« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Tips & Tricks > Checkout your automatic gear selector knob
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Dresdner

Germany 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey
Checkout your automatic gear selector knob

I am guessing that at least some of you are pushing the button on the gear selector knob and don't know that it is acutely don't work.
I was driving my 2008 FL2 (automatic gear box) for months without realize i am pushing the button on the knob for nothing, my wife started to drive as well just recently and she ask me why she need to press "this thingy" on the gear selector, i explained her but then she said that she never used it before Confused

I checked it my self and found i can actually move the gear selector from D to P without pressing it Evil or Very Mad
so i check the mechanism and made this short clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQEljicfSIc

After investigation it seems that if the knob is removed without pressing the button it will break the tip of a plastic shaft and from that point the button will not function again.
The only reasonable scenario that i can think of is that this was done while doing the heater recall as the heater box is right after the gear selector assembly.

Here is the difference between a working assembly and my original one which i replaced

[/code]

Post #292127 29th Feb 2016 10:14 pm
Wing

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Back in December when I picked up my SD4 from Farnell's after its 2nd service, I was informed they had replaced the gear shifter under warranty as they had been told to do so on all auto's "don't know about the age" by Land Rover.
Apparently there was a problem with the shifters, where something could snap and allow the shifter to move from 'Park' to 'Drive' without needing to press the button.
On my return home I noticed while reversing up the drive, that my previous, perfectly functioning shifter had been replaced with a defective unit that needed no button press to go right through its range. Rolling Eyes
Another "functioning" unit was fitted at home first thing the following morning!

Post #292226 1st Mar 2016 9:22 pm
EYorkshire

Ha, I could have written your post 'Wing', except mine was recalled last year to change it out alhough it was working OK. Only when I got home did I realise there was no need to depress the button, and it was changed out again the next day.

Post #292240 1st Mar 2016 11:30 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1