Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > In Car Electronics > missing gps signal? antenna?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Redfox

Denmark 2007 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Izmir Blue
missing gps signal? antenna?

Hi all,

So, I am slowly working my way through a list of dpo problems, and correcting them all as I can.

After having changed the Bluetooth module, the telephone system now works fully. Funnily enough, probably due to the M O S T, the sat nav doesn't reboot every now and then.
I can turn on the satnav, I can type in my position, type in destinations etc. But at the top of the screen, there's a small "GPS" sign crossed out. So I take it, there's no real GPS connection.
Having read that the antenna on the roof might be faulty, are there anything else I should take a look at, before buying an antenna?

I did take off the battery, take off the loading protection, rear most pillars, and upper rearmost pillars, loosened the headlining and peeped into the gps antenna. It's connected and nothing looks odd.

Are there any other boxes/stuff I should check before ordering a new gps antenna?

And can a later Jaguar/Range Rover/Land Rover be used, such as the LR001934 as original on Freelander 2, and then maybe LR011899 as a replacement?

Any advice appreciated.

Kind regards,
Redfox.

Post #438979 31st Jan 2024 9:53 pm
mdpslm

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

Hi Redfox,
On 07 FL2 the GPS antenna is directly connected to Nav/DVD unit via coax cable but you can check satellite reception levels in "secret" diagnostic menus:

1.With the vehicle at rest, place the ignition switch in either "ACC", "ON", or start the engine.
2.On the "Menu" screen, press the top center of the screen for more than three seconds.
3.Enter the PIN code "662", and then touch "OK" for GPS Information satellite reception screen - a minimum of 5 should be showing as "P" (Positioning signal level) & "HDOP" (?) below 5 for GPS icon to not be crossed out.

If you do not see good reception levels then you need to check connectivity before considering a new GPS antenna:

Unplug coax at both ends, with a DMM check for:
Continuity or an open circuit of signal conductor
Signal conductor short circuit to coax shield

Let us know how you get on? Current: FL2 64 plate Black SD4 Auto Metropolis
Gone: FL2 2006 Tambora Flame Orange 2.2 TD4 manual HSE - (90K KM - 268K KM, LHD in CH)

Post #438982 31st Jan 2024 11:08 pm
mdpslm

Just for info, other "Secret" menus may be accessed via PIN codes below, WARNING - be careful what you press as it's possible to mess the system up in some screens:

(not all PINs work on different SW versions) Current: FL2 64 plate Black SD4 Auto Metropolis
Gone: FL2 2006 Tambora Flame Orange 2.2 TD4 manual HSE - (90K KM - 268K KM, LHD in CH)

Post #438983 31st Jan 2024 11:12 pm
Redfox

Super!!!

I'll try it out asap and report back.

Cheers,
Redfox.

Post #438991 1st Feb 2024 1:20 am
Redfox

When using 662 in the secret menu of the sat nav touch screen, I get a satellite information picture, consisting of 2 pages.
On the first I get present position (coded in by me), and a number of satellites: 0 (zero).

On the second screen, I get a list of satellites, like 6 satellites, and each of their position, which are all 0 (zero).
On the bottom of that 2'nd page I get a HDOP of 25. 5.
And a "current status:" 0.

That looks as if nothing is communicating.

ps: I believe that the dangerous menu choice is the "Load", which could render the sat nav useless. I avoid that, naturally.

Kind regards,
Redfox.

Post #438997 1st Feb 2024 9:04 am
mdpslm

Basically you have no GPS satellites reception.

Could be an issue with the GPS antenna, coax connection or the SatNav unit - hopefully not the latter.

I think your next step is to do the resistance checks I mentioned above, to confirm if coax is ok.
I'd also redo a detailed physical/visual inspection of all the coax you can get at and ensure the signal pins are not bent/damaged and and then re-seat them and check menu 662 once more.

If coax checks out ok then you probably need to replace the sharks fin antenna, (I believe in general the impedance of a GPS antenna should be 50 Ohms). Current: FL2 64 plate Black SD4 Auto Metropolis

Post #439018 1st Feb 2024 6:25 pm
Whistonmarine

United Kingdom 

See my post earlier today re GPS aerial

Post #440435 28th Mar 2024 7:35 am
robblue

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

i had this issue yesterday and swapped out the sharkfin which sorted the missing gps signal . 2009 FL2 S now gone
2011 FL2 HSE AUTO
2012 FL2 XS AUTO
2000 Kawasaki er 5

Post #440483 30th Mar 2024 9:57 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1