« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Weird intermittent fault with iPhone
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
The Doctor

United Kingdom 
Weird intermittent fault with iPhone

The screen on my phone started shimmering and was at a slight angle. It was also slow at responding to swipe or keypad inputs. I switched it off and then it just went dead and could not be switched back on. Suddenly, it decided to work again all as normal with no problems. Then all of a sudden (a few hours later), the screen went manky again and the process repeated.

It is covered by my insurance policy for faults so no problem there but I could do without the hassle of no phone for however many days and weeks it takes to sort it. Has anyone had a fault like this on their phone before?

Cheers LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #293451 12th Mar 2016 6:21 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

sounds like a loose connector inside. I recently had a fault with the on switch on my iphone 4S which my daughter gave me. I stripped it down following a YouTube video and fixed it but in the process I learned how fragile the connectors are inside these things due to lack of space. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #293455 12th Mar 2016 7:10 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Interesting, thanks Thumbs Up

I have submitted my claim form and proof of purchase. They will be in touch next week. £50 excess on the policy and I have just backed the phone up to my computer and iCloud so if I need a new handset I can return it to the way it was Thumbs Up LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #293457 12th Mar 2016 7:23 pm
le bouch

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

I recently bought one of those 240v double sockets with built in USB ports. I connected my iPad Air to it today (using a genuine Apple Lightning-USB cable) and the iPad started doing all sorts of weird things, although it did charge!
The icons wouldn't respond properly (ie I'd press one icon and the app next to it opened), apps either crashed or refused to open, and it would connect to a wifi signal but not get an IP.
Unplugged from the socket and everything instantly back to normal. Weird.

I'm sure you know this already Doc but if you bought your iPhone direct from Apple (ie not from Voda, O2 etc) you have 24 months manufacturer warranty not 12, under EU law. Apple are really good at honouring this. In fact based on my experience of Apple stores and returns I'd be inclined to take it back to them anyway - you may well get lucky.
The £450 screen died on my 2012 eBay-bought iMac last year and Apple repaired it gratis after some mild moaning in the store Thumbs Up

Post #293466 12th Mar 2016 8:39 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Got mine from O2 as an upgrade with 12 months warranty (had it 18 months now). My insurance (Insurance2go) covers theft, loss, accidental damage and faults. I'll see what they say Thumbs Up LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #293477 12th Mar 2016 9:33 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Repair authorised by my insurers and I've paid my £50 excess online. It hasn't happened since but I have noticed on a few occasions that the screen flickers when touched so there is something that needs looking at. I now await their instructions on how to proceed...

Email just landed. The repair firm collect it from me so no postage worries. I just need to back it up and remove the sim. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #293632 14th Mar 2016 6:31 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Update on this guys. Insurance company phoned today to say that it is a hardware issue and they can't guarantee a new display would stop it from returning so I'm getting a replacement phone. Its a re-furbished one but coming direct from Apple with a 12 month guarantee and being delivered Wednesday. Just got to restore from my backup and job done Thumbs Up Very happy with the service received thus far LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #294302 21st Mar 2016 9:46 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1