Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Defa Comfort kit plus Installation (PRE HEATING SYSTEM)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Dresdner

Germany 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey
Defa Comfort kit plus Installation (PRE HEATING SYSTEM)

Already uploaded this on the German forum but i think here is the right place for it.

Not to much information about installation of the electric pre heating systems on FL2 but i decided any way to go for it.
The fuel burning systems made no sense to me as i driver short way to work and with those system my battery will not last.
I chose DEFA since it seems they are almost the only company on the market for this systems and they look very profesional outfit.

The chosen system is charging my battery, heat the engine and warm the cabin which will defrost the window as well.

1. Finding the hole between the cabin and the motor: i found the hole for pushing the cabin heater cable on the left side of the car below the plastic cover near the windshield

2. Installing Defa battery charger: i installed the unit on top of the fuse box and cut a bit from the battery plastic housing in order to pass-through the cables to the cabin heater (see picture)

3. front inlet (see picture)

4. mounting the cabin heater: for this some of the car carpet needs to be cut (see picture)

5.The engine liquid cooling heater is using a frost cap on the back side of the engine so since it require a lifter i gave this work to the landrover dealer

So far i find the 1.5m power cable ridicules as it is too short (new one will be ordered)
cable for motor heater is too short (extension will be ordered)

Post #292110 29th Feb 2016 7:36 pm
mace

Sweden 

Very interesting!!

I'm thinking of installing an engine heater to our FL2 -07.
I can't make my mind up though, should i go for a HotFrog or a DEFA/Calix sytem?

The word here in Sweden is that they will have to all but lift out the engine to install the heater core in the engine block!?

I have not read any posts from owners who've had the HotFrog installed on a FL2.

May i ask what the cost of your system came to?

I would very much like to install the T91 so that i can use the Webast as a parking heater as well, not always 230V where i park.

All the BEST!
Magnus

Post #315345 15th Jan 2017 12:25 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Technology has become too complex. years ago all you had to do was connect a unit into a radiator hose .

http://www.historyworld.co.uk/advert.php?i...+Parts+etc FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #315348 15th Jan 2017 1:09 pm
Dresdner

Yorky, those systems are still out there and are not expensive, i choose DEFA as they give the full solution (Cabin and motor pre heat with battery smart charger).

Installing the DEFA engine heater in the FL2 is very easy and took the garage 30 minutes to install (the rest was topping the coolant back and removing air in the system), i would have done it my self but without a lift it will be a very messy work.
The FL2 engine has in the lower back side a frost cap to enable in case the coolant will freeze the liquid expansion instead of cracking the motor, the DEFA heater is using this inlet to heat the coolant.

Mace, no need to lift the motor, even the lower engine guard can stay on although it is easier if removed.
cost were around 500 euro for parts

So far i am happy from the DEFA it is working with no issues, i put it on a timer 1 hour before i leave to work every morning and with -5 C i get engine temp above 30 C and cabin fully defrosted, engine start is a breeze and like starting up at summer with no strong diesel noises.

The only thing i regrets is the placement of the connector on the bamper, it is better when it is installed in 90 deg to the ground that way if you forgot to disconnect the cable it will snap easily when you pull back of the drive way with no damage

Last edited by Dresdner on 15th Jan 2017 2:38 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #315349 15th Jan 2017 1:33 pm
mace

Sweden 

Thank You!!! Bow down

Post #315352 15th Jan 2017 1:51 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

I think you mean core plug.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_plug

When they leaked it was quite a job sometimes the get at them to replace and seal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Block_heater FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #315353 15th Jan 2017 2:07 pm
Dresdner

Core plugs are called also frost plugs (also in your link)
The frost plugs on FL2 have no seals it is pressured in (metal to metal).
No issues with the FL2, access is easy (if you can lift your car up)and i do not see a reason for a leak now that the heater is in.

Post #315359 15th Jan 2017 2:52 pm
Dresdner

BTW York, the Bray heating system lives on with units like this

I have no experience with them but at least theoretically they should do the job as well.

Post #315363 15th Jan 2017 3:04 pm
j00ppis

Finland 

We got DEFA Kit installed in our freelander. Engine blockheater in core plug, + harnes to cabin heater. + Remote control for FFBH so it allso heats 5kw + circulates water! Very good set, and the car is warm on every corner. 1hour whit electric mode on, ( 550w blockheat + 1400-2200w cabin heater, car will be defrosted windows + pre heated water, then FFBH for 30mins and you are ready to go!

I would suggest if you dont have FFBH Remote control, there would be good option to instal some 12V waterpump to circulate the water to get best result

I have installed DEFA harnes - cabin heater + TT-thermo to GF:ss car, which is kinda same as webasto ( FFBH ), but its electric working.
its very good and cheap and easy instal. 30minutes and the car is warm up in -15c minus.
TT-thermo 1000w KLD includes Waterpump, 1kw element and thermostat which controls the themp to 60-75c.
Waterpump flow is 480l/h - 8litr per minute.

Engine feels warm up on every corner, and wont warm to much to open the thermostat =)
When you start the engine, its blows warm air immediately
www.tt-thermo.fi

Post #315464 16th Jan 2017 4:27 pm
mace

Sweden 

Wow!!!

This is super Very Happy

Just about everything i want in our FL.

Do you have any pictures of the TT-Thermo installation?
Also very interested in the remote for the FFBH.

Did you do it yourself or have it done at a garage?

Hyvää Hyvää Bow down Bow down Bow down Bow down

Post #315475 16th Jan 2017 8:05 pm
j00ppis

Finland 

Hey mace, look at this http://www.tt-thermo.fi/installation-och-bruksanvisning

There is swe version of instal instructions.
My gf car is Chevrolet cruze, there is alot of space in the hood so easy instal. All you need to do is instal the tt-thermo middle of cabin core heaters hoses, you will see it on instal instructions so you get the idea =), But why not it wouldnt work on freelander 2 Smile Only problems is the space in there, maybe need to route hoses abit and find those first, behind the engine.

About freelander 2 mods, they are all made by dealers.
FFBH - Webasto, you should have allready in your car if its model which is made to cold climate area, you should go to dealer ask if they can make the remote control for it, in finland it costed in these days about 600euros.

And go ask for independent garages about prices for defa cables + and engine block heater to core plug
( i have one which broked down, but it should work ( http://www.defa.com/file/47cf8ca19920/412523.pdf )
i have the element and that huge washer but others are missing, all you need is the seal ring and other litle nuts, wanna take this Very Happy.... you get it for free, but postages you would pay. its litle bit rusty but should work Smile.

i removed it because the seal broked down and all fluids came out so i needed to buy hole set new and garage instal it.

Here is few pics from chevrolet cruze tt-thermo.

Post #315480 16th Jan 2017 8:36 pm
MRRover75

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Re: Defa Comfort kit plus Installation (PRE HEATING SYSTEM)

Dresdner wrote:
Already uploaded this on the German forum but i think here is the right place for it.

Not to much information about installation of the electric pre heating systems on FL2 but i decided any way to go for it.
The fuel burning systems made no sense to me as i driver short way to work and with those system my battery will not last.
I chose DEFA since it seems they are almost the only company on the market for this systems and they look very profesional outfit.

The chosen system is charging my battery, heat the engine and warm the cabin which will defrost the window as well.

1. Finding the hole between the cabin and the motor: i found the hole for pushing the cabin heater cable on the left side of the car below the plastic cover near the windshield

2. Installing Defa battery charger: i installed the unit on top of the fuse box and cut a bit from the battery plastic housing in order to pass-through the cables to the cabin heater (see picture)

4. mounting the cabin heater: for this some of the car carpet needs to be cut (see picture)

5.The engine liquid cooling heater is using a frost cap on the back side of the engine so since it require a lifter i gave this work to the landrover dealer

So far i find the 1.5m power cable ridicules as it is too short (new one will be ordered)

Hi Dresdner,

That looks great!
Are you able to post a few more pictures of how the cables are routed and where it passes through the bulkhead and into the cabin? I have had this system in every car I have had, and plan to install it into my newly acquired Freelander 2.

Post #315517 17th Jan 2017 6:50 am
Stuartc

Australia 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green

Just a thought for you guys in colder climates and I'm no expert on Fuel Burning Auxiliary Heater etc as I'm in Australia but, depending on the spec of your vehicle, the Freelander 2 came with a pretty fancy "Timed Climate" feature.
If you can preheat the coolant then there is really little need to fit any auxiliary interior fan heater as the EATC will automatically take care of it.
Pics are for a MY15 model but the earlier models with touchscreen also had this similar feature.
The FFBH will need to enabled within the CCF but the auxiliary heater doesn't need to connected for the EATC/Timed
climate feature to work if you have something to heat the coolant.
If I was in a cold climate this is how I'd do it.
Just a thought and another option for those who have a touchscreen model and want to do away with any extra climate equipment inside the vehicle.

MY15
Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
Surround Camera System
InControl Apps soon to be replaced with CarPlay (WIP)
Meridian Premium Surround Sound
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Meridian Rear Media with WIFI
Factory Powered Tailgate
Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM)
Reverse Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
Electrochromatic Wing Mirrors (WIP)

Post #315526 17th Jan 2017 9:29 am
Dresdner

Stuartc, this package was sold only in very cold climates, for example Russia but in cold countries like in central Europe the FL2 was sold without the climate package as standard.
My FL2 2008 has only the PTC heater installed as standard and when i looked for a FL2 on the used market in Germany 99% of the FL2's did not have the fuel burning system.

Post #315528 17th Jan 2017 10:09 am
Dresdner

Re: Defa Comfort kit plus Installation (PRE HEATING SYSTEM)

MRRover75 wrote:
Dresdner wrote:

Hi Dresdner,

That looks great!
Are you able to post a few more pictures of how the cables are routed and where it passes through the bulkhead and into the cabin? I have had this system in every car I have had, and plan to install it into my newly acquired Freelander 2.

Can do but on the weekend, currently i leave home for work in the dark and come back in the dark Sad

Post #315529 17th Jan 2017 10:11 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>