Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > New fl2 buy
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Milothedog

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green

I know you have stated your Budget but if you could run to more you may wish to look at used approved cars. We bought a used approved XS for my Son just under 2 year s ago, we had many issues with the car from day one. I have to say though that it was all sorted eventuality under warranty. And he was given an equivalent or better courtesy car each time it went for repair.

We have now decided to buy one ourselves and pick up a 13 Reg HSE on Friday. it will come with a 2 year warranty that covers almost everything on the car.

It's worth looking in to if you can stretch the budget Thumbs Up

Ian.

Post #303801 3rd Aug 2016 5:49 pm
Carlwag

United Kingdom 

I think I've finally found one it's a xs 2007 plate so 9 years old however it's done 80k with one lady owner and full service history it look mint I've booked a test drive , he does still want £8400 for it which I'm not sure if a bit high pricewise

Any thoughts

Carl

Post #304474 13th Aug 2016 7:17 pm
Labradorslave

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Try and hold out for a 09 plate if you can. The camshaft design was changed from 09-. There haven't been many failures in the UK but they clearly changed the design for a reason. I personally would opt for a HSE . They are a much nicer interior and worth the extra money. HSE's also hold their value better and are easier to sell (I have sold 2 on ebay within four days of listing them). Nothing wrong with the lower spec cars (my first FL2 was the entry level "S") but the HSE cabin is much nicer as are the alloys.

Post #304490 13th Aug 2016 10:24 pm
Carlwag

United Kingdom 

I would love an 09 hse it's just monies really

Post #304494 13th Aug 2016 10:47 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Carlwag wrote:
I think I've finally found one it's a xs 2007 plate so 9 years old however it's done 80k with one lady owner and full service history it look mint I've booked a test drive , he does still want £8400 for it which I'm not sure if a bit high pricewise

Any thoughts

Carl

In August people are not dashing to buy 4x4 cars, especially ones that struggle to do 30 miles to the gallon and have high service costs. You should be able to pay substantially less than the asking price, try less 10% . In winter price will not be as flexible.

At the end of the day when cars get to a certain age you are buying the car on condition not the reg plate so the question is " is it worth it to you " ? .

In two years you will be into a big bill for the cam belt change, but if you keep the car long enough say 4 years, you may have spent £8k on buying the car , say £3k on service and tyres, and still be able to get 3 grand as a private sale , so the total cost of ownership would have been £ 2k a year. Not too bad. If you had a big repair bill of £2k as well, the overall cost of ownership would stil be only £2500 per year over 4 years. You would lose three grand the moment you drove a New Fiesta out of the showroom !

I'm pretty sceptical about the quality of earlier Freelander 2 vehicles, so I won't tell you ownership is a wonderful experience. I've had over a grands worth of repairs on an 09 once the warranty ran out, and looks like I'll have another £500 soon, and that vehicle has less than 50 k miles and coveredonly 17000 miles in 5 years !

They are a nice car to drive if you are not in a hurry, good commanding view from behind the wheel. very capable in snow ( useful in Hudderfield ) and if you get a good one it will serve you well. Ref the whole HSE v Lower spec thing , at 8 years old you need the best mechanical condition car you can buy for your money regardless of specification . 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #304568 15th Aug 2016 10:00 am
Carlwag

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the helpful post , things to think about definitely

Carl

Post #304584 15th Aug 2016 1:55 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12