« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Freelander 2 rear Diff Bearing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Portculislr

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Rimini Red
Freelander 2 rear Diff Bearing

I have read a number of posts about premature failure of the rear diff bearing which I gather was a weak spot in the Freelander 2 design, has anyone experience or the symptoms of this. The main questions are:

- the kind of noise exhibited by the failure or impending failure of this bearing

- is it a sudden or progressive failure and again can this be told from the noise issued from the bearing.

We bought our Freelander 2 about a year ago (2007) and now and has 99K on the clock, I did listen out for strange noises when we bought the car and wasn't aware of any, but I guess we all have a tendancy to hear noises even when there are none. I am trying to decide whether what I hear is road noise or a possible progressive failure.

Post #287305 15th Jan 2016 4:33 pm
MrPotatoHead

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

Hi,

I bought my car knowing the rear diff bearing was knackered, so I can't tell you about the speed of it happening, but I suspect it will build gradually.

The sound is a loud whine, which if you stick your head down between the rear seats and the centre console, you can clearly hear. It is very noticeable at speed on the motorway.

My friend owns a Indy Land Rover garage and told me that no one he knows replaces the bearings as they are very hard to extract, so instead he got me a reconditioned diff, with a choice between standard or for £100 more an updated one...I went with standard, and the loss of whine was immediately noticeable.

I should also say I drove it for a while before getting it fixed...just turned the radio up!

All changed for £850...ehich was good as I got a further £900 knocked off the car to cover the cost of replacing the diff.

Andy

Post #287339 15th Jan 2016 9:13 pm
Tpot

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Well our diff started whining at about 75K miles. It was a gradual increase of noise over a few months, for us the whine/hum/drone started at about 20mph but would be almost masked at 70mph by road/wind noise. We drove for about 12k miles before going to Team Valley Landrover for them to replace the pinion bearing, cost £412 in 2011. Initially my wife didn't notice the whine but eventually she did, it was never that loud that the stereo wouldn't mask though! If you're not sure it's making a noise then I'd probably keep driving it until it's obvious. Tyres and wheel bearings are other possibilities of course. Now on 102k miles and diff still quiet so bearing replacement good for us.

Regards Tony

Post #287367 16th Jan 2016 12:15 am
Arese

Morocco 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic23661.html

Post #287368 16th Jan 2016 1:56 am
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

I wouldn't be unduly concerned as if you read through the posts you'll see that Landrover will come good and pay for the repair.

even on early vehicles with substantial mileage.

Ryan, the Landrover rep on the forum has been a great help to forum members in this respect.

Iain

Post #287391 16th Jan 2016 11:38 am
Portculislr

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Rimini Red

Gentlemen,

Many thanks for all your helpful responses. Iain, I have heard that in some situations, LR will fund the cost and I would like to find out more. Can you tell me how to contact the LR Rep (Ryan) that you mentioned in your note

Anthony

Post #287598 18th Jan 2016 11:04 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Ryan can be contacted via this thread

http://www.freel2.com/forum/land-rover-cus...-vf31.html

Post #287599 18th Jan 2016 11:08 am
Landiroamer

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4_e SE Manual Orkney Grey

If you think your rear diff might be making a whine but arent sure as its not got to the really loud state, if you drive with rear seats folded flat it makes it all a lot more audible if thats what it is.

Post #287601 18th Jan 2016 11:21 am
Paulfhome

Does anyone know if LR will extend goodwill payment for this if I am not the original owner from new?

Post #419701 21st Mar 2022 9:36 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Very very unlikely.
The newest Freelander is probably 6 years old, they will play the fair wear and tear card.
Maybe if it was a year out of warranty and it had been dealer serviced all it's life they might consider it.

If you consider that the Disco Sports have steering racks that are failing just outside warranty and it is a lottery if you get a goodwill contribution - remember the steering rack is a safety related item and they still are fighting shy of paying out. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #419708 21st Mar 2022 10:41 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

Paulfhome wrote:
Does anyone know if LR will extend goodwill payment for this if I am not the original owner from new?

LR didn't do anything about the rear diff failing a few months out of warranty, so after several years out of warranty, there's absolutely zero chance.

Just get a quality reconditioned unit from Bell Engineering, and forget about it for 50k miles. Thumbs Up 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #419711 21st Mar 2022 11:30 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Paulfhome wrote:

Welcome to the forum.
This is a well used forum of owners helping each other.
Im pretty sure that, as far as Landrover is concerned, the FL2 is an obsolete vehicle. As a result some genuine parts are now extortionate prices and hard to come by- eg rear sub frame, and glove box damper.
Hence the use of alternate sources eg Evoque parts, Ford, Peugeot and aftermarket/OEM products.

Bell Engineering are the people to contact for your rear diff. Jules

Post #419714 22nd Mar 2022 9:52 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1