Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Haldex 4 low speed Juddering issue - Free fix offer
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
austen_fl2

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey
Haldex 4 low speed Juddering issue - Free fix offer

Hi all

Hopefully i have cured the juddering Haldex 4 issue that is now starting to effect the 09-14 cars whilst on full lock. Before i start advertising these reconditioned units i would like to one of them to undergo some extended testing. My own vehicle has a Haldex 3 (57 plate) , and although i can fit a 4 to it to test it, id rather remove a juddering unit from a car a haldex 4 car, recondition it, then refit it and leave it running for a few 1000 miles to ensure its perfect.

So my offer is, if anyone out there has an 09-14 car with the juddering issue, if you bring it to me i will fix it free of charge in exchange for your feedback and time. if for any reason the unit does not perform correctly i will replace it with a brand new unit.
thanks
austen
bell engineering

Post Approved by Admin

Post #291272 22nd Feb 2016 2:47 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Shame the dealers can't (wont?) stop them juddering under warranty !

Post #291273 22nd Feb 2016 2:50 pm
austen_fl2

They cant fix them as the computer doesnt tell them how Laughing , they will only replace the entire unit at a horrible cost Big Cry

Post #291274 22nd Feb 2016 2:56 pm
RichP

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

Great offer, fortunately mine is fine though and is a gen 3. Are you able to divulge any details of the fix, reasons for the judder, etc? What are your thoughts on why so many of the haldex units break down, including the gen3? Some people think that it is factory preload set incorrectly, personally I think that the fluid levels change and cause premature failure, happy to be proven wrong though?

Post #291337 22nd Feb 2016 8:37 pm
austen_fl2

I think a major cause of failure is the fluid and filter not being serviced, blocked filters and oilways cause other parts to fail due to lack of fluid or the pressure not being maintained correctly. I had a haldex 3 come in last week that all the plates had burnt out, and the actual steel of the housing had blued due to the heat. This wasnt the actual clutch plates failing it was down to the pressure not being applied correctly by the internal system.

Post #291450 23rd Feb 2016 5:40 pm
turboextreme

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Loire Blue

I Have a strange occasional Jolt from my Gen 3 haldex unit when pulling away I first thought it was the rear brakes sticking but when I checked and cleaned and greased the pads they were fine. I had to flush and replace the haldex fluid over a year ago due to there was virtually no haldex oil left as it must have dried up. I had the symptoms of grinding whilst turning at junctions as the haldex wouldn't freewheel whist negotiating corners. Since flushing and replacing the filter and oil mines been ok except the occasional jolt has the low oil damage the unit?

I forgot to Add I went to Land rover 3 times for the grinding issue and Land rover came back and said that they couldn't find anything wrong they also told me that the haldex fluids should last 10 yrs 150k miles.

Post #291501 24th Feb 2016 9:08 am
austen_fl2

Hard to say just by a description. The Haldex 3 is a slightly different beast due to way the pressure is created. Its sounds like the Haldex is releasing or apply a momentry amount of pressure just as you start to move off. Have you tried driving it with the Haldex disabled to see if it goes away? www.bellengineering.co.uk

Post #291508 24th Feb 2016 9:37 am
zergio

Italy 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e SE Manual Santorini Black

when my steering is in the end position (bottom right or bottom left) the rear axle jerks and it worry me.
I removed the fuse as you say but the problems persists.
It happens just 100km after replacing all the diff bearings with the famous original klt sold by land rover plus the pinion bearing.
The haldex seemed perfect and wasn't disassembled but just pulled off.
I have a freelander 2 td4e 03/2010

Post #311228 16th Nov 2016 9:19 pm
yorkshirepudding

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

It was on my list to do and planned on bringing mine for the Haldex servicing in the near future. I don't do a lot of driving in slow stop start traffic but when I do my FL2 can get very jerky upon setting off, the jerks are quite violent similar to when you stall a manual box. In normal diving conditions I'm more likely to get the momentary pause when setting off. I'd be happy to help if this sounds like the problem you are talking about , although my feedback skills would be that of a lay person. If it's not what you are after how much is the service by the way, and what's the lead time? Cheers.

Post #311229 16th Nov 2016 9:56 pm
seadog

England 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Loire Blue

Mine has just started juddering when pulling away on full lock, going to the independents next week for them to have a look, they reckon it's either the Haldex unit or could be a dodgy abs sensor. it's a 64 reg metropolis with only 13000 miles on the clock though - doesn't fill me with confidence, I want to keep it for a few more years!!
Fortunately it's still under warranty so shouldn't cost me anything.

Post #321026 8th Apr 2017 4:28 pm
austen_fl2

Will be the haldex. If you do a tight right-hand turn, open the door and look at rear wheel, it will be spinning www.bellengineering.co.uk

Post #321028 8th Apr 2017 4:53 pm
seadog

England 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Loire Blue

Thanks for that, I will look next time I go out. I always reverse off my drive and turn right which is when I first noticed it. Presumably LR will fit a new one, that will cost them! Funnily, I noticed a sort of on/off drone type noise, I thought it was exhaust noise, on the way back from the garage yesterday when doing 60/70mph, could that be the Haldex as well? Or is my paranoid imagination taking over here and it is just exhaust noise?

Like I said, strange though as it's only done 13000 miles, a tad disappointing.

Post #321032 8th Apr 2017 5:46 pm
austen_fl2

If haldex isn't releasing completely you can get some strange effects www.bellengineering.co.uk

Post #321036 8th Apr 2017 6:32 pm
Arctic

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

HI Austen.
Is there a blow by blow way of testing the Haldex, something similar to the one wheel up test on the FL 1 ? what is the best way to changed the oil and its filter in the Haldex please

Last edited by Arctic on 6th Jun 2017 12:19 pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #321339 13th Apr 2017 8:27 am
Arese

Morocco 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Hi Austen,

I have had my Haldex unit replaced 3 times in 3000 km by Main LR dealer. Symtoms are jolt/grinding juddering on low speed on half or full lock and also in reverse. The replacement solved the issue 100 km the first time, and few hundred of km for second an third replacement before the problem comes back again, Now the problem is back ... LR doesn't know what's going on ... Question

Any ideas austen ?

Many thanks.

Post #324351 1st Jun 2017 8:57 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>