Home > In Car Electronics > Heaters on full/demist/auto issue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Steven.T

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Lago Grey
Heaters on full/demist/auto issue

Hi guys.
Noticed recently that my FL2 (59 reg) heater system seems to act weird. With auto turned on if I turn the temperature control up to the red notch, it slightly increases fan speed, not by much though. I would have thought this should automatically put everything on full to get the temperature higher? I can increase the fan speed manually to make it faster. The air also seems to come out of the windscreen slot, and theres not an awful lot of it. If I turn it to blue for cold it puts everything on full whack, and cold air seems to come out of every duct.
Also, when I press the Prog button, the fans get a bit louder, but I have to turn them up manually to get them to full, is this right? again I would have thought this would have been automatic...
Any ideas or is it just me? Rolling with laughter
Cheers,
Steven

Post #290550 15th Feb 2016 11:59 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Prog is a setting that basically does rapid demisting by directing hot air to the windscreen and switching on heated windows. I find that I only have to use it for a few minutes to demist the car then switch it off and revert to normal settings. I must admit though, that the system does sometimes have a mind of it's own. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #290551 16th Feb 2016 1:28 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

it slowly increases the fan speed in Auto (hot) on a cold start, to allow the engine and Pre heater to warm up

Too much cold air running over the elements will take it longer....... well that my theory on why this happens to my 3 FL2's Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #290555 16th Feb 2016 10:20 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

correct.

Land rover designed the heater systems so that when on auto and the temperatures are low, the heating is prioritised so that the engine will warm up faster first, as if you try and demist using cold air from a cold start it will take a lot longer. Once the engine temperature is up to a predetermined level (don't ask me what it is ! Shocked ) then warmer air will be directed to the windows and cabin.

The LR theory behind it is that occupants can wear warm clothing, so they are not a priority and windows will clear eventually with a combination of body heat and the initial engine warmth. But if the engine remains cold then everything and everyone suffers.

clever old LR designers Rolling with laughter

Post #290560 16th Feb 2016 10:46 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1