« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Hacked bank account
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
eddiekol

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver
Hacked bank account

I tried to pay a bill online this afternoon,but had my Debit card declined.I know that my account is in credit,so couldn't figure out the problem.I then tried to access my online bank account,but no luck.I ended up phoning my bank,and it seems that there were a couple of dodgy transactions that were flagged up.I have a feeling that the problem stems from a Shell station that I use sometimes,as this was the only card transaction that I used whilst out.Needless to say,I shan't be using that Shell station again!All this a day before we go away to the Lake District for a week.

Post #295227 1st Apr 2016 9:17 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Sounds like card cloning. I went to a cash point a few years ago and unbeknown to me, my card had been cloned. The crims successfully managed x2 £10 O2 top-ups (to test if the bank spots anything amiss apparently), then tried to buy £800 worth of cosmetics online from Hong Kong Laughing - Because I'm worth it Whistle

The bank blocked that immediately and I could not access online banking or the app. The bank duly refunded the £20 that had been cleared and sent me a new card. Job done Thumbs Up LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #295236 1st Apr 2016 11:05 pm
SaabDriver

England 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Loire Blue

We had the same, 2 x £10 O2 top ups taken from the account but no one mentioned that it was to check out the account.
We noticed it the day after it had been taken and had the card blocked so maybe we were too quick for them.
Plod told us we were not the only ones to have reported it and that they were all O2 top ups because O2 were the only phone company that didn't keep any records to tell what phone had received the top ups. Mine, Saab convertible
Hers, MY08 GS auto

Post #295238 2nd Apr 2016 12:09 am
Metropolis

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Loire Blue

Petrol Stations are a common source for cloning. Always watch to see if you card is swiped twice in two different readers. In most cases, your card should no longer be swiped at all, with you being asked to use the Chip and Pin pad only. If it is, question why and if you have any concerns, contact your bank and the Police.

Post #295242 2nd Apr 2016 7:40 am
Paul1966

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Izmir Blue

My card was done a few years back and they emptied my bank account within 24 hours inc a £1000 overdraft. I bought £2000 air tickets in Malaysia at 2.30am on a Tuesday morning,£800 of pub garden furniture along with other items. The thing that got me was Barclays did nothing about it and I wasn't aware until they sent me a letter about the bank charges for being overdrawn.needless to say I don't bank with them anymore.

Post #295248 2nd Apr 2016 8:50 am
Landiroamer

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4_e SE Manual Orkney Grey

A local garage I used always had to put in my PIN number, ok fine, and as you do you try to hide or cover the key pad with your hand so no one can see what number you are putting in, that was until the guy on the till said I dont know why folk cover the key pad because it shows on my till what the PIN number is youre typing in, yours is 1234, whatever and he was right.
I thought then how crap the PIN number security was as you only need someone not so honest and they have the details they needed to spend on your card?

Post #295253 2nd Apr 2016 10:03 am
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked I am sure that should not happen! 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #295254 2nd Apr 2016 10:07 am
EYorkshire

Quote:
I am sure that should not happen!

Correct, there is no way your PIN is repeated on a retailers till, unless it has something going on that should not be there.

Post #295264 2nd Apr 2016 11:27 am
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

The problem is that the hardware that is used at the point of sale is the unsecure part of the equation and the card reader more unsecure than the rest as they are supplied by the retailer. It is what happens between you putting the card in the reader and that data getting to the card company/bank that is the problem. Once the card is in the reader you won't know how many times the data is read and where it is stored and you're then going to enter the PIN number voluntarily.
As an aside, if you don't have an iPhone, try some nfc software on your phone and see what you get when you scan your chip and pin card!

Post #295268 2nd Apr 2016 12:18 pm
Landiroamer

There must have been something dodgy with his reader then, because thats what the guy told me and he read out my PIN Id just typed in and showed me on his display and I certainly havent told anyone it, so if it could be done there it makes you wonder where else the details are coming up too, I mean they wont tell you normally will they so you wouldnt ever know, you assume its all secure, but that proves it isnt necessarily so?

Post #295269 2nd Apr 2016 12:50 pm
Harrim51

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Orkney Grey

Apple Pay. Fingerprints only job done

Post #295270 2nd Apr 2016 1:42 pm
Landiroamer

You could but criminals would no doubt be chopping off fingers then, also I have fingerprint recognition for my computer and if you get any cuts it doesnt recognise you so wont let yourself in, so you can prevent yourself from emptying your bank account too.
Whatever is done someone is trying to find a way around the system and always do eventually.
Its all the person who invented money fault really..

Post #295275 2nd Apr 2016 3:11 pm
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

This explains why a lot of card scams originate from service stations - too many independents staffed by young part timers whose pastime is hacking..... 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #295284 2nd Apr 2016 5:10 pm
eddiekol

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Nationwide blocked my account very quickly,so damage was limited.Largest amount was for £50 for a top-up card and a couple of small attempted amounts which flagged up a problem.The bank sorted the problem speedily and refunded the amounts stolen.The only problem was getting in touch with the bank in the first place.Tried phoning but couldn't get through. In the end had to contact them via Facebook!

Post #295371 3rd Apr 2016 7:08 pm
RedMike

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Loire Blue

I find Halifax are very good.

They can check for patterns & once blocked a (fraudulent) transaction for gambling because I had never used a gambling site before.

Also we once had a spending spree 40 miles from our home town, then drove home (quite quickly), went straight to local Tesco's to purchase food and got a phone call to check if it was us using the card due to its recent use 40 mile away. LR Freelander 2 2014 metropolis SD4 auto in Loire Blue.
LR Freelander 2 2011 facelift HSE SD4 auto in Firenze Red + Premium pack & cold weather pack (affectionately known as Eve) Sadly written off in an RTA Insurance write off December 2022😢.
Vauxhall Astra 67 plate
Subaru Impreza 2008 (Sold 2016)
Vauxhall Adam 1.4 Glam 2015 (sold 2017) (affectionately known as Adam)

Post #295411 4th Apr 2016 12:45 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>