Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > In Car Electronics > How to test heated front screen and auto heating control
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
seadog

England 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Loire Blue
How to test heated front screen and auto heating control

I'm not sure if both sides of my heated front screen on my Metropolis are working. Is there a way to test this - easily?

With the recent colder weather, when I get in the car and start the engine, if I've got a wet coat on or similar which causes the front screen to mist up (Heating controls all set to auto), the passenger side of the screen is instantly clear with the drivers side partially steamed up. There's a perfect line down the centre - passenger side clear and drivers side misted up, as if the passenger side of the screen was on but the drivers side wasn't. However, the heated front screen light doesn't come on at all. Is it supposed to illuminate if it comes on automatically? Or is this dividing line just a strange phenomenon?

I've read a couple of posts about the fuses, and I will check these in the morning.

I've also read elsewhere, and on here that the heated front screen is solely for defrosting, not demisting which is strange as the one on my Disco II served as a demister and defroster according to the manual. Unfortunately the Freelander manual doesn't go into any detail about what the front heated screen is for and also doesn't explain about the 'fully auto' mode of control for the heating and ventilation. Anyone explain in short simple terms please..........................

Post #284828 19th Dec 2015 7:11 pm
Landiroamer

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4_e SE Manual Orkney Grey

The button should light up when the screen is on, the fact that yours doesnt might indicate a circuit fault?
The left and right hand side of the screen are 2 seperate circuits

Post #284830 19th Dec 2015 7:18 pm
seadog

The light comes on when you manually switch the screen on though. Maybe the screen isn't actually coming on after all but why the perfect dividing line down the centre between clear passenger side and misted drivers side?

I'll start with the fuses in the morning - failing that I still have two years warranty so it can go back to the dealer, only trouble is the dealer is 25 miles away!

Post #284831 19th Dec 2015 7:34 pm
taztastic

England 

25 miles Laughing that's a good excuse for a ride out, not a chore -- why did you buy it!

Post #284834 19th Dec 2015 8:10 pm
seadog

25 miles that takes over an hour through several miles of road works (lasting till end of next year) 90 minutes in rush hour. Courtesy car not available without three weeks notice. No decent public transport near dealer so wife or friend has to drive up there to bring me back. (Never been offered pick up or drop off service by dealer) Finding time to drop car off one day then pick it up again (probably the next day) inside dealer weekday opening hours, to mention just a couple of the reasons for not wanting to make a journey to the dealer.

But thanks for your constructive and informative answer to my original question taztastic..........

Post #284841 19th Dec 2015 9:23 pm
RichP

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

The heated windscreen is for frost on the exterior, internal ventilation is for demisting. Auto mode for anyone who cannot be bothered to operate the buttons individually or doesn't know how to. Simples! But I think you kind of knew that already.

Post #284843 19th Dec 2015 9:51 pm
seadog

Thanks for that RichP, the auto mode - does it work though? How does it know where to send hot or cold air - to demist the windscreen when needed, warm yer feet when cold or cool your face when hot??

A bit like Paddys answer when asked what he thought was the best invention ever and he replied 'the thermos flask' - 'but why the thermos flask paddy' asked the interviewer 'all it does is keep hot things hot and cold things cold', 'ah' says Paddy 'but how does it know?'

Post #284849 19th Dec 2015 10:13 pm
RichP

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

Schrödinger's cat Laughing

Post #284857 19th Dec 2015 11:25 pm
seadog

Been busy with Christmas and New year stuff since my earlier posts but I checked the heated front screen fuses and they were ok - strangely one fuse - for the drivers side - looked as though it had been 'played with' in that the little top plastic cover was loose whereas the other fuses the top covers are all fixed.....someone before me checking perhaps?

Anyway, frosty windows this morning so went out and tried the heated front screen - the passengers side cleared straight away but the drivers side didn't do anything.

From what I've read and people have said it could be a new screen under warranty maybe??? Now waiting for my dealer to phone me back as all their service staff were busy.........................

LATEST: Just booked it in, dealer guy said it looks as though it will be a new screen! Only trouble is, the earliest they can look at it is 25th January!!!! And there's no chance of a courtesy car he says, now thinking of using a local approved independent.

Post #286503 8th Jan 2016 10:54 am
Stubbenoldgit

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Lux Auto Zermatt Silver

This is exactly the same as mine. The previous car I had with heated screen, a Mundano vintage 2002, the screen cleared both mist and ice.

However the FL2 just like yours if it's misted up the passenger side clears quickly, the driver side not with a clear divide down the middle.

However the difference is that when it's frozen and iced up then both sides clear equally. Who knows.

This is an autoglass replacement screen the original suffered a rock on the M1.

Post #290430 14th Feb 2016 11:28 pm
seadog

Mine has been replaced under warranty and now works ok, just a small dispute now going on that it's not fitted centrally, there's 15mm between the A post at one side and only 9mm at the other........................ Big Cry

Last edited by seadog on 15th Feb 2016 8:39 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #290440 15th Feb 2016 8:36 am
seadog

Anyone else experienced this with a replacement screen?

Post #290441 15th Feb 2016 8:38 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

no, my fitter have always been great and fitted the screen centrally with an even gap, without me getting a measuring stick out

Most fitters (LR Dealership will have used one) offer a guarantee for the screen and workmanship, Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #290455 15th Feb 2016 10:47 am
westville

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White

Time to ditch your "dealer" seadog - I highly recommend Team Valley Land Rover - all LR trained mechanics and absolutely first rate service at a fraction of the stealers Thumbs Up courtesy car as standard - recent service I had a brand new Toyota estate free of charge. No Longer the owner of a 2013MY Fuji White GS

"Fiat Lux" a philosophy not a car

Post #290468 15th Feb 2016 11:41 am
seadog

Westville - sent you a pm

Post #290487 15th Feb 2016 2:01 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1