« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Private car transfer
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue
Private car transfer

Can someone clarify something for me please?
My wife is getting a car from a relative and we will be transferring the ownership on a certain date. We can fill in the Vo5 paperwork and send it off to DVLA and sort out the insurance for the same date but what I am not sure about is how I then tax it as until DVLA process the paperwork and send it to me I won't have the ability to tax it online. Hence for a few days it won't be taxed and could get picked up by a ANPR camera. Am I missing something here? 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #286689 10th Jan 2016 12:18 pm
Landiroamer

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4_e SE Manual Orkney Grey

If you ring them up and explain Im sure they will advise you, I spoke to someone there on a Saturday morning as it was easier to get through than in week time working hours, all sorted in 5 minutes.
As soon as you take charge of the car the previous tax is no longer void so ring them up in advance of them getting the V5 tell them the details of the car, chassis number, make, previous registered owners address etc, they will check its MOTd if applicable and insured from their database and then pay them there and then for your tax, they will put a note on the system to say you now have the car and have paid the tax for it, then the documents follow in a few days, thats what they did with me anyway.

Post #286691 10th Jan 2016 12:26 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

In the old days of paper tax discs, the new tax disc used to be posted to whoever was the registered keeper. That was why, when buying a car without tax, you had to tax it at the post office and hand the new keeper slip in. Nowdays with it all being online, you can tax it from the first day of the month in which you are using it. You don't physically have to have the V5 in your name as they are not posting anything to you. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #286702 10th Jan 2016 2:10 pm
Bizzie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

You can still tax it at a post office just take the v5 with you and tell them when you want the road tax to start they will then process it and send of the v5 for you. 2007 Freelander 2 HSE

Post #286710 10th Jan 2016 4:08 pm
wizking

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Indus Silver

You can tax it any time using the V5 supplement (new owners tear off slip). Just log on to the car tax web site and follow instructions. If it's a relative and you don't have this yet, just get them to give you the info you need over the phone.

Post #286734 10th Jan 2016 8:59 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1