Home > In Car Electronics > MY13 TD4 audio update? - aus
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ollielax23

Australia 
MY13 TD4 audio update? - aus

Hey all

I am new to FL and this will be my first post. I've seen some similar comments on this in other forums but not seen a direct answer so hoping someone can help.

With the MY13 TD4 (absolute base model in Aus) the interior audio set up looks like the crappy picture attached (hopefully). All the other MY13 models have a much nicer interior such as the second picture hopefully attached.

Does anyone know if it is possible to upgrade the boring old one to the nicer looking kit (or an aftermarket one). I think on previous models before MY13 there was often just a storage compartment there and the radio was run separately so it was a bit easier but not sure if it can be done on this model?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Regards

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by ollielax23 on 28th Jan 2016 1:21 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #288541 28th Jan 2016 12:19 pm
Cambo

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

Can't see your pics mate.

So your car doesn't have the Meridian system then?

And the screen in the top of the dash is the small screen, not full size?

The wiring for the Meridian system is probably missing from your car if you have the base system.

Not impossible to upgrade but not easy either, without seeing exactly what you have (and checking the parts catalogue and wiring diagrams) it's hard to say for sure.

Perhaps something aftermarket could also work. 2008 Freelander 2 HSE Si6 Black/Black - Hers
2009 Jaguar XKR 4.2 S/C Portfolio
2005 Jaguar XJR 4.2 S/C Black/Cranberry

2005 Jaguar X-Type 3.0L AWD - Gone

Post #288547 28th Jan 2016 1:15 pm
ollielax23

Australia 

Hi Cambo

Hopefully they are there now (still learning how this works sorry). Yeah the base model with the tiny screen - not the Meridian system I am pretty sure...

Post #288548 28th Jan 2016 1:23 pm
grod

Australia 

Welcome to the forum mate.

You do have a bare bones setup there. Why would LR do something like that and no4 make it easier to upgrade to an aftermarket standard. I too have a bar bones TD4 but mine is a MY11 and had the satnav in the place where your screen is.

I managed to get a 2din sony xav-712bt head unit to fit in nicely using an adapter face plate and wiring adapters for wiring so steering wheel controls would work.

On yours I see that its well integrated into the console and a mod like mine may not be possible. Someone on here will likely find something for you other than getting a new LR system. You may find that the higher spec LR system is cheapermthan you think but the wiring loom costs thousands.

g

Post #288600 28th Jan 2016 9:36 pm
Cambo

OK I had a chance to look at it further. I think you can rule out upgrading a base sound system to a Meridian. And I have not seen any aftermarket support for the 2013MY onwards FL2 sound systems yet, the older models yes, but not the MY13 onwards.

There are two main wiring harness' which would need to be changed, the chassis harness, and the body & rear audio/nav/entertainment harness.

Not only would this require stripping the entire interior out of the car (including the dash) the cost for these looms is astronomical. Like $2k for the chassis harness, and $1300 for the body/rear.

Then you have to look for the components needed; touchscreen, head unit, audio amp, etc... the speakers are also different too.

Much more cost effective to trade it in on another one that already has the MidLine sound system. In saying that there is a Meridian-equipped 2014 FL2 sitting at a wrecker in Adelaide, would have all the pieces needed for such a conversion. I suspect they will be asking an arm and a leg for it though http://www.triumphroverspares.com.au/page....#viewimage

But trade in/up would be my suggestion, I like a project but this would definitely fall into the "not economically viable" basket. 2008 Freelander 2 HSE Si6 Black/Black - Hers

Post #288603 28th Jan 2016 10:22 pm
ollielax23

Australia 

Thanks Cambo and Grod

Really appreciate that and good to know. Hopefully this also helps anyone else considering purchasing this model car too.

I was actually planning on going into that Triumph Rover Spares store this week for a different reason anyway so I'll have a look at the wreck and see what they are charging.

Thanks again!
Cheers, O

Post #289001 1st Feb 2016 1:43 am
Cambo

Having bought from them before, an arm and a leg will probably be the ballpark price.

Actually the more I think about it, the more I would not want to take on this retrofit project. It's like a rolling snowball there are dozens and dozens of things that need changing to make it work. No thanks.

Trade in/up is the answer here.

Cheers. 2008 Freelander 2 HSE Si6 Black/Black - Hers

Post #289002 1st Feb 2016 2:01 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1