ★ 19 " Alloys ★ Alpine Stereo 10 Disc Auto changer and Ipod connection and lots of other nice toys ★

Post #305286 25th Aug 2016 11:12 am
Past master

United Kingdom 

I am retired but do a bit of part time educational work. For a couple of years business insurance as an educational professional was cheaper than leisure only as retired. I suppose they expect you to spend time driving around the country while going slowly gaga and hitting things. The premiums have reversed now. There are no real rules - just do as much research as possible.
That said, I bought a Freelander not a Duster - the cheapest car is not the best and the same may be true for insurance! Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
300TDi Disco (bought new - terrible car) sent back after 18 months
Freelander 1 Estate - leased, given back at end of lease
200TDi Disco (bought from a mate with 100,000 on the clock) - Gone
Disco 2 TD5 - sold and exported to France
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone
FR2 SD4 HSE - Now changed for a DS
New model ex-demo Evoque S 180 in white
Unable to order a new DS, so gave up. Now have a Volvo S90 Recharge.

Post #305307 25th Aug 2016 2:37 pm
Bobbyg

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Indus Silver

Hi I am looking for nsurance foe my freelander 2 ,this would be a second car with a low annual mileage .i had second cars before but if you leave a gap you loose the no claims .whats the best ,cheapest way to insure any suggestions.

Post #312954 10th Dec 2016 8:07 am
Jimboland

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

You really have to shop around to see who gives the best deal. The cheapest is not always the best as the only real test of an insurance company is whether they pay out or not and how willing they are to pay out without a fight. I use LV as it suits me and my circumstances, not the cheapest but far from the most expensive.

J

Post #312961 10th Dec 2016 10:20 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Down under if your car happens to be a colour other than white you pay a slightly higher premium. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #312969 10th Dec 2016 11:15 am
Tigger

United Kingdom 

I've never heard that one before! What reason / excuse do they offer for that one?

Post #312975 10th Dec 2016 11:45 am
Lightwater

White cars have slightly less accidents. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #312986 10th Dec 2016 6:43 pm
RealBeale

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

When I was about to renew my insurance for my heavily modified F1, there was a modified vehicle competition in LRO magazine, being sponsored by Sureterm Direct. They boasted that they would beat any quote for a modified Land Rover. So I thought I'd take them up on the challenge. My fully Comp my insurance is around £350 but at renewal had increased by around £45. However Sureteam Direct were having trouble finding me a quote. In the end they admitted defeat and conceded that not only could they not quote me cheaper, they couldn't quote me at all !! They then went away and tried someone else as a last resort. When they got back to me they quoted £700. I asked how come this was so high . The answer ? "Nobody has any experience of quoting for a modified Freelander, hence why nobody could quote you, but these guys are willing to insure you for £700". My question to Sureterm Direct was how this other firm came to the figure of £700 with no experience of quoting for my vehicle. "Yes, it's that price BECAUSE they've never insured one before, so they've got nothing to base the quote on" came the reply.
"So basically", I said, "they're just pulling a figure out of their ar5e".
"Yes", came the swift reply. Followed by "Would you like to go with that ?"
"Er, no !" came my equally swift reply.

Post #312987 10th Dec 2016 6:53 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Lightwater wrote:
White cars have slightly less accidents.

One is reminded of the story that Paddy heard that it was safer to wear something white at night. However when he was working in Antarctica he got run over by a snowcat. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #312989 10th Dec 2016 7:25 pm
Lightwater

Maybe we could get a discount if we drive around with a safety flag. But it will take a few years to amortise the cost of the flag.

Click image to enlarge
 Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #312995 11th Dec 2016 3:01 am
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

Annual merry go round with insurance - got it down to £241 with Marks and Spencer who initially wanted £275 to renew. Could have gone with a couple of others for a little less but more or less happy with that. Comp with most of the trimmings excluding legal cover and £250 excess.

To put it into perspective it represents approx 3 tankful of diesel Sad MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #317423 13th Feb 2017 3:38 pm
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Ive just had my renewal through from LV..... £456 fully comp including business use, windscreen, legal and ''guaranteed courtesy car''

an increase of around £40 on last years quote. Big Cry

Post #317459 14th Feb 2017 7:29 am
Dartman the one

England 

Out here you are loaded the moment you hit 70 years old, many companies won't even insure you fully comp assuming they will insure you at all, at present we're just below €700 with my loading being €170 on a €20K value, it may seem a high value, but that is what it is valued at duty paid, a 2011 SE went for €22k last November and the Satnav won't work due to no maps. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #317460 14th Feb 2017 8:50 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>