« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Driver's Seat Adjustment
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Gordo

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black
Driver's Seat Adjustment

I've recently bought a May 2014 Freelander 2 XS (in fact, I've bought two: the other was a GS) and I'm having a lot of problems with the driver's seat in that whichever way I adjust it, I get excruciating back pain within 10-20 minutes of driving it, which lasts for days Crying or Very sad

It's not something that I normally suffer from, and I've driven ancient Discos, got a ten year old Defender etc. and none of them have caused me a problem. My ten year old (original) Freelander is still lovely to sit in.

I think it's probably due to the rather saggy, deckchair-like design of the standard seatback: which is disappointing in a £28k car.

Has anyone found a way of improving it? I've looked at replacing it with an electric seat, but the dealer says that isn't possible. Are there any upholsterers who can modify the backrest of the standard chair?

If not, it looks like it'll be traded in for something else - although I can't really afford the huge hit I'll take trading in after just a few weeks. (Perhaps I need to look up the local Dacia Duster dealer...! Shocked ) Gordon

Land Rover Defender XS Td5 DC | Argocat Magnum 8x8 | Land Rover Freelander 2 XS TD4

Post #259220 2nd Apr 2015 2:29 pm
ronp

Scotland 

Gordo wrote:
I've looked at replacing it with an electric seat, but the dealer says that isn't possible.

Well, that's a load of ballcocks from your dealer, both JimNI and myself both recently fitted full electric HSE leather interiors to our GS models.
And yes, it all works.

Post #259223 2nd Apr 2015 3:20 pm
Jim NI

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Loire Blue

Gordo - like Ron says, we have fitted electric leather to GS models. From my experience it seems that if you have midline or better audio then the wiring for seat adjustment is present in the loom. Not the case with low line audio (cd slot below buttons) 2014 SE Loire Blue SD4 Auto (MY15)
Gone - 2011 GS Baltic Blue, Retrofit Electric Leather, Side Steps, 19"SC's, Roof Rails, TT Sat Nav Mod, Retrofit Premium Audio, Retro fit 2013 Xenons with DRL & Sig Strip (Clutch at 47k)
Gone - 2007 GS Narvik Black, Privacy Glass, 19" SC's, Side Steps,Roof Rails, Roof Spoiler, Lamp Guards, Retrofit Electric Leather (Clutch at 115k)
Gone - 2007 SE Santorini Black (Clutch at 120k)
BT IID (best money ever spent on a car)

Post #259237 2nd Apr 2015 6:00 pm
Gordo

Thanks for that - was it a big job?

Just wondering how I go about finding and installing a new seat - bet they aren't cheap! Gordon

Land Rover Defender XS Td5 DC | Argocat Magnum 8x8 | Land Rover Freelander 2 XS TD4

Post #259238 2nd Apr 2015 6:01 pm
Jim NI

If loom is right, then it's a hours work. I bought 2 complete interiors of ebay, Ron got his there too. Expect to pay £600-£750 for set in top condition including door cards. No problem helping you with advice when fitting. 2014 SE Loire Blue SD4 Auto (MY15)
Gone - 2011 GS Baltic Blue, Retrofit Electric Leather, Side Steps, 19"SC's, Roof Rails, TT Sat Nav Mod, Retrofit Premium Audio, Retro fit 2013 Xenons with DRL & Sig Strip (Clutch at 47k)
Gone - 2007 GS Narvik Black, Privacy Glass, 19" SC's, Side Steps,Roof Rails, Roof Spoiler, Lamp Guards, Retrofit Electric Leather (Clutch at 115k)

Post #259250 2nd Apr 2015 7:20 pm
le bouch

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

Jim NI wrote:
Gordo - like Ron says, we have fitted electric leather to GS models. From my experience it seems that if you have midline or better audio then the wiring for seat adjustment is present in the loom. Not the case with low line audio (cd slot below buttons)

I've got a 2010MY GS and would *love* to do this mod - I really miss the electric leather from my old Disco. Presumably you don't get heated seat capability as well? Also, would you happen to know if the loom aspect applies to 2010MY too - I note you've both got 2011MY...

Post #259260 2nd Apr 2015 8:00 pm
Jim NI

No heating working in mine - but I'm looking into it. Going to strip a/c panel out in next few days and if I have canbus wire in loom then I will be running in retro loom to get heating working. Ron had heated cloth so no issue for him. Have a look at loom plug under driver seat - if you have a brown and white wire in connector you're in business. What audio do you have? As I said earlier, I believe that midline audio is the key to the loom fitted. 2014 SE Loire Blue SD4 Auto (MY15)

Post #259279 2nd Apr 2015 9:18 pm
le bouch

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

Mine's a GS too, albeit 2010 - I believe mine is the midline system. I'll look under the seat..

Thanks.

Post #259282 2nd Apr 2015 9:27 pm
Gordo

Thank you for the replies. As it's an almost brand new car I'm having to tread carefully, and seats from a breaker aren't really what I had in mind.

I have found a company in Leicester that offers to add lumbar support to car seats, so I think I might give them a shout and see what they can offer. I was looking at aftermarket seats (Recaro) and it's one of their dealers. Gordon

Post #259846 8th Apr 2015 1:50 pm
explorer

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Ipanema Sand

Hi, I have a 2007 GS with standard cloth seats and want the leather, electric upgrade, not too worried about heating. I have the audio where the cd slot is below the screen, how difficult would it be to fit HSE or SE seats and is the wiring for the elctrics present or would I need new looms etc. I have no experience of vehicle electrics but I am better than average home mechanic!!

Thanks for any help

Post #275822 14th Sep 2015 6:49 pm
Jim NI

Explorer - I have upgraded to electric leather in wife's 2007 GS. Requires a bit more work than facelift GS as no wiring in loom for seats. The seats are individually powered via a relay in the seat that requires a switched 12v supply and a permanent 12v supply. In my case I picked up a permanent live from rear fuse box and ran a 2mm cable to each seat (quite easy to run under carpet when seats are out. Pick up 12v switched supply from passenger footwell fuse box (piggy back fuse) on 1mm cable then you need 2 x (-) ground cables run to each seat. Ground point can be picked up under centre console. 2014 SE Loire Blue SD4 Auto (MY15)

Post #275828 14th Sep 2015 7:24 pm
explorer

Thanks for the reply Jim - does this mean I should only get the seats from a pre-facelift HSE or SE - I am looking at a couple of sets with breakers at the moment. I would maybe need to come back for a bit more instruction as some stuff is new to me. e.g. piggy back fuse? etc

Did you fit the seat heater switches in yours as well?

Post #275831 14th Sep 2015 7:49 pm
Jim NI

Any year seats will do, forget about heating on yours - you won't have the Canbus wiring on pre facelift and only way round this would be to replace car loom. 2014 SE Loire Blue SD4 Auto (MY15)

Post #275832 14th Sep 2015 7:53 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

You should find all you need about piggy-back fuses somewhere in this thread: http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic12741.html?highlight=retrofit
A piggy back is basically an adaptation which allows you to take a power lead off the top of the fuse. It's important to fit it the right way round! Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
300TDi Disco (bought new - terrible car) sent back after 18 months
Freelander 1 Estate - leased, given back at end of lease
200TDi Disco (bought from a mate with 100,000 on the clock) - Gone
Disco 2 TD5 - sold and exported to France
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone
FR2 SD4 HSE - Now changed for a DS
New model ex-demo Evoque S 180 in white
Unable to order a new DS, so gave up. Now have a Volvo S90 Recharge.

Post #275970 15th Sep 2015 10:19 pm
explorer

Hi and thanks for the replies - really helpful. I have another 2 questions:
1. I have potential source of leather seats which have the electric adjustments, I understand the heater won't work but will the adjustment wiring just plug in and will i need to have the car re-programmed if so?
2. The seats I am looking at don't appear to have the seat belt per-tenshioners attached, is this an issue or do I simply remove the ones in our current car or are they not actually attached to the seat itself?

Apologies if this is all too simple for folk!

Post #276067 16th Sep 2015 7:56 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>