« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Towbar Questions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
MikeW

United Kingdom 
Towbar Questions

Prior to collecting my new FL2 last weekend, the LR dealer arranged for a Witter swan neck tow bar to be fitted by the local Witter agent. I took the FL2 to the caravan today to try the tow bar and electrics and a couple of unexpected things happened.

First of all, the parking sensors do not appear to be aware that the caravan is behind as I got a constant beep when selecting reverse with the caravan hitched up Shocked

Also, the trailer turn signal on the dash does not work but there is an audible sound (albeit quite feint) coming from the boot area when indicating.

The dealer told me that the electronics had been updated to disable the parking sensors when towing, so I suspect that the towbar has not been fitted correctly. I've looked at some posts on here for inspiration bit it appears that towbars are a black art!

Any help will be much appreciated!

Thanks

Post #27334 14th Sep 2008 11:28 pm
Tandemman

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Rimini Red

Back to the dealer Thumbs Up Theycontracted the work out, they should sort it for you Thumbs Up

Post #27337 15th Sep 2008 6:37 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

Personally i think if a dealer get a third party to put the towbar on they should sort it out for you

My LR fixed towbar, does not beep, the green trailer icon on the dash flashes, I find beeps Censored annoying

The sensors turn off as soon as i put in the connector.

It sounds to me the dealer should have done a better check on the car prior to saying "it had been done" Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #27361 15th Sep 2008 10:22 am
Dorko

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Totally agree... take it back and make sure they top up your fuel and give you a hire car free with fuel till they sort your car out.....

I cant stand lazy workmanship. Especially when the dealers charge a arm and a leg for these things... Censored

Dorko

Post #27366 15th Sep 2008 10:59 am
Ub2

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

Hi Dorko

As far as I know LRA still has not released a service bulletin on how to connect the tow package for Australian conditions. They leave it up to 3rd party auto electricians. That is why I was nearly killed when the FL2 locked the trailer brakes at 100Kph when the auto lights turned on in some shadows! Auto electrician had crossed 2 wires.

It took the local dealer 3 days recovering from a dead computer system (the software update LRA supplied wiped the system) to get it right enough to send to a decent auto electrician.

Get a good electian and ensure they understand about the Cambus system sending check pulses to the lights as this will really cause problems if your trailer has LED lights. LED lights will need ballast resistors to work correctly.

Parking sensors continue to be a problem.

Good luck Regards Ub2
My first Landie; SE TD4 auto Sunroof, Narvik Black with Alpacca interior, towbar & rear spoiler.

Post #27396 15th Sep 2008 3:10 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Mike W,

I'm with NP back to the dealers and get them to sort it, you don't want to be playing with it yourself. Not sure why the bleep should have been fitted when the in dash trailer warning light is already built in. Also I'm sure I have heard that the software update also talks to the stability control system.

Have to admit to being curious as to why the Witter swan neck, I have the LR swan neck which meant it was an inhouse fit and is covered by warranty.

Hope you get it fixed soon. Thumbs Up Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!
Company cars ... a thing of the past - May 2013.

Post #27406 15th Sep 2008 4:48 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

i wondered what the warranty issue would be too

Did the dealer give you both options LR & Witter? Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #27410 15th Sep 2008 4:55 pm
MikeW

United Kingdom 

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I bought the FL2 from Taggarts in Glasgow so it's a 460 mile round trip to the dealer! I'd got a price from a local towbar fitter but they pointed out that the software update was needed and they couldn't do it - it had to be done at a dealer.

When the LR sales guy told me the cost to fit an LR swan neck, I said no as it was nearly £200 more expensive than the local guy (even allowing for the software update). He then said that they often used the Witter agent in Glasgow. Their price was similar to my local guy, and the dealer said they would do the software update when prepping the car.

Therefore, it seemed easier (and cheaper) to get it done by the Witter guy in Glasgow. I thought that if the LR dealer had used them before, they would know what they were doing! The fitting was arranged through the LR dealer, and I paid them for the work so I've had no contact with the Witter agent.

The towbar itself is fine - just the electrics are giving grief!! Perhaps I should have bitten the bullet and gone for the LR towbar Confused

I've called the dealer today, and am waiting for a call back. Don't want to wait too long though!

Post #27412 15th Sep 2008 5:08 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

is there any dealers in your area that could do the software upgrade and taggert foot the bill, due to their error on the update Question Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #27416 15th Sep 2008 5:49 pm
MikeW

United Kingdom 

That's my plan at the moment - I'll suggest it when Taggarts call me back.

It's a pity this has been overlooked as everything else with the sale was fine and we were pleased with the service from the dealer. Let's see how they handle this!

Post #27429 15th Sep 2008 8:02 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

there is one thing that might have happened

The update was done, but its how the towbar was wired to the car that is stopping the parking sensors from turning off. Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #27430 15th Sep 2008 8:10 pm
MikeW

United Kingdom 

I suspect (fear 'Shocked') that you might be right!!

Post #27432 15th Sep 2008 8:27 pm
christofflammypie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Narvik Black

I had the same problem with my swan neck to bar and the electrics mucking up the sensors. Took it back to the dealer and got them to sort it out and its been fine ever since. After a few e-mails afterwards to complain about loss of time and fuel I got my next service for half price. My round trip is only 50 miles so was pleased with that. Mine was a LR kit by the way. So take it back and try to get a free next service. Thumbs Up 2007 GS TD4, Narvik Black, Privacy Glass, Chrome Tubes, HSE alloys, Clear repeaters, detachable tow bar and retro fit Sony Sat Nav

Post #27442 15th Sep 2008 9:15 pm
r055

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

I bought mine from them and also got a towbar fitted - same symptoms as you were getting. It took 2 visits to rectify - Luckily im half an hour away from them but was mightily Censored off at the time! Evil or Very Mad

They fixed it by ordering a trailer module or something similar and then fitting that. Worked perfectly after that - like someone has said - The wee trailer symbol comes on in the bottom right of the dash when indicators are flashing.

Tell them to sort it locally - use my reg as a reference (i'll PM you with it)

hope you get it fixed

Ross 07 Fl2 GS
88 Galv chassis Landy 110 double cab

Last edited by r055 on 16th Sep 2008 10:54 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #27531 16th Sep 2008 10:49 pm
r055

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

have a look at this thread too...

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic2085.html?highlight=towbar 07 Fl2 GS
88 Galv chassis Landy 110 double cab

Post #27532 16th Sep 2008 10:54 pm
Post Reply  Back to top