« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Australia & New Zealand > the dreaded diff
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Aussie Battler

Australia 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey
the dreaded diff

After the problems of getting my rear diff repaired under the Landrover assured extended warranty by the Darwin dealers I ended up with a late model 2nd hand unit fitted by a local workshop and paid in part by the warranty . I thought my problems would be over however I was wrong . Even though the diff was outside the supposed range of vin that it was claimed the problem existed I am now repairing that diff myself . After a lot of searching Rovercraft Australia supply the kits for the repair for about $330 plus oils but I need to remove and strip the unit to make sure that I get the correct bearings .I have just removed the diff which is not all that difficult and tomorrow I will strip it and order parts so that the Missus can reassemble it and put it back in .Now time for a few quiet beers,or is that quiet a few beers
Doug

Post #286300 6th Jan 2016 6:02 am
grod

Australia 

Doug,

Hope it all went well

g

Post #287021 13th Jan 2016 11:02 am
Landiroamer

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4_e SE Manual Orkney Grey

Still on the beers with the sound of it Laughing

Post #287026 13th Jan 2016 11:16 am
Aussie Battler

Stripped diff and now I am not sure that the reolacment diff was a 2011 unit but front bearing had failed and all others needed replacing due to contaminatoin but no damage to gears .chased around for repair kit but to get the correct kit they needed the VIN which in my case did not maen that ai would get the correct kit .Once stripped I set off to the bearing supply shop with samples in hand and all were available over the counter (SKF) . Had a long discussion with the supplier and we checked the damage markings against photos in his bearing failure book and the verdict kept coming back to excessive preload ,the original diaganoses of LR (static overload). I then asked him if there was a heavy duty bearing of the same dimensions ,there is not however the is one with similar the same dimensions except that it is 1mm longed on the inner race and carries more ststic and dynamic load .I cant tell you how much because I have a photo copied page with the figures but no explination as to what the mean (that is elsewere in the book) .So I purchased one and will play with all the bits to see if it is possible to use it ,cost $17.00 . With my SKF bearings and seals purchased from four wheel drives in Melbourne the cost of my parts was 1/2 the kit price .Changed my mind about the missus putting it back together but not the beer
Doug

Post #287106 14th Jan 2016 1:50 am
Aussie Battler

diff finished

I finished fitting the diff today and took it on an eighty k test drive over to Naracorte and all went well . the whine has gone but the other associated noise remains ,the whinge !. I fitted the larger front bearing and it fits ok but you have to be very careful with the seal as the nut is 4mm closer to the haldex and leaves no room for error fitting the seal . I kept the old seal and filed a peep hole through the seal area and took several measurments and tapped it into place it just fits in with clearance between the nut and seal and all seal surfaces properly covered .
Doug

Post #288428 27th Jan 2016 10:57 am
Cambo

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

Good stuff!

Did you happen to take any pictures while it was apart or take note of the new bearings you bought? 2008 Freelander 2 HSE Si6 Black/Black - Hers
2009 Jaguar XKR 4.2 S/C Portfolio
2005 Jaguar XJR 4.2 S/C Black/Cranberry

2005 Jaguar X-Type 3.0L AWD - Gone

Post #288432 27th Jan 2016 11:15 am
Aussie Battler

Cambo
sorry about the late reply but I did not take any photos but the larger bearing number is 30206 and322022 .It is going ok so far after a 750 k 2nd test drive
Doug

Post #290032 11th Feb 2016 9:25 am
adamferronato

Australia 

Hey Doug, great that you know how to do the repair. I'm currently in the market for a second hand freelander 2, any way of limiting the chances of ending up with one that has this diff issue? When did LR get it sorted? What should I listen out for?

I'm fairly confident I could locate the diff...

Cheers!

Post #291580 25th Feb 2016 12:47 am
Aussie Battler

buying a fl2

Adam
My advice or at least some things to think about with the fl2 ,if you purchase a low k 09/10 chances are you will eventualy have to repair the diff ,if you purchase a high k vechicle chances are the diff will have been repaired but this is no gaurentee it wont happen again .If it is a low k vechicle with regular dealer servicing LRA may assist with diff repairs (there are other posts about that) . My personal preferance would be for 09\10 model without the diesel particulate filter as this is one more thing that will eventually need to be replaced and can cause problems in cold climates coupled with repeated short trips .
If you take one for a test drive listen for a whining or humming noise from the rear of the car I first started to hear it at low speed on hotmix roads while coasting with no throttle .
After my my diff problems I still would not change to another suv type vechicle as the fl2 diesel is a terrific 4wd both on and off the road and a real pleasure to drive even after 6 yerars ,driving the other suvs on the market is a bit like driving a kitchen table , hope you find a good one
Doug

Post #291590 25th Feb 2016 6:53 am
adamferronato

Australia 

Thank you for taking the time to reply Doug. Very useful info and very much appreciated.

What an impressive support community.

Post #291638 25th Feb 2016 1:00 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1