« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Is it possible or wise ? Haldex Filter
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red
Is it possible or wise ? Haldex Filter

I have been looking at some of the diagrams on this site of the Haldex and wonder if you:

Remove the rear propshaft. Pull off the Haldex input drive flange you then have easy access to the filter without removing the whole unit.

Then remove filter, Syringe out most of the oil (not much in there anyway) new filter in and oil via top up plug and job done.

Views sought and appreciated and after all you do not take your diesel engine apart when doing a oil and filter change and life goes on with that wee bit of oil residue always left. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #295261 2nd Apr 2016 11:12 am
Jim NI

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Loire Blue

Changed filter and oil on haldex a couple of months back - no need to drop unit out. Longest part of job was removing old oil 2014 SE Loire Blue SD4 Auto (MY15)
Gone - 2011 GS Baltic Blue, Retrofit Electric Leather, Side Steps, 19"SC's, Roof Rails, TT Sat Nav Mod, Retrofit Premium Audio, Retro fit 2013 Xenons with DRL & Sig Strip (Clutch at 47k)
Gone - 2007 GS Narvik Black, Privacy Glass, 19" SC's, Side Steps,Roof Rails, Roof Spoiler, Lamp Guards, Retrofit Electric Leather (Clutch at 115k)
Gone - 2007 SE Santorini Black (Clutch at 120k)
BT IID (best money ever spent on a car)

Post #295301 2nd Apr 2016 9:00 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Jim

Could you explain how you did it please. Jules

Post #295395 4th Apr 2016 12:03 am
Bogart

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey

Yes method you used please.

Post #296565 17th Apr 2016 5:34 pm
taztastic

England 

Tada!

Click image to enlarge

Post #296566 17th Apr 2016 5:56 pm
taztastic

England 

C'mon guys, once in a while, use the search, its all in there, long standing members aren't in the habit of telling 'how to do it' each and every time they get asked. Thumbs Up

Post #296567 17th Apr 2016 5:59 pm
Stevie5tapes

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Auto Sumatra Black

Does the Haldex have a filter? I only ask as I had a new Haldex pump fitted last year, guy I use said that the FL2 Haldex only has a piece of gauze, not a proper filter. The mechanic said that's why there are problems with the Haldex on the FL2 as its sealed for life where as Audi for example have a filter and service schedule for changing the filter. Black MY2013 SD4 GS Auto, Wood Company Armrest, Freel2 sticker.
Gone MY2010 Freelander 2 Manual TD4.e S, Alaska White.

Post #296583 17th Apr 2016 9:30 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Yes the Haldex has a filter.

There are two different Haldex fitted to FL2, Version 3 (up to about 2009) and version 4.
They both have filters, not that LR says they have a service interval, I think LR expect the Haldex to fail first, but other manufacturers who fit either version 3 or version 4 Haldex do say that the oil/filter should be changed.

do a search for Bell Engineering on this site. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #296585 17th Apr 2016 10:01 pm
austen_fl2

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

Yorky,

1. You wont get the input flange off without removing the Haldex, the centre nut is proper tight and locktited.
2. Taking it off wont really help with access anyway
3. There is no need to take it off to remove the filter, or even motor on a haldex 4, haldex 3 you need to remove it to remove the motor.
4. The Haldex is only held on with 4 bolts, so once the prop is off its not actually hard to get off
5. Removing the haldex means you can remove all the old oil, and have good access to clean the crap out the Haldex.

BTW the way i just added another line to my guide on Haldex servicing id forgot, first step, drop rear exhaust off hangers, this give alot more access. www.bellengineering.co.uk

Post #296592 18th Apr 2016 7:41 am
Yorky Bob

Well I asked the question before having a go to change just the filter and now having had another near death experience (I do like to a bit of drama) I am now going to say its not that wise, although it may be possible in your drive.

Reason for the drama, the ramps I recently purchased are now a twisted mess ! Censored

Dusted myself off and got her up with enough room to crawl under and came to the conclusion a pit or a ramp to have a fighting chance doing the filter in situ.

Not the best Monday so far but still hear to tell the tale. Banging Head

I wonder how far it is to DY12 2XG ?

What a year and its only April Whistle

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-35278434 FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #296612 18th Apr 2016 11:22 am
austen_fl2

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

ouch!!!!! www.bellengineering.co.uk

Post #296614 18th Apr 2016 11:24 am
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Glad you survived YB. You now know that with an 1800kg car you need good ramps! Where did you get them? Name & shame!

(another) Bob 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #296621 18th Apr 2016 12:46 pm
Yorky Bob

Will update the ramps issue after I see how they treat me over the next few days as they have been returned for a credit and discussion over the now damaged lower wing finisher (£33.80p). The ramps were new and rated at 2.5 tonnes. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #296635 18th Apr 2016 4:46 pm
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Shocked

I have a pair made with welded steel angle. Had them for years. So old I do not know what the capacity is, but they take the Freelander without problem. 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #296638 18th Apr 2016 4:53 pm
Dan Freeler

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Soon after getting my new-to-me 07 Freelander 2 HSE Auto (70k) I experienced rear o/s wheel judder when turning right out of junctions.

There was no sign the Gen 3 Haldex had been serviced (but why when LR reckon it is virtually non-serviceable?). I asked at my local garage with experience of Land Rovers, but they weren’t keen on what would be a major job just to change fluids and their LR expert suggested a new Haldex! I called Austen at Rex Engineering (whose input on the forum on this issue is really useful) and he booked me in for a fluid and filter change.

I dropped the car off on Saturday (April 16) and whiled away a few hours in lovely Cleobury Mortimer (I recommend the all-day breakfast at the café). Austen showed me the pump, old filter and internals – full of gunge (see pic). Fortunately the Haldex had not burnt out like some he has seen. A good clean, new filters and fluid later and we were back on the road, hopeful I had at least prevented major damage.

I have noticed the car now seems ‘lighter on its wheels’. On a quiet dual carriageway I hoofed it and the thing went like a scalded (ok a well-warmed) cat. Austen confirmed that the clean Haldex should now be applying and releasing full 4wd only when needed. I had been driving around with a semi-comatose Haldex, sometimes on sometimes off which perhaps explains why the car came with a well-worn o/s rear?

And, I don’t know if this is down to me resetting the trip mileage the next day (it was at 9k) but my average mpg reading is now reaching around 35-37mpg around town with 48mpg shown on the overrun and it now fluctuates like an instant readout (mine is a MY 07)? Previously the mpg had not gone above 33.2 mpg regardless of driving style.

So I’m another convert to having your Haldex serviced and, if yours has never been done, think about doing it. Thanks Austen.

Post #296710 19th Apr 2016 10:43 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>