Home > General > To buy or not to buy
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
bluecfc

United Kingdom 
To buy or not to buy

Hi Gents

Thinking of taking the plunge on one of these, was looking at Defenders but she says they are ‘too agricultural’, who needs a heater!
So have agreed to go this route, starting to do some research and these sound very nice cars, except for all the tales of doom and gloom, DMF, Diff, Steering etc. But I guess its the same with everything you only get to hear of the downsides and nothing about when things are normal. Looking for a HSE 2.2 manual, budget of £9K-10K would get 07/08 with mileage 80k/90k, seems to be a fair few about. But heres the problem and of course you can only generalise but would the issues listed above be ironed out by now, seems generally to have been a lot of work done under warranty, or could the faults that were fixed 40/50K miles ago be starting to appear again.
Any thoughts
I don’t really know why I’m asking because I know I going to buy one anyway

Post #294362 22nd Mar 2016 1:34 pm
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

DMF and clutches fail on almost all cars fitted with them, 600-800 to replace at an indy.

Ive had 2 manual GS models and both ended up with failed DMF/Clutch, but plenty on here have driven manuals to well over 100k miles with no issues. I would avoid a manual with a tow bar fitted unless the seller can prove its had light use only or had the clutch etc replaced recently. Ive got an auto HSE now and I love it, but its down to personal preference.

just look for a full complete service history, and get a warranty with it just in case.

Post #294366 22nd Mar 2016 1:46 pm
Browny90

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

but.. make sure you check the warranty small print, as often they dont include Diff's, clutches/ flywheels etc..

I was offered one with Available car, but when I read into it it seems to exclude pretty much all the things that actually go wrong...

Happy Searching! MY2011 Freelander 2 GS Santorini Black
MY2004 Freelander 1 Sport Java Black
MY1986 Defender 90 Stornoway Grey - Fully Rebuilt this Year

Post #294368 22nd Mar 2016 2:10 pm
sergio977

Italy 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Orkney Grey

my 2 cents....don't look too much to specific forums, don't surf too much the net searching for the typical failures but check and evaluate case by case the car you've in front of you.

I have cars with:

the "infamous" 1.5 and 1.9 Renault DCi: google for "k9k crankshaft bearings problem" or "F9Q crankshaft bearings problem"->lots of dead engine ...mine runs like a rocket.

the "inglorious" BMW E90 320d: google for "E90 320d turbo failure" -> seems turbochargers needs to be replaces every 80.000 km....my brothers is driving his E90 hitting the 260.000 km in these days ( also never had DMF problems) without changing nothing except the engine oil.

and I can go on with dad's Peugeot 3008...never had FAP ( google " Peugeot 3008 FAP problems) issues even with his "dramatic" way of driving...start the engine, stop after <1 km to buy the news paper, start again then stop again after 2 km at the office, then start again to go to the baker 500 meters away...

or my sisters Opel/Vauxhall Meriva...

my FL2 is hitting 145.000 km ( June 2007) and the only problem at the moment is the ( partial) failure of the throttle body.

So OK to surf the net searching info but don't let the net influeces your choice

Smile

Post #294373 22nd Mar 2016 2:34 pm
Kevin56

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Galway Green

Buy the car you want to drive. Worry about it breaking when it breaks. In the meantime enjoy it. If you're really worried, buy one for a grand less, and leave a grand in the bank to deal with any breakdowns.

Post #294413 22nd Mar 2016 9:49 pm
turboextreme

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Loire Blue

I owned my Freelander 2 07 in 2008 when it was 1 year old 4200 on the clock I have now clocked 104324 miles in her. Mines been reasonably reliable the problems started around 72000 miles which is due to wear and tear. Brakes were expensive as at 72000 needed New disks and pads front and rear, new rear Callipers and rear adjusters etc at the cost of £800 but that because I wanted brembo disks and Frodo pads.
82000 haldex making noise whilst turning caused by low oil cost me around £100 to service as I replaced diff oil and transfer box oil.
Clutch started to slip on hills at 85000 miles failed at 92000 when it started to fail I had problems reversing up steep hills would refuse and stall.
The only other issues I had was failed door look motors resulting in doors either not locking or not unlocking but would open manually.

If you buy a Freelander 2 service history is essential as it should have quite a stack of receipts as well as a good stamped book. Thumbs Up

As you are buying one with around 80k miles you should find every thing should have been sorted as since I have rectified my faults on my it has been reliable as it was new.

Post #294452 23rd Mar 2016 11:15 am
Uncleron

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Bali Blue

Do your research, buy the best one with good history you can find and get out there and enjoy it!!

Cracking cars........

Post #294458 23rd Mar 2016 12:54 pm
the lost dude

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

If your better half is involved then I think she will definitely prefer the Freelander to the rather agricultural alternative!
I would love a Defender but they seem more suited ( and brilliant) for the rough terrain and if you need it for day to day stuff and motorway journeys then the Freelander is definitely the way to go
If you fancy an XS rather than a HSE then please drop me a line as I have a beaut that's now available. The spec is excellent and a great alternative to the HSE
Good luck with your search

Post #294900 28th Mar 2016 10:53 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

All cars need repairs, one just needs to budget for them.

A new car looses far more in depreciation than the repairs that will come sooner on any second hand car. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #294905 29th Mar 2016 7:34 am
rjc1944

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

My usual comment on threads like this - why buy a manual gearbox? Autos are easier to drive, far better in traffic, in a different league for towing. OK, it costs a bit more in fuel but if you're looking at a 2-ton 4x4 you're not really after an economy car anyway. A clutch pedal is like a starting handle - I used to have a car that needed one, I know how to use one, I don't want another!

Whatever you get, enjoy it. Four years in I still enjoy getting in mine every time. Ours - 2008 Stornoway Grey HSE Auto
Tricia's - 2006 Royal Blue Beetle Cabriolet Auto
Mine - 2014 Vespa GTS 300 Super Sport Matt Black
Ours - 2007 White Bailey Pageant Champagne

Post #294924 29th Mar 2016 11:07 am
Jack frost

United Kingdom 
Re: To buy or not to buy

bluecfc wrote:
Hi Gents

Thinking of taking the plunge on one of these, was looking at Defenders but she says they are ‘too agricultural’, who needs a heater!
So have agreed to go this route, starting to do some research and these sound very nice cars, except for all the tales of doom and gloom, DMF, Diff, Steering etc. But I guess its the same with everything you only get to hear of the downsides and nothing about when things are normal. Looking for a HSE 2.2 manual, budget of £9K-10K would get 07/08 with mileage 80k/90k, seems to be a fair few about. But heres the problem and of course you can only generalise but would the issues listed above be ironed out by now, seems generally to have been a lot of work done under warranty, or could the faults that were fixed 40/50K miles ago be starting to appear again.
Any thoughts

Just buy it & enjoy they are fantastic cars, if you look at any car forum it's always doom & gloom, people always post bad news.

Post #294938 29th Mar 2016 12:28 pm
Boroboy

United Kingdom 
Re: To buy or not to buy

bluecfc wrote:
Hi Gents

Any thoughts

I own a 58 FL2 TD4. Now covered 92k, have owned it for 3.5 years. No dmf or clutch total failure yet. Still running with org ones. No swirl flap or egr valve issues. No steering faults. Have changed read diff bearing. Rear brake calliper. Front wheel bearing. Throttle body motor. Couple of extra fuel filters. Rest wear & tear stuff. Tyres, brake discs & pads etc.
Cant really help you with predicting the future, as I don't have a crystal ball. You have to expect some issues with a car that age & mileage.
Ours is a manual & averaged around 33mpg over the duration of ownership. Landy has now gone.

Post #294991 29th Mar 2016 10:50 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1