« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > In Car Electronics > Apple car play
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Simonm8

England 
Apple car play

Looking to upgrade the stereo on my 08 gs. As anyone fitted a car play stereo? And what leads are needed so I can retain stereo wheel controls and rear Parking sensors? Is it a easy job or the wire ms needed cutting

Last edited by Simonm8 on 21st Aug 2016 7:11 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #304916 20th Aug 2016 4:20 pm
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

"Peking sensors" Rolling with laughter Sorry, but some typos deserve a repeat - ah so! 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #304941 21st Aug 2016 10:19 am
Simonm8

England 

Corrected. Should read what I Typed really lol

Post #304964 21st Aug 2016 7:12 pm
le bouch

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

I've thought about it but total outlay including the (cheapest) head unit would be about £500. Can only be done on the base or midline systems, ie. not the ones with built in screens.

You need the metal cage, lead for steering controls, lead to keep the parking sensors working and audio loom adaptor. It all adds up. There's a thread on here some where about it if you search.

Also I'm not sure if the rear woofer would still work..

Post #304965 21st Aug 2016 7:18 pm
dan.bell

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Barolo Black

Thought I would pick this thread up as I am looking to do the same. My wife has just bought a 2007 FreeLander 2 HSE TD4 on a 57 plate. I have five things I'm considering for this car, four of which I will pick up in this thread. One is which CarPlay head unit is preferred and Two, what was your install like. Third, how did you handle mounting for the phone. Finally, I was looking to fit a reversing camera some my wife does use the old school parking sensors. You know beep, beep, beep, beeeeep, beeeeeep, CRUNCH. I'm looking for opinions and advice from your experiences.

Firstly, I have a Pioneer SPH-DA120 in my car so I understand CarPlay and its pros and cons. Really what I'm looking for is should I go for the same Pioneer or the Alpine iLX 700. The Alpine has a nicer, larger screen and I do like the fact that the current audio system uses Alpine. If anyone has experience with both would be fantastic, but any experiences would be great to hear.

Secondly, How was the install? Did you have any problems? Do your parking sensors or as it seems this group prefers Peking sensors Smile work? What fascia did you use? Do you have any pics? The best link I've found so far is this one. http://www.jamessimpson.co.uk/land-rover-f...o-removal/ which seems pretty good. He mentions a Bojo tool to pry up some of the dash items. Any other ideas on this from the group? I am more concerned with it looking good and ensuring no damage to the interior and would happily pay a bit more for the right tool. Are you able to use all the steering wheel controls?

How did you handle the USB port? Did you just pop the cable out and just put your phone in a centre console or did you get a mount to slip the phone in. My wife currently has an iPhone 6, but as we all know, phones evolve. I don't see her changing from an iPhone os leaving lightning is fine, but I would prefer a mount that would likely allow different sizes. Possibly even to the 6/7 Plus size, but that isn't likely. Any pics of your install and advice routing the cables?

I was also looking at fitting a reversing camera. Any suggestions here on which ones? I was thinking the license plate frame type. How was the cable routing? This bit really concerns me. Getting to route the cabling on a moving tailgate. Has anyone done any videos on the install procedure or series of photos? Do you feel this upgrade was worthwhile?

Thanks so much to the group. I look forward to seeing your responses.

Post #307396 22nd Sep 2016 8:52 am
dan.bell

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Barolo Black

Also meant to ask about the fitting kit for the head unit. I had looked at this http://bit.ly/2dj44HS which looked good value and complete. Thoughts? Also, this company asked me to check if my stereo used a fibre optic connection or not. Is there a way I can check this without actually taking out the current stereo? Thanks.

Post #307397 22nd Sep 2016 9:02 am
le bouch

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

I don't think you can do it on an HSE. It uses a digital connection (MOST?) between head unit, amp and speakers. I think you'd have to replace the whole system, not just the head unit. My understanding is that replacing the head unit on any FL2 with a satnav screen is a nightmare. Sorry I can't give you links to the relevant threads confirming this but if you search long enough you'll find them Thumbs Up

Post #307398 22nd Sep 2016 9:08 am
Steve D

United Kingdom 

dunkley201 wrote:
"Peeking sensors" !

Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #307434 22nd Sep 2016 2:19 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1