Home > Off Topic > landscaping dilemma
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
npinks

United Kingdom 
landscaping dilemma

I am having a bit of a dilemma, about my garden

I have a chap lined up to patio a area of it and sort out some fencing, I had to clear the area behind my garage, were the previous owners had dumped old fences, doors plant pots, get rid of my old shed, so I made a start this week

Only to find the mound of junk was infact 2-3ft of earth and no retaining wall between my garden and the foundations of my neighbours garage. Confused

So if I dig down, to my garage bases level, then i'm left with a wall of clay mud, that could wash out over time and effect her garage base.

A couple of landscapers said that area, behind my garage is nearly 10m2 so why not build it up and deck that area instead of a 10m2 bin store

so im not back to the design idea stage, grey patio the new patio area? dig out and build a retaining wall, to hold back her 20ft garage and foundations

or

leave and build a decking section on risers and have a area to do something with and leave the bin's down the side of the garage as they are now.

One gets the bins out of sight, the other gives me 10m2 decking area, 2-3ft off the floor, overlooking my neighbours kitchen window and my garage roof, but I'm unsure how high a privacy fence I could build here

If I was to fence this section off, were would the level be for the permitted development of a structure (fence), as over 3m tall you need planning permission, on my boundary (position (1) in the photo below) or (2) the level of my garden and new patio if I extended with decking to the same height, would the 3m height restriction start from position (2), as a 6ft fence panel will effectively be 8-9ft tall, were are if I can only put a 6ft tall fence there at decking height it will be 3ft tall, not exactly a privacy fence.

or build a retaining wall, at position (3) excavate to my garage base level and keep with the original plan of a bin store

Sketch Photo to try explain

Then Aerial plan

Photo from streetview, (between my garage you can see the mound of earth, in green weed colour

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #294026 18th Mar 2016 3:38 pm
pcheaven

United Kingdom 

humm

decking must not exceed 30cm above ground level, if it does, then u need planning permission.
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permissio...s/decking/

might have to install a retaining wall Sad 

Post #294028 18th Mar 2016 4:37 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Id say do the retaining wall regardless to avoid future disputes
Speak to neighbour, surely they cant rely on your garden to hold their garage up, They should contribute to the cost of a retaining wall along the boundary line, At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #294033 18th Mar 2016 5:29 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Will investigate the costs of the boundary wall

The decking would be floor level, well at one side it would Laughing Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #294051 18th Mar 2016 8:05 pm
pcheaven

United Kingdom 

u can always cheat the planning laws.
Just build the decking in two parts.
part #1 is on the elevated land.
Part #2 is on the lower land and not actually attached to part #1, just butted up against it.
you can tell the planning officer that part is a table Laughing

Nothing they can do about that, and no expensive retaining wall.
Simples. 

Post #294056 18th Mar 2016 8:39 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

once we have the shed taken down tomorrow and looked at the open plan/space we will have a better idea how this space could be used.

i'm thinking of bracing it with a row of concrete fence posts, gravel boards and back fill it with cement, its not moved sine the 1970 so should be quite stable Wink

edit. now thinking railway sleepers Smile Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #294066 18th Mar 2016 9:44 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

chicken george wrote:
Id say do the retaining wall regardless to avoid future disputes
Speak to neighbour, surely they cant rely on your garden to hold their garage up, They should contribute to the cost of a retaining wall along the boundary line,

I had a big issue like this with a neighbour a few years ago. I live on the side of a hill and the guy below dug out a parking space which caused part of my garden to collapse and potentially threaten my house. Luckliy the guy had the money and sorted it out with a retaining wall that cost him over £20k but my lawyer said that I had a right of support from him and that he had to either reinstate the hillside or provide a retaining wall to fix the problem. In the end he had a structural engineer design a reinforced concrete wall 5 metres high and a couple of feet thick at the bottom. Your problem is nowhere like this but the principal is the same that if you dig it out you are responsible for providing suppor for your neighbour's garage wall. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #294078 19th Mar 2016 1:17 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #294082 19th Mar 2016 8:58 am
Landiroamer

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4_e SE Manual Orkney Grey

Basically neighbours are a nuisance, who would live right up next to one given the choice? a reason why all those high up MPs and judges etc have neighbours who live no closer than 3 miles away from their gated mansion.
The more houses they are expected to fit on a piece of land now, I believe its 20 per acre? is why, unless youre on kissing and hugging terms with your neighbours disputes over what and who can do what will only get worse.
The houses are so close now you cant even get a ladder up to maintain yours without going on next doors property and standing in their flower beds, a 1 metre gap in some cases between supposedly detached houses, this means several hundred pounds to have it scaffolded to do anything more than a step ladder height from the ground.

Post #294089 19th Mar 2016 10:49 am
Dartman the one

England 

The neighbours garage seems to be above mean ground level, therefore the support of its foundations are his responsibility, had he been on the high side of the hill above you then Dorsets would apply. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #294091 19th Mar 2016 10:59 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1