Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > My first outing with my FL2.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
mcsimmo

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Mauritius Blue
My first outing with my FL2.

I have a Coachman Laser 650/4, which is quite a heavy twin axle van. When I bought the van several years ago, I had a FL2 TD4 manual. (09 plate)
I found towing it with that FL2 hard work. Also, 2 failed clutches didn't help, I quickly changed it for a D3. The D3 was amazing, and it never felt as if I was towing the van.
5 Years on, and the D3 had to go as it was 8 years old with 100000 miles on the clock, and a lot of expensive faults developing.
Did my research and bought a 63 plate SD4 auto.
I cant believe how well it towed compared to my first FL2. Not as quick of the mark as the D3, but a very capable towing vehicle.
I'm a happy bunny. Updated- Waiting for a Scotland v England 6 Nations home win. 24th Feb 2018
Gone-1972 88 SWB Soft top
Gone-1981 24v FFR Lightweight
Gone-2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS manual
Gone before it bankrupted me- 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto

Post #295000 30th Mar 2016 7:12 am
ronp

Scotland 

Once your over the initial loss of a D3 or D4, and you get used to slightly less room, the FL2 isn't too bad at all.
Most satisfying part of ownership is when you keep reading all the various woes (and high costs) that the our D3/D4 brethren experience ..... then match that against the cheaper running expenses (and less likelihood of such costly repairs) and you know you've made the right decision. Thumbs Up FL2 now gone and have a couple of items left for sale:-

Brodit active iPhone holder + Brodit dash clip,
Bluetooth Music Streaming Module.

Post #295001 30th Mar 2016 7:55 am
Kevin56

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Galway Green

I learnt a long time ago that towing with an auto will always be better than with a manual, but with the weak FL2 clutch it does seem especially true on this car. My van is pretty heavy too, and my HSE auto does the job brilliantly. Set the cruise for 60 and don't worry about hills ever again!

Post #295065 30th Mar 2016 7:03 pm
ianfish

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black
Re: My first outing with my FL2.

mcsimmo wrote:
I have a Coachman Laser 650/4, which is quite a heavy twin axle van. When I bought the van several years ago, I had a FL2 TD4 manual. (09 plate)
I found towing it with that FL2 hard work. Also, 2 failed clutches didn't help, I quickly changed it for a D3. The D3 was amazing, and it never felt as if I was towing the van.
5 Years on, and the D3 had to go as it was 8 years old with 100000 miles on the clock, and a lot of expensive faults developing.
Did my research and bought a 63 plate SD4 auto.
I cant believe how well it towed compared to my first FL2. Not as quick of the mark as the D3, but a very capable towing vehicle.
I'm a happy bunny.

That's good news, I've just swapped from a Rav 4 to a 13 plate SD4auto, first tow on Monday coming up when we travel to Dorset to swap our Lunar Quasar for a new Bailey Pegasus. Not as heavy as your van I know but it's good to hear positive comments on the towing ability. The Rav was good, just getting a bit long in the tooth, and this will be the 6th Landy! (opps 7th with the RR classic owned for 14 years!) MY 2013 SD GS Auto

Post #295197 1st Apr 2016 9:42 am
ianfish

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

Well it towed well, until the red warning triangle appeared on the dash along with "restricted performance" !! Called LR assistance, they were ther in 40 mins(lay by on A35) Plugged in his laptop, EGR valve sticking. He could recover us back to the dealer in Barnstaple,(not an option, collecting new van next day) or drive it for the next couple of days as it was. he reset it and it was fine for 2 days but coming home going uphill on the A30 near Exeter it happened again, so as advised I put it into Sport and changed gear manually. It was OK , bit slow, max 2000 revs! All fixed under warranty by the dealer(had a new Disco Sport while it was being done!) looking forward to our 5 weeks in France now. MY 2013 SD GS Auto

Post #297036 22nd Apr 2016 9:15 am
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Wonder how the French recovery service is ? Laughing

Post #297039 22nd Apr 2016 10:05 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1