Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Brake upgrade
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

The seller has re-listed them now :- eBay Item No. 222003620785 Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #289633 6th Feb 2016 5:52 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Are the petrol and diesel pads different - is that why you need the caliper carriers? Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #289634 6th Feb 2016 6:05 pm
Landiroamer

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4_e SE Manual Orkney Grey

Bigger diameter disc so you need to move the caliper out a little i would think?

Post #289636 6th Feb 2016 6:14 pm
Mav71

You use the same pads as the diesel models.

The discs are bigger so as mentioned above, the calipers are moved outwards. This gives better leverage on the disc for better stopping power.

We don't need to worry about the master cylinder, as petrol and diesels use the same unit. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #289640 6th Feb 2016 6:51 pm
Winslet

United Kingdom 

Hi

Haven't posted for a while but have been keeping an eye on posts!

I did the same upgrade last summer, using the carriers from the same source as Mav71 did - the guy only lives a few miles away from me.

This was my experience:

I used original LR original discs and LR original Evoque pads - they are the same fitment but have a fixed metal plate on the back (and apparently are superior to the stock LR Freelander ones, but I have no true evidence for that).

The carriers move the pads further out so that they are up to the outer edge of the disc - leaving a slightly untouched area on the inner part of the swept area of the disc. So the surface area of contact between pad and disc is the same but is further out from the 'fulcrum' - same force from the pads onto the disc is applied further from the fulcrum resulting in a greater retardation - better 'bite' when all the other factors are the same.

I tested them in anger after bedding them in for a few hundred miles - an emergency stop from 60 miles on a deserted straight dry road - it nearly took my eyeballs out, and the hazards came on until I pulled away again. They work brilliantly, but having not done the same before changing them, I can't say how effective a test that was... the main limiting factor in braking being tyre grip anyway.

Below is a photo - and before anyone asks, the car was also on axle stands but I used the jack to help support the axle stub when removing the caliper carrier bolts - they are glued in and are pain to get undone as they are tight all the way out and in again.

2016 BMW X3 30d SE in red
MY2013 SD4 XS Firenze Red, 19" 10 spoke contrast paint wheels, Signature Strips, Grand Black Lacquer trim, Cold Climate Pack - gone!
2007 TD4 S Stornoway Grey - gone!

Post #289642 6th Feb 2016 6:58 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Mav71 wrote:
You use the same pads as the diesel models.

The discs are bigger so as mentioned above, the calipers are moved outwards. This gives better leverage on the disc for better stopping power.

We don't need to worry about the master cylinder, as petrol and diesels use the same unit.

Thanks. I might do that mod on my Evoque when it's due for pad replacement although at the moment the brakes on that are feeling far better than my FL2 ever did, using the same discs and pads which is strange. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto

Post #289646 6th Feb 2016 7:46 pm
ronp

Scotland 

Winslet wrote:
I tested them in an emergency stop ...... and the hazards came on until I pulled away again.

Didn't know the FL2 did this, is this with specific models only? FL2 now gone and have a couple of items left for sale:-

Brodit active iPhone holder + Brodit dash clip,
Bluetooth Music Streaming Module.

Post #289653 6th Feb 2016 8:50 pm
Mav71

Winslet wrote:
Hi

Haven't posted for a while but have been keeping an eye on posts!

I did the same upgrade last summer, using the carriers from the same source as Mav71 did - the guy only lives a few miles away from me.

This was my experience:

I used original LR original discs and LR original Evoque pads - they are the same fitment but have a fixed metal plate on the back (and apparently are superior to the stock LR Freelander ones, but I have no true evidence for that).

The carriers move the pads further out so that they are up to the outer edge of the disc - leaving a slightly untouched area on the inner part of the swept area of the disc. So the surface area of contact between pad and disc is the same but is further out from the 'fulcrum' - same force from the pads onto the disc is applied further from the fulcrum resulting in a greater retardation - better 'bite' when all the other factors are the same.

I tested them in anger after bedding them in for a few hundred miles - an emergency stop from 60 miles on a deserted straight dry road - it nearly took my eyeballs out, and the hazards came on until I pulled away again. They work brilliantly, but having not done the same before changing them, I can't say how effective a test that was... the main limiting factor in braking being tyre grip anyway.

Below is a photo - and before anyone asks, the car was also on axle stands but I used the jack to help support the axle stub when removing the caliper carrier bolts - they are glued in and are pain to get undone as they are tight all the way out and in again.

That is just how I have found them. I did do a before and after test in the dry and in the same bit if road.

I picked a spot to brake, and these new brakes at 50mph to stand still was approx 8-10m shorter than the originals. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #289655 6th Feb 2016 8:55 pm
Winslet

United Kingdom 

RonP - I don't know if LR refer to it as EBA, emergency brake assist, but once the car detected you were applying the brakes as if in an emergency, you could feel it applying maximum braking force and the hazards came on (then off once I stopped braking and moved off)

Steve D - I wonder if the Evoque has the larger stone/dust shield that the Freelander has - apart from the disc itself and the caliper carrier, the set up is ready for the larger disc that came as standard on the 3.2l petrol model. When I looked at Evoque discs on websites such as Eurocarparts, IIRC the only size disc they offered was the same size as the diesel Freelander.

Mav71 - if the larger disc reduces the braking distance by that much, that's impressive and a great result. I find they are better when pulling up at roundabouts where I found the standard brakes a bit lacking when coming to a halt (we are often in Milton Keynes, you get to do that a lot!), and worse in the automatic I have now than my previous manual gearbox Freelander. 2016 BMW X3 30d SE in red
MY2013 SD4 XS Firenze Red, 19" 10 spoke contrast paint wheels, Signature Strips, Grand Black Lacquer trim, Cold Climate Pack - gone!

Post #289664 6th Feb 2016 10:39 pm
Landiroamer

One assumes theres a minimum diameter wheel you need to be able to fit the larger diameter discs, 18"?

Post #289665 6th Feb 2016 11:36 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

AFAIK, FL2's have 17"-19" wheels and Evoques have 18"-20" as standard factory fit sizes so on that basis you'd think that bigger discs would be possible on the petrol Evoques. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto

Post #289670 7th Feb 2016 4:41 am
Winslet

United Kingdom 

I'd say that 16" wheels wouldn't fit - I had those on my previous Freelander and the gap between the caliper and the inside of the wheel isn't large enough to use stick on weights to balance the wheel - which I know to my cost after having new tyres fitted and the massive squeal as I attempted to leave. So moving out the calipers to fit the larger brake disc would probably need a larger wheel than 16".

I don't think wheel size is the issue - my point was about the dust/stone shield fitted - it is big enough to take the larger brake disc without being replaced on the Freelander, as it was set up already for any fitments with the larger disc as standard. I don't know whether the Evoque is like this.

You can see the difference from the 'before' photo below:

2016 BMW X3 30d SE in red

Post #289675 7th Feb 2016 10:38 am
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

Have the brakes on my15 been improved - i nearly go through the windscreen with my car when braking compared to the previous my10 GS. MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #289677 7th Feb 2016 10:40 am
Landiroamer

If youre increasing the braking performance so as folk say you nearly go through the windscreen when you apply them, are you putting the rest of the suspension components under greater stress? one would think so? and thus shorten the their life, eg suspension bushes, or should these be upgraded accordingly too, maybe on cars fitted with the bigger brakes as standard the bushes etc are upgraded or better material too??

Post #289685 7th Feb 2016 1:03 pm
Winslet

United Kingdom 

Only if you use it!

Emergency stops must put a huge strain on the suspension and brakes/transmission but I certainly don't drive like that - the reassurance is there but don't forget that the reverse argument also applies - if by moving out the calipers by fitting bigger discs and carriers, you achieve greater braking retardation from the same force applied to the pedal (and hence through the system), you can also achieve the same braking retardation from applying less braking force to the pedal which is what you then gain in everyday driving - assuming all other factors are equal. 2016 BMW X3 30d SE in red

Post #289688 7th Feb 2016 1:43 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>