« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Price of Tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
another one

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
Price of Tyres

Finally had to get some new rubber for the front wheels, first went to our local branch of National Tyres where our company has an account and prices are usually very keen. First quoted price for two 235 x 60 x 18 goodyears was £465 fully fitted etc. After some discussion this came down to £400. Phoned my dealer and was quoted £300 for two fully fitted and balanced including vat and everything.

Just goes to show it pays to shop around.

Post #27795 20th Sep 2008 9:54 am
Carnoch

Why don't you keep an eye out on Ebay. People are selling new HSE wheels and tyres. Obviously replaced them with Shadows. Anyway, the general price seems to be £400-£500 for 4.

Post #27796 20th Sep 2008 10:16 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Do not bid on Ebay 18" wheels Evil or Very Mad ....atleast until I have grabbed some anyways Laughing At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #27799 20th Sep 2008 12:47 pm
snappa

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Buckingham Blue

I have found that site 'black circles' pretty good.
You order your tyres online then pay fully fitted and go to the nearest fitter to you, the tyres get delivered there, bobs your uncle.

As long as you have heard decent reports about the fitters it's ok and they usually work out cheaper.

Thumbs Up

Post #27811 20th Sep 2008 8:18 pm
arcturus

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Izmir Blue

I paid £276 for a pair of 235/65/17 Goodyear Wranglers for my FL2 last week if that helps.

Post #27816 20th Sep 2008 10:32 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey
out of interest ....

If only two tyres are being replaced the tyre industry advice is that the best rubber should be on the rear.

In times gone by I would always have fitted the new rubber on the front myself, but it seems the industry advice is based on road tests of cars with tyres at different stages of wear and the car will become more unstable more quickly if the rear tyres let go. So if only two of the four tyres are being replaced you are better off if they go on the rear.

When I first heard this advice ( about six or seven years ago) I strongly disagreed with it, but having seen the road tests the evidence proves the advice is correct.

My motor has now covered over 43,000 miles on the original rubber and the tyre wear is remarkably even front to rear so when it comes time to replace I'll be changing all four ! Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!
Company cars ... a thing of the past - May 2013.

Post #27820 21st Sep 2008 2:10 am
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

Avtur I don't understand the reasoning for changing the rears only on a 4wd system which is biased in normal conditions where 95% of the drive goes to the front wheels then surely you want the "driving" wheels to have the best grip? I can understand changing the rear wheels on a RWD car. How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?
Now driving - RRE Coupe Dynamic Lux Auto with Plus pack, Fuji White, Ebony, SD4 with tow pack
Gone - 2010MY FFRR TDv8 Stornoway and Ivory, Privacy - the pace of a TDv8 RRS, the incomparable grace of a Range Rover
Gone but will be missed- RRS Tdv8 HSE Stornoway Grey with Ebony Leather
Gone (only a little missed) RRS Tdv6 2.7SE Giverny Green/Aspen
Defender 90 County HT in Epsom Green

Post #27824 21st Sep 2008 9:01 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

I had a new set of front one at about 15k and the back ones look to be coming to an end at about 28k
Costco will only change 4 at a time unless you can select 2 wheel drive manually. And they only sell mitchelin's Sad Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #27825 21st Sep 2008 9:02 am
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

NP, have you tried the site sponsors over on the RRS forums? How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?
Now driving - RRE Coupe Dynamic Lux Auto with Plus pack, Fuji White, Ebony, SD4 with tow pack
Gone - 2010MY FFRR TDv8 Stornoway and Ivory, Privacy - the pace of a TDv8 RRS, the incomparable grace of a Range Rover

Post #27826 21st Sep 2008 9:05 am
ttc546

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

£125 each from Bracknell Tyres fully fitted, balanced etc. I know coz I got a puncture the other week and had to have one replaced for the front. Goodyear Wranglers. Chris

Post #27831 21st Sep 2008 10:24 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

Tim in Scotland wrote:
NP, have you tried the site sponsors over on the RRS forums?

Not yet, but they'll get a call to see if they can match the local guy when i have his price:D Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #27840 21st Sep 2008 4:46 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

there was a huge argument thread on an Audi forum about whether to fit the newest tyres on the front or the rear..outcome the rear. Common sense would suggest the front but apparently the boffins say the rear.saying that I would probably ignore the boffins and do the fronts Thumbs Up

Side note.. a Citroen van stopped yesterday at the end of my farm lane with a puncture, blocking the exit. As my combine harvester was due home any minute I hurriedly changed the tyre for the driver to clear the road again. On reaching around the wheel to remove it, my fingers got spiked on all the wire plies hanging out of the back of the tyre. It wasn't a 'puncture' the tyres had worn through Shocked . At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #27852 21st Sep 2008 7:20 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Michelin Guide to were to fit tyres

Quote:
Whether you have front or rear wheel drive, we recommend that you use newer tyres for the rear set, for extra safety in unforeseen or difficult situations (emergency braking, tight bends etc) particularly on wet surfaces.

Numerous tests have shown that it is easier to control the front wheels than those at the rear.

Front tyres generally wear quicker than those fitted at the rear, particularly on front wheel drive cars, which are currently in the majority.

New tyres fitted in front :

- The behavior of the car will change, because the front / rear balance will be reversed.
The driver, used to a car with less grip at the front, will therefore be taken unawares.
- On a slippery road, the rear will lose traction before the front of the vehicle.
The driver will have no chance of controlling the rear, and will be tempted to accelerate further, which will amplify the spin effect. Only an experienced driver will be able to recover from this dangerous situation...

New tyres fitted at the back :

- The handling of the vehicle will be similar to that known by the driver before the tyre change, because the traction balance will be the same.
- Rear traction will be better, and the driver will be able to control and steer their vehicle without a problem by decelerating and turning the steering wheel in the direction of the bend.

That's why Michelin advises you to reduce the risks you take by fitting new or less worn tyres at the rear of the vehicle for:

- better grip on bends
- extra safety.
 Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #27853 21st Sep 2008 7:32 pm
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thanks for that useful explanation NP

I have a friend who has run various Volvo's with 4WD and recently he had a puncture on his 3 month old XC70............ called out Volvo Assistance who told him he would be looking at 4 new tyres Shocked Shocked

Yes it turns out that with the 4wd system on the XC Volvos you will cause damage to the 4WD system if you don't replace all 4 tyres at the same time, even after less than 6k miles - it will void the warranty on the drive train and transmission apparently if you don't! Think yourself lucky that LR and Volvo don't use the same design of 4WD systems!
Now the Ford Kuga and the new XC 60 both share the same 4WD system, I wonder how many loyal Ford owners will be told that when they take delivery of their shiney new Kugas How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?

Post #27861 21st Sep 2008 7:50 pm
rmbillington

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

I guess a Volvo would be a good car to have tyre insurance for then. At least if you had a puncture, you wouldn't get stung for 4 new tyres

Rich

Post #27866 21st Sep 2008 8:20 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>