Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > In Car Electronics > Have anyone installed those Chinese Android Navi systems?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Navis

Finland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Auto Barolo Black
Have anyone installed those Chinese Android Navi systems?

Hi,

Have anyone successfully installed one of those Android navigation / multimedia systems?

I ended up buying one like this:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/For-Land-Ro...37146.html

except it was couple of hundred euros cheaper. But I have had hard times trying to install it, as installation instructions were non-existent. There are adapters which I think should be connected to the wire harness which powers rear seat passengers' power outlet in rear console, but if I connect the adapter to the harness, the device won't power up nor I have power at the power outlet anymore. Any ideas?

There's the adapter in the middle of the attached picture.

Post #293447 12th Mar 2016 5:58 pm
turboextreme

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Loire Blue

Whistle I wouldn't bother wasting money on anything electronic made in china as you can guarantee it will fail in a very short time due to poor build quality issues or cheap fake components. I bought a multi function computer once for a mk4 golf which worked quite well for a few weeks then it caught fire smoke billowing out of the unit without warning took nearly 2 months to rid the car of the burnt electrical smell.

Post #293474 12th Mar 2016 9:05 pm
Trekker1972

Italy 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 S Auto Stornoway Grey

Hi,
I have installed that navi system 3 month ago. I bought it from a different chinese dealer, but the model is the same.
I have had, as prevented, some problems to install it as the bare manual doesn't help. Anyway, after some hours of work and some emails to the dealer, it's working at the 80% of the expected function.
The main complains about this product are:
- the hands free bluetooth doesn't work: I can pair the phone, but the caller can't hear my voice from the microphone even if I can hear him from the radio speaker.
- the steering wheel commands doesn't work, becouse they need a canbus connection and the navigator doesn't have.
There are some wires marked with "CAN", but they are connected (only to a side) to the "MOST" original radio connector that doesn't provide the canbus. The dealer, after some push from me, has admitted that the navigator can't work in the Freelander despite to the technical data written in the site. Evil or Very Mad

As usual the chinese products can't keeping all their promises. I can spend more money to buy a product from an affordable brand, but nobody sells a product like it exept the chinese dealers.

The bright side is that now I can listen my favourite music stored in a large HDD drive, I can see the image from the rearview camera, I can use the navigator app I prefer and I can add a lot of new android apps from the market.
In these days I'm testing a Parrot minikit for the bluetooth hands free and I think it's a good aftermarket solution. MY11 SD4 S

www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/676513.html

Post #293494 13th Mar 2016 12:09 am
Culagh

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Ipanema Sand

Can you say where you connected it up to as I installed one in a previous car and that replaced the original radio.

Post #293573 14th Mar 2016 12:02 am
Navis

Looks like the seller has now refined the link stating that it's for 2008-2012 Freelanders. Mine is 2007. I have to remind him I explicitly stated my model...

It's now a replacement for the original radio, but is in instead meant to be installed into that empty hole above the radio. Might be, that 2008 and later models have this big grey connector (is it called MOST?) behind their radios, but mine has two smaller green connectors. However, the wire is just long enough to reach the rear side of the centre console, so having such long wire to connect to radio just below won't make sense.

Trekker1972: Where did you connect your's and what's the model of your Freelander?

Post #293579 14th Mar 2016 7:19 am
Landiroamer

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4_e SE Manual Orkney Grey

Saw one in a 2008 Freelander 2 in Beijing when i was there last year, they will obviously get you around there ok Thumbs Up

Post #293583 14th Mar 2016 9:19 am
Reeventu

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

As an aside these Chinese units are very popular with owners of motorhomes as you input the vehicle dimensions.

Cannot comment on building into a vehicle of any type, but as a stand alone unit they are very good value and do work surprisingly well.

I have used mine within the UK , France ,Germany , Holland , Portugal and Spain without problems, whereas the inbuilt unit on my Freelander (2013 ) was very poor and on two occasions took us way off course.

At around £50 you buy it keep 2/3 years and buy another if you are worried about map updates. simply not worth the bother of trying to update.

Incidently my current Fiat based motorhome , with inbuilt satnav appears to have identicle software to the Chinese ones , Confused

Post #293586 14th Mar 2016 10:06 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

a couple of years ago i bought a complete head unit for my old Antara, to match the dashboard shape and space. Came with Sat nav, bluetoth, various sources of input etc. seemed like a really good price.

when it arrived the display was colour but the quality of graphics was appalling, the radio did not have RDS and the reception was shocking (I had to buy an inline amp for the aerial lead as the standard Vx units had built in amps), it didn't fit the existing cage so I had to cut it to make it fit.

Then to top it all off I got a £70 import tax bill from DHL which the Chinese guys never warned me about or advised in their advert on ebay.

I would now avoid all things costing over £10 from China (yes I know a lot of the FL2 and other cars etc are made in China) as they are made so cheaply they are not worth the hassle.

Post #293596 14th Mar 2016 11:37 am
Trekker1972

Italy 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 S Auto Stornoway Grey

@Navis

Quote:
Trekker1972: Where did you connect your's and what's the model of your Freelander?

My Freelander is a MY2011 and it has the mid-range audio system from Alpine with 9 speaker (not the dolby):

The navigator is not a radio replacement, it's an add-on. It has to be installed to the empty hole (if you don't have the original navigation system from LR) just above the radio unit and it use its AUX input to connect the audio signal. You can continue to use the radio as usual and also connect your favourite audio player to the aux input located at the end of the central console.
I confirm that the connectors are large and grey and I know that there are two of them in the back of the radio and another two under the central console near the aux input connector. The navigator doesn't interact with the MOST system, but it use that connector becouse it has the power and the analog IN signal for the original radio. Probably you can use the second pair of connector if your radio model is the old type with the green ones. MY11 SD4 S

www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/676513.html

Post #293655 14th Mar 2016 11:02 pm
Navis

Thanks Trekker,

And you also have a separate AUX IN in the back side of your radio? Or is it included within the grey connector?

I'll guess I'll have to find right connectors. Does anyone know what these grey and green connectors are called?

Post #293665 15th Mar 2016 7:30 am
Navis

Am I wrong if I assume I would first need something like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LandRover-Freeland...B00JEWHHX8

and then I have to find another one which works the other way around, right?

Unless, of course, I manage to find a direct cables from the Android system to these 2007 model Freelander style of connectors.

Post #293708 15th Mar 2016 12:34 pm
Navis

Hi,

I am still struggling with this problem. Here's another picture:

Click image to enlarge

The red/black cables are the originals coming to my 2007 entry level radio/CD-player, while the grey one is what the navigator expects. Does these connectors/harnesses have any designated names/types so I could search for a suitable adapter?

Post #295088 31st Mar 2016 6:30 am
Navis

I think I advanced a bit... The red/black ones are probably PC2-81-4 autoleads and the grey one is PC2-117-4.

There's a world full of adapters from either of these autoleads to ISO, but not any between those two. Am I really the only one facing this problem?

Post #296085 11th Apr 2016 2:01 pm
Jonfen

Spain 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Alaska White

Guys,

Fitted sat nav + from

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171936008221?_tr...EBIDX%3AIT

can happily say that it works great and the support due to a minor issue was also great, well worth the pennies.

Jonfen

Post #296318 14th Apr 2016 4:32 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1