« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Finance & Insurance > Insurance rant - Aviva
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
alpacaman

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue
Insurance rant - Aviva

I needed a stop gap before I got my FL2, so bought a cheap, old Saab 9-5 estate (not bad to drive actually). Found a reasonable policy with Aviva for £182.

A week or two later, I had found the FL2 and managed to get it added to the policy for an extra £260 (they mirrored the NCD, but didn't tell me it wasn't protected).

I called them today to cancel the insurance on the Saab (it's now for sale and on a SORN). No problem, they say, but we'll have to charge a £20 admin fee. Fair enough I thought, until the bloke told me I could have just transferred the original policy onto the FL2 and reinsured the Saab on a temporary basis at no cost. Grrr #1.

Anyway, I got the policy amendment through by email and was a bit surprised that the annual premium for the FL2 on its own was now £375. Er, even allowing for the £20 admin charge, the £36 multi-car discount, and their NCD protection cockup, how on earth could a vehicle that cost £260 to add to the policy cost £375 less than two weeks later?

I'm eagerly awaiting their reply. In the mean time, I did an online quote on exactly the same basis and it came out at... £293!

Do they just make this stuff up?

Post #296171 12th Apr 2016 5:06 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

Actually, I think they do. Swiftcover suddenly got expensive this year so I looked on Compare the Meercat, decided on Co-op Insurance, but had a look at the Co-op site to check prices. For exactly the same input the co-op site offered me different cover at a different (higher) price, so went back and bought it via the meercat. Although for some reason I never got my cuddly toy Evil or Very Mad Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
300TDi Disco (bought new - terrible car) sent back after 18 months
Freelander 1 Estate - leased, given back at end of lease
200TDi Disco (bought from a mate with 100,000 on the clock) - Gone
Disco 2 TD5 - sold and exported to France
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone
FR2 SD4 HSE - Now changed for a DS
New model ex-demo Evoque S 180 in white
Unable to order a new DS, so gave up. Now have a Volvo S90 Recharge.

Post #296172 12th Apr 2016 5:13 pm
rjc1944

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I'd been insured with LV for years, since well before they changed from Liverpool Victoria. This year's premium renewal seemed a bit steep so I went round to my friendly local insurance agent - it's good to deal with a real person. He shopped around for me and got a fairly good reduction with Highway. I'd never heard of Highway but I'm assured that the cover is identical and the service will be just as good. How do we know this? Because Highway is the branch of LV that you can only access via an agent!!! They even have the same address and 'phone numbers.

So LV, having held my custom for years on multiple cars and motorbikes, can offer me a lower premium and pay an agent's commission providing I don't deal with them direct! Now isn't that good customer service? Ours - 2008 Stornoway Grey HSE Auto
Tricia's - 2006 Royal Blue Beetle Cabriolet Auto
Mine - 2014 Vespa GTS 300 Super Sport Matt Black
Ours - 2007 White Bailey Pageant Champagne

Post #296173 12th Apr 2016 6:00 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Most years I find I have to call LV and say that the increase is now a deal breaker, amazingly they always then find a lower quote. Simples ? Banging Head FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #296176 12th Apr 2016 6:50 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

And the companies now all seem to have an automatic renewal in place, so you have to call them to cancel the policy, at which point they will offer you a cheaper deal. Are we turning into one of those third world countries where you are expected to bargain to get a good price? Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
300TDi Disco (bought new - terrible car) sent back after 18 months
Freelander 1 Estate - leased, given back at end of lease
200TDi Disco (bought from a mate with 100,000 on the clock) - Gone
Disco 2 TD5 - sold and exported to France
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone
FR2 SD4 HSE - Now changed for a DS
New model ex-demo Evoque S 180 in white
Unable to order a new DS, so gave up. Now have a Volvo S90 Recharge.

Post #296182 12th Apr 2016 8:23 pm
hinchy

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Aintree Green

I'm getting sick of playing this game each year with insurance companies. Why would they think I would pay nearly double each year when there's so many companies to choose from. £300 is my limit, under is good over is a big no no. MY13 HSE LUX Aintree Green
MY57 SE Stornoway Grey. Gone
Nissan X Trail
Discovery V8 LPG
Series II Land Rover

Post #296190 12th Apr 2016 9:50 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Just arranged SWMBO insurance on the Micra
Admiral quoted £488
So we went with a.n.other at £189. Admiral rang to see if we were still interested, told them we went with a.n.other for £189, lady on the phone said Admiral could match that and that we could cancel the insurance with the other firm as we had 14 days cooling off period.
I asked why then didn't they quote £189 when I asked for a quote - apparently they always quote high when you apply direct, and then price match. Needless to say Admiral missed another customer.

For me all this bargaining is not the English way (except in Yorkshire), give me your best price first time. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #296197 13th Apr 2016 12:05 am
Yorky Bob

"For me all this bargaining is not the English way (except in Yorkshire), give me your best price first time"

For once as a Tyke I have to agree with that man from over the hill. All those phone calls cost money. Big Cry FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #296207 13th Apr 2016 7:45 am
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

I think insurance companies just hope there is a mug on the other end of the phone & will accept any silly figure that the system produces.
March the 10th I did agreed valuation of £9900.oo each on my MG Metro & MG Montego, got an email a day or so ago to say the agreed valuations dept had amended it to £9000. I rang them up & told them to put it back to what I asked & paid the extra for the agreed valuation for or give me a full refund & I will go elsewhere. They are currently looking into it. (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #296211 13th Apr 2016 8:12 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Evidently these insurers are having a hard time of it. According to the FT they are having to try every trick in the book to make you pay more as fewer young people are bothering to learn to drive and more people are using comparison sites. They expect it to get even less profitable when driverless cars come along which could be insured directly by the manufacturer. Lesson, don't buy insurance company shares for the long term. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #296212 13th Apr 2016 8:30 am
freedieselauto

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Rimini Red

I have been with Admiral for 8 years at a very good price. However this year they increased my wife's car by 43% (Fiat 500) and my FL2 by 29%. A quick compare on Moneysupermarket and LV= with same cover saved 10% on last year's premium. Both cars now comp and protected NCD with £250 excess for total of £343. That's £170 less than Admiral wanted. Yet another example of an insurer fleecing long standing customer. No second chance for Admiral. - 2007(57) XS Auto, Rimini Red, Alpaca Leather.
- GCS Hawke - Sports, BRG, Vulcan 2.1 inj'. My toy - built it myself in 2001.

Post #296216 13th Apr 2016 8:42 am
PR

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

With LV for years. Quote came in last week and was 25% up. Got some quotes from other insurers, well cheaper. So back to LV and now £40.00 cheaper than last year. 3 polnts for speeding made no difference to policy cost!
Well pleased. 1998 300TDi Auto Disco, never to be forgotten.
2008 Auto TD4 Freelander2, now gone?
2013 Auto SD4 Freelander!
A proud member of Landytown.com
Visit our blog at
http://paullizlifeontheopenroad.blogspot.com/ updated October 2017

Post #296221 13th Apr 2016 10:53 am
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

Insurance companies & any other financial institution are about as trustworthy as Hitler in a Monastery. (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #296265 13th Apr 2016 7:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
andy3681

United Kingdom 

It's a PITA but you need to shop round every renewal time. I have had a renew quote from one insurer £200 above the same quote I get online from directwecomparethechurchil.com for the same insurer, You just end up having a frustrating phone call and end up moving anyway. They rely on people being not bothered to check for a better quote.
Howeve one thing I have just learnt if you are on low milage look at a classic/low miles policy.
I just insured the MG for £120 fully comp on 3000 miles a year and that includes commuting well chuffed.

Post #296291 14th Apr 2016 8:24 am
Yorky Bob

"3000 miles a year and that includes commuting".

At that mileage restriction to include commuting you could walk your daily commute then ? Whistle FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #296292 14th Apr 2016 8:40 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>