« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Would you consider something other that a Freelander
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 32 of 53 <123 ... 313233 ... 515253>
Print this entire topic · 
dshipp

United Kingdom 

Tigger wrote:
I can relate to that. The dealer had my last FL2 sold long before my new D4 arrived from Solihull. When I traded that D4 in for another after a year, the dealer told me that they left the advert for my "new" used D4 was kept on their site, long after I'd bought it, as it kept attracting interest which they might be able to switch to something else (you might have been on the receiving end of something similar).

Ah I've been on the receiving end of this behaviour. Very frustrating.

Spotted a perfect spec, very keenly priced DS at my local dealership. So I rang last thing on Friday and arranged to test drive first thing on Saturday. They we're happy to book me in. Got there and after 30mins of sitting around waiting for the person I'd booked with to show her face, she eventually sent out a more junior salesman to explain that the car had been sold. It was never made clear whether it had been sold in the 20mins or so of business between my call at the end of Friday and my arrival on Saturday, or whether it was sold before I called. However I noted that the car stayed up on the Used Approved site for a full 2 weeks after my failure to test drive it.

The deceit and their handling of my business annoyed me so much that I decided I'd rather travel further and deal with a different dealership.

Last edited by dshipp on 9th Mar 2017 2:33 pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #319160 9th Mar 2017 2:22 pm
dshipp

United Kingdom 

chicken george wrote:
How much was a late model fl2 hse lux new? Then allow for extra seats and a bit more tech?

Not quite the question you asked, but I've recently compared a 65reg DS HSE with a 64reg FL2 Metropolis. For a difference of 10k you're looking at slightly less tech in the DS, newer design, lower ride height, more refined ride, 2 more seats, better fuel economy.

I spend a couple of weeks trying to justify that 10k, but ultimately I don't need the 2 extra seats and actually had a much bigger smile coming away from the FL2 test drive than the DS test drive.

I plan to keep the vehicle long enough that the future trade-in value isn't particularly a factor for me.

Should be picking up the FL2 at the weekend.

Post #319161 9th Mar 2017 2:30 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

dshipp wrote:

The deceit and their handling of my business annoyed me so much that I decided I'd rather travel further and deal with a different dealership.

Quite right! Thumbs Up

Post #319177 9th Mar 2017 8:08 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Regular visitors to this forum may be surprised to learn that I have just put a deposit down on an "Approved" SD4 XS Auto, full leather, 14 plate FL2, with 2 yr warranty. Yes, despite my family history of FL2 problems I have gone and bought another one. Shocked
I have looked at a Hyundai Tucson, VW Tiguan, and a couple of other similar and although very nice with lots of goodies and 5 year warranties etc I just couldn't bring myself to buy one. Even my wife wasn't convinced. So on Monday this week I looked on the LR national website and saw a nice FL2 96 miles away but when I called they said it has been sold that day, same thing happened on Wednesday at a different dealer ie the car was sold within a day of going on the website. Then on Wednesday night one came up only 25 miles away so Thursday morning called and yes it has just come in and it's currently being serviced. That afternoon we saw it, did the deal and I should be able to pick it up next week.
We haven't had the nerve to tell our two sons yet, they will just think that Dad's losing it. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #319313 12th Mar 2017 12:14 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

No, they are just worried about their inheritance! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #319314 12th Mar 2017 1:47 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

dshipp wrote:
chicken george wrote:
How much was a late model fl2 hse lux new? Then allow for extra seats and a bit more tech?

Not quite the question you asked, but I've recently compared a 65reg DS HSE with a 64reg FL2 Metropolis. For a difference of 10k you're looking at slightly less tech in the DS, newer design, lower ride height, more refined ride, 2 more seats, better fuel economy.

I spend a couple of weeks trying to justify that 10k, but ultimately I don't need the 2 extra seats and actually had a much bigger smile coming away from the FL2 test drive than the DS test drive.

I plan to keep the vehicle long enough that the future trade-in value isn't particularly a factor for me.

Should be picking up the FL2 at the weekend.

not a true comparison as the metro was end of the line offered at a good price, still 10k is a fair jump for 12mth or less age difference.
fairer really to compare fl2 price a year before they stopped production not end of line. At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #319315 12th Mar 2017 1:49 am
DennisV

United Kingdom 

Good decision DorsetFreelander, and with the added advantage that it's the car you already know so well. Years of involvement with this wonderful forum mean we have all gained an in depth understanding of the possible issues that may arise and we have a good head start in solving them.

Just think how long and how much effort it would take to get to that same level of knowledge from scratch with an unknown vehicle.....

Post #319336 12th Mar 2017 5:10 pm
dorsetfreelander

It's certainly a good forum for advice but I regard this forum as a bit like going down the pub with your mates to talk cars or heating boilers or anything really. Over the last couple of months I have joined a few other forums (fora?) like VW, Hyundai, Mitsubishi and a couple of others to try and get an insight into what it's like to live with those cars. The level of discussion is generally totally different which makes me wonder whether LR owners are more likely to get involved with fixing their cars or perhaps the other cars don't have enough problems for owners to talk about anyway! Anyway I look forward to getting my SD4 auto next week. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #319338 12th Mar 2017 5:38 pm
Dartman the one

England 

Our Freel2.com is more akin to the collector car forums where there is considerable knowledge and hands on experience, the other forums tend to have members who have little or no technical knowledge and hopefully find an answer and cost to their problems considerably cheaper than the dealer has quoted on their 5 year old Santa Fe or Tucson/i35, for those who think LR dealer parts are expensive the 7 seat self levelling shock absorbers will cost about 1/3 of the value of the car fitted, or if you find a nice dealer £500 each off the shelf, no other suppliers. Most land Rovers are reasonable to maintain due to plethora of knowledge and after market parts, if you want an old 4x4 and are reasonable at bolting things together any LR model will be cheaper than a far east model when the proverbial happens. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #319369 13th Mar 2017 9:42 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

often the case farmers get rid of there 'unreliable' defenders for a crewcab pickup. then when they need parts for pickup get a very nasty shock.
I took the gamble on a ford ranger and so far it has been well behaved, apart from a nasty bill for replacing the cheap nasty original fit brake pipes which didnt last long on my far from clean pickup. not helped by some careless pipe route design. At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #319385 13th Mar 2017 12:30 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Biggest problem with Defenders is their ability to attract every slag within a 100mile radius. If LR had tried they could have made them a lot harder to nick. The other issue of course is sit in a Hilux or an Amrock king cab, then you sit in a Defender, and you realise that the game had moved on big time. My Mrs goes all nostalgic for the two that disappeared to the great pikey chop-shop in the sky, but to be honest even she knew they were well over their sell by date. 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Last edited by MartynB on 18th Mar 2017 12:36 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #319415 13th Mar 2017 9:41 pm
Tradewind 35

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

My 07 Freely2 going better than ever. What a great car - so may keep it rather than replace as for me the DS is a lesser vehicle - for a start it does not have the same visual presence - all that squashed up harse end and indistinguishable from all the other same as SUV soft roaders - no product differentiation. I do like the look of the F Face - a great looking car - but I would not buy a car with such a stupid name and I am sure more than a few prospective female owners must wonder how they are going to tell office colleagues that they fancy an F Pace without getting some funny looks!!! Whoever sanctioned that dopey name needs their bottom smacked.
Far more persuasive however in my decision not to replace with a JLR offering is the absolutely dire reportage from the Disco Sport Owners forum and the F Pace Owners forum. Quality of build and execution for both these vehicles seems dismal in far too many cases. The headlong pursuit of volume before engineering and quality means that customers are paying a heavy price for being "Premium Brand" purchasers. I do not care to join them. So am totting up the cost of a big service - new cam belt, water pump, Haldex, diff etc - that may be money well spent.

Post #319669 18th Mar 2017 12:12 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dorsetfreelander

Well, picked up my LR Approved FL2 2014 XS SD4 auto 25k miles yesterday from Westover in Christchurch. Excellent service and big bunch of flowers for wife who thinks it's great to drive.

Whilst wandering around the showroom, however I was struck by how similar all of the LR range is nowadays, I could only distinguish a DS, RRS, RR or Disco by looking at the information sheet by the side of each vehicle. Contrast that with the Defender that has pride of place raised up display on the forecourt even though they don't make them any more and FL2s which apparently don't stay long on the forecourt.

We are in a position where we could have bought anything in the showroom but bought a used FL2. That must tell you something. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #319687 18th Mar 2017 10:35 am
Tradewind 35

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

I agree that the current LR range are all far too similar in appearance - The RRS looks ok but still has that squashed roof at the back which I don't like and makes it hard to distinguish from the very undistinguished DSport - quite a styling achievement!!! I don't like the D5 at all - that back end is hideous so it is out for me, sadly. Other design teams don't seem to be so challenged. Depressing to see how Kia and Hi-Undies look ok and are arguably better engineered vehicles in some respects. Another contrast is the new Volvo line up - real design flair, original thinking and some significant technological progress rather than the image, style and marketing blather that LR put above engineering. Let's hope that the D5 at least lives up the gushing praise in the motoring press, even if it may antagonise some of us.

Post #319693 18th Mar 2017 12:00 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ct8637

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

dorsetfreelander wrote:
Well, picked up my LR Approved FL2 2014 XS SD4 auto 25k miles yesterday from Westover in Christchurch. Excellent service and big bunch of flowers for wife who thinks it's great to drive.

Whilst wandering around the showroom, however I was struck by how similar all of the LR range is nowadays, I could only distinguish a DS, RRS, RR or Disco by looking at the information sheet by the side of each vehicle. Contrast that with the Defender that has pride of place raised up display on the forecourt even though they don't make them any more and FL2s which apparently don't stay long on the forecourt.

We are in a position where we could have bought anything in the showroom but bought a used FL2. That must tell you something.

Christchurch, I'm from down the road in new Milton originally. Small world. I popped into westover around Xmas and wasn't impressed with their offering, purely range rovers or the new discovery. Although I suppose you can't expect them to stock a freelander 2 that's a couple of years old as clearly they don't care about that market anymore. It's all about the Chelsea tractors these days.

Post #319750 19th Mar 2017 1:45 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 32 of 53 <123 ... 313233 ... 515253>