Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > 6th year B service quotes. Sit down.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
le bouch

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black
6th year B service quotes. Sit down.

6th year B service quotes (without brake fluid or flexible hose change, so in other words just a normal B service):

Harwoods Hove £620 (or £375 if I supply oil and parts)
Caffyns Lewes £580 (or £340 if I supply..)

Local independent CR Allen didn't even bother calling me back with a price...

£620 to change oil and filters! Harwoods wanted an additional £400 to change the brake hoses!

No other local LR dealers worth hassle of travelling to. Want to extend the warranty again so arm well and truly twisted. Will go for Caffyns £340 (I have all the parts - was originally planning to DIY) and then do the brake hoses myself (if needed) when the weather picks up - got to do the discs and pads anyway.

Post #290256 13th Feb 2016 10:22 am
Landiroamer

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4_e SE Manual Orkney Grey

Im going to forget the warranty now and do it myself, at those costs it wouldnt be long before you saved enough to buy a new engine yourself, I only do a couple of thousand a year anyway, so the failure risks arent like someone doing 30000 a year like I used to anyway for me, and needs their car every day. Thumbs Up

Post #290258 13th Feb 2016 10:37 am
le bouch

That's a good point. I'm minded to still go with a main dealer as even if I don't renew the warranty LR sometimes contribute to repairs if you have a full main dealer history. It's not exactly value for money, which ever way you look at it Censored

Post #290262 13th Feb 2016 10:51 am
le bouch

However.. This thread http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic25762.html discusses the Land Rover 3+ fixed price servicing scheme, with FL2 B services at £350 inc vat! The scheme is still current on LR's website, albeit 'participating dealers' only.

I wonder if Harwoods or Caffyns are participating dealers....

Edit.
Harwoods Chichester are..
Caffyns Lewes are not..

Post #290263 13th Feb 2016 10:59 am
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I have just had the same service done at Duckworths Market Rasen. Service, (Labour only) £207 + VAT. Parts from Dan £60 + VAT. Castrol A5 oil £40 off the 'bay. Total £360.40. 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #290276 13th Feb 2016 1:23 pm
le bouch

Funnily enough, Harwoods Chi have just offered me labour only at £250 inc vat

Post #290279 13th Feb 2016 2:50 pm
Stevie5tapes

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Auto Sumatra Black

My 6th year service is due in April, spoke to the indy I use last week and he's quoted me 300 quid for B service and brake fluid change. I asked about changing the brake pipes and he said it's very rare he changes them, especially if the car doesn't go off road. I read somewhere, might have been on here somewhere that it's only the flexible hose joints that are supposed to be changed, the hoses are cheap and easy to change at the same time as changing the brake fluid.

Back to servicing cost I think the service pack of filters etc is about 80 quid, plus oil is around 40 quid, makes you wonder how much the main dealer makes from a service!? Black MY2013 SD4 GS Auto, Wood Company Armrest, Freel2 sticker.
Gone MY2010 Freelander 2 Manual TD4.e S, Alaska White.

Post #290411 14th Feb 2016 7:31 pm
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Just call Gordon Lamb LR, Chesterfield to see about booking in for 6 year/74000 service.

I asked for the 3+ servicing deal, and he quoted me £525 which included a 10% 3+ discount Shocked

So when I told him that their own website showed the 3+ Major(B) service as £350 all in under the LR 3+ servicing scheme there was an exclamation of shock and '' I'll just go and get the Land Rover servicing book'' Rolling Eyes

Low and behold, a ''subsidised by Land Rover'' major service is £350 incl VAT and there is apparently no difference between this and their own £525 major service Whistle

Also got told that I would need to get a code from DVLA in order to have a courtesy car, however when I pointed out that Jaguar Lincoln just entered my national insurance number and they did it all for me. He then agreed I could do it like that if I wanted.............. Banging Head

Post #290899 19th Feb 2016 10:31 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Stevie5tapes wrote:
M makes you wonder how much the main dealer makes from a service!?

It's like in any business, if you factor in staff wages, overheads, insurance, admin etc the end user price can be a bit steep. It's like buying a cup of coffee in a coffee shop, where the cost of the ingredients is just a few pence. Having said that I read recently in the Financial Times about one garage group who said that they made most of their money on servicing and used cars. Profit on new ones was very small and came mainly from manufacturer bonuses, finance deals and extras. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #290900 19th Feb 2016 10:52 am
RogB

for £350 (with the extra £150-£200 being subsidised by LR) I think id be a fool not to get it done by my local LR dealer.

£350 is about what my local indy would charge for the same level of service, however I do actually have more trust in the indy I use to do all the jobs. But for the sake of having a LR stamp in the service book, especially as it already has full LR history Ill give it a try.

Post #290901 19th Feb 2016 11:06 am
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Unfortunately, in most cases you are paying a premium for a 1st year apprentice to change your oil to keep the LR service history up to date. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #290902 19th Feb 2016 11:08 am
RogB

probably, but if that 1st year apprentice ticks off he has done something, and that item then fails then there is recourse to Land Rover to put it right.

Rear diffs are a prime example, LR are more likely to pay out/contribute when or if the diff goes bang on a LR serviced car than they are on a none LR serviced car.

If im not happy with the quality of the service then next time Ill go back to my indy. The ball is the LR franchise court, if they want my future custom then they have to provided a good service.

Post #290905 19th Feb 2016 11:28 am
le bouch

That's my reasoning too, Rog. Mine's now booked in Harwoods Chi for £250 inc - I supply the parts and oil.

They're also going to look at a faulty rear offside door lock (supposedly fixed by Caffyns Lewes last year), which will be covered by the warranty.

I suspect that my clutch might be starting to slip - that is apparently wear / tear and not covered Big Cry

Just had my warranty renewal quote as well Big Cry Big Cry

Post #290915 19th Feb 2016 12:45 pm
RogB

mine will be out of warranty a week before it goes in for service, unfortunately I can get it booked in before then with a courtesy car.

So far (touches every bit of wood around) there don't appear to be any issues with the car. I want to change the battery in the spring as I suspect that may be a bit weak during this cold snap, and hopefully that will then cure the chugging start im getting in the mornings.( if not ill have to look at glow plugs in the summer)

Post #290916 19th Feb 2016 12:49 pm
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

As I mentioned on another thread Land Rover dealers do not want 5 year old plus cars on their forecourts as they will not give an appropriate guarantee - they invariably just put the car into auction. I recently chopped my old car against a demonstrator and they didn't even look at the motor let alone the paperwork. It would appear therefore that it is hardly worth getting an LR service at exorbitant rates when a you can get a trusted indy to do the work.

I will get LR to perform the next 2 services (car will be 3 yo then) but thereafter will be using an indy. MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #290934 19th Feb 2016 3:23 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>