« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Driving habits
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
heyho

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver
Driving habits

Is it me but has this nation almost overnight (well at least in the north of England) turned into a set of aggressive, inpatient drivers.

I'm no slow coach myself but my route to work involves a stretch of dual carriageway that has a 2+ lane. On part of it the speed limit is 50 and others 40. So I normally trundle down the 50mph bit at nearly 60 and the 40 at 50 in the outside lane if I am on my own. But I constantly get drivers less than a cars length behind me and then undertaking and gesticulating. What is it all about. Best laugh is a mile or two up the road you catch up to them at traffic lights.

Saying that a couple of weeks ago I got in a taxi from JFK airport to New York. Wow!!! Better than the big dipper ride at Blackpool. What an experience that was. Weaving in and out of 4 lanes at some considerable speed. I was looking to see how many cars (or should that be SUV's) had body work damage. Most have extra bumpers or even carpet they drape over to reduce damage. What I noticed in towns was when people park it is the norm to nudge the stationary car. probably why there are so many bull bars etc.

Post #303833 4th Aug 2016 7:26 am
pjbnet

2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Orkney Grey

Im trying to resist the urge to rant about how, when I learnt to drive, was taught to drive defensively rather than agressively.

My biggest issue with other drivers ( mostly of BMWs and Audis ) at roundabouts, is that we were taught to give way to traffic already on them, but it seems now, you can use either lane to take any exit and the trick is to speed up to the junction to keep momentum and cut other cars up when you feel like it.

Anyway - it seems cars are quite replaceable and they dont car if you hit them or have to avoid them.

Im saving for a defender with steel bumpers just so I can get my own back ( if I can keep up that is ) Very Happy Very Happy

Post #303836 4th Aug 2016 8:14 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Some years ago I worked for a big multinational and all car drivers were sent on defensive driving courses. The essence was to have the mindset that everyone else on the road is an idiot (are you with me so far?) and that your prime concern is to get home safely to your loved ones. So don't attract confrontation and do all you can to let people know your intentions. The two pieces of advice that stuck in my mind were
1. when joining a motorway come down the right hand lane of the approach road with your indicator already going so that drivers on the motorway can see you as early as possible.
2. when driving on twisty windy rural roads don't be afraid to drive on the wrong side of the road if it gives you a better view around a left hand corner - you can always nip back in (unless the other car has the same strategy!)

There was other stuff about avoiding hot hatchbacks with young drivers. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #303839 4th Aug 2016 10:02 am
tim_roberts

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Santorini Black

I don't think it's happened overnight. I gave up driving into London (M25 & M11) some 20 years ago because I couldn't stand the aggression. I found myself starting to drive the same way and then got caught up in an accident where one guy deliberately rammed another guy and decided enough was enough. Took the train ever since.

Post #303843 4th Aug 2016 10:20 am
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

dorsetfreelander wrote:
Some years ago I worked for a big multinational and all car drivers were sent on defensive driving courses. The essence was to have the mindset that everyone else on the road is an idiot (are you with me so far?) and that your prime concern is to get home safely to your loved ones. So don't attract confrontation and do all you can to let people know your intentions. The two pieces of advice that stuck in my mind were
1. when joining a motorway come down the right hand lane of the approach road with your indicator already going so that drivers on the motorway can see you as early as possible.
2. when driving on twisty windy rural roads don't be afraid to drive on the wrong side of the road if it gives you a better view around a left hand corner - you can always nip back in (unless the other car has the same strategy!)

There was other stuff about avoiding hot hatchbacks with young drivers.

I did a similar course when I was a " wage slave" I agree with both of your points , the other one that I still do to this day is
" Tyres and Tarmac " , when you pull up behind another vehicle if you can see both of those you are never trapped if the vehicle in front can't move.
reference the quote in another post regarding BMW and Audi drivers, as both a driver and more importantly a motorcyclist I find many of the drivers of those brands to be the guys who are actually" driving " and will move out of the way for an approaching bike. Also many of those guys are the ones who have been on the company driving courses. IMHO the cars I always give a wide berth to when I'm on the bike are SUVs! 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #303844 4th Aug 2016 10:32 am
SaabDriver

England 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Loire Blue

My daughter lives and drives in London, when she visits us up in Yorkshire she has to remember to change out of "London mode". While I see a gap, indicate, move into gap. her "London mode" is indicate, move. Mine, Saab convertible
Hers, MY08 GS auto

Post #303846 4th Aug 2016 10:50 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

I don't know if it's my age but motorcyclists seem to come out of nowhere these days. Very often the first I know about them is when I am overtaken as they come up in your blind spot. I just wonder if they realise how invisible (and vulnerable) they are? 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #303856 4th Aug 2016 1:47 pm
MartynB

All bikes should run on dipped headlights , for the last 15 years there has been no option on new bikes, the dips come on with the ignition.
If a car driver cannot see a a dipped headlight approaching in his rear mirrors or wing mirrors, or even worse, at a junction or head on then indeed the motorcyclist will suffer. All motorcyclists are aware of their vulnerability., most ride defensively , but of course as with car drivers there will always be bad ones .

With regards to " bad ones " About 10 years ago N.Yorks police decided to run a " caught on Sunday, Court on Monday" campaign. The idea being swift justice to bikers using the Dales roads who rode badly. Indeed it did catch a number of miscreants, but it ended with car drivers being caught at a much higher proportion than the targets !

The big issue with cars is that they are no longer just there to be driven , they are mobile entertainment centres with too many distractions and it is all too easy to forget what we are supposed to do when we are sitting in them . 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

Post #303876 4th Aug 2016 5:23 pm
cqr

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey

The thing that that gets my goat up. is peaple driving in the middle lane at a snails pace
Ignorant ****s 2008 xs
Snorkel
raised axle/gearbox breathers
Mantec tank guard
Cb radio
Blanked EGR
Sump guard
Scratches
Snolkle

Post #303879 4th Aug 2016 6:29 pm
heyho

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

And this fairly new phenonema where people stay in the outside lane some 2-3 miles before their turn off going at 10 mph below speed limit. There a dual carriageway near me that is rife with that. I thought you moved to the outside lane to overtake and then a few hundred yards before a junction if you are turning right.

Post #303887 4th Aug 2016 8:47 pm
CliveS

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

It seems to me that so many drivers are becoming ever more selfish and oblivious to all around them, they drive around with their virtual blinkers on seeing only where they want to be with little or no regard for anyone else.

It puts me in mind of shoppers in a supermarket, those trolleys really should be fitted with rear view mirrors Whistle

PS; for those who may be unfamiliar - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blinkers_(horse_tack)

Post #303909 5th Aug 2016 9:23 am
Jimboland

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

SaabDriver wrote:
My daughter lives and drives in London, when she visits us up in Yorkshire she has to remember to change out of "London mode". While I see a gap, indicate, move into gap. her "London mode" is indicate, move.

Shouldn't that be "see a gap, indicate, LOOK and then move". So many so called drivers think that indicating, either before, during or after a maneuvre with or without looking first, gives them the absolute right to carry out that maneuvre irrespective of if it is safe to do so. But what do I know, I've only taken police advanced and high speed driver training.

J

Post #303913 5th Aug 2016 10:10 am
jubdad

2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

I assume you're being ironic here:

"normally trundle down the 50mph bit at nearly 60 and the 40 at 50 in the outside lane"

Post #303917 5th Aug 2016 12:29 pm
MartynB

Jimboland wrote:
SaabDriver wrote:
My daughter lives and drives in London, when she visits us up in Yorkshire she has to remember to change out of "London mode". While I see a gap, indicate, move into gap. her "London mode" is indicate, move.

Shouldn't that be "see a gap, indicate, LOOK and then move". So many so called drivers think that indicating, either before, during or after a maneuvre with or without looking first, gives them the absolute right to carry out that maneuvre irrespective of if it is safe to do so. But what do I know, I've only taken police advanced and high speed driver training.

J

I had a day with a Honda MAC trainer ( Motorcycle Advanced Course) . He was a Police class 1 rider and trainer for his day job.

Part of the day was observation with me following him as he euphemistically "made progress" on a 20 mile ride through town and out onto fast sweeping moorland roads . Then me going to the front and trying to replicate the route after listening to his commentary on the bike to bike radios. bow: talk about in a different league ! "Observation and planning" he said, on the next run. If I saw his brake light go on as we did the next 20 miles to a cafe for lunch , he would buy lunch. I know lads who think they can ride a bike , but this boy beat them all hands down , we passed every other vehicle on the road all with a second by second commentary assessing every hazard and never putting us in a dangerous position. All forward planning and throttle control from 2mph to bloody quick. I bought the lunches Thumbs Up 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

Post #303925 5th Aug 2016 4:11 pm
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

My wife and I have both been on these runs but with on-duty motorcyclists. It was 25+ years ago when the police were real people rather than camera's and anpr systems. They are such an eye opener to a better way of driving/riding and we still use the techniques learnt then today. Of course, good planning and sensible use of the throttle not only allows you to make progress, it gives better fuel consumption. Certainly if you haven't used your brakes you haven't wasted fuel.

Post #303933 5th Aug 2016 8:35 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>