« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Storage - Again
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
pjbnet

2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Orkney Grey
Storage - Again

Apologies as I know that this has been covered before.

I have recently got my spare set of wheels but with space quite tight I was looking at different solutions.

This would be ideal as I could get the wheels on the wall with less space than hanging them off hooks.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wheel-Tyre-Wall-Mo...VBZZPJZ2R5

but from what I have read, it is really not how they should be stored.

What do you guys think.

ps I have temporarily bought this http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001BAZ...ge_o00_s01 but it is really cheap, still takes up a lot of floor space and I have already bent it.

Post #284606 17th Dec 2015 9:54 am
henra

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Santorini Black

That wall mounted unit looks very good Thumbs Up , and is similar to something we made up in the workshop for someone who wanted to store a bunch of spare wheels/tyres for a drift car in his garage.

There are an awful lot of opinions on how to store your wheels and tyres depending on who you talk to/read online at various tyre sites etc, I have a pile of tractor tyres in the corner of the shed and some car ones stored in racking. I have personally found the key is to make sure they are clean and dry when you put them away and keep out of direct sunlight and heat. If you are storing them for long periods without use, rotating them/moving so weight distribution is kept equal also helps I guess.

But the end of the day you have to work with what space you have and your needs, so if you need the floor space and wall mounting is your best option - do everything you can to help the tyres when you put them away and give them a good once over before you put them back on.

Post #284611 17th Dec 2015 11:01 am
Landiroamer

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4_e SE Manual Orkney Grey

I just store mine by lying them flat in the garage loft floor space, theyre out of the way, in the dark and dry.
Plus it keeps the rest of the garage free and neat and tidy.

What you do with them if you live in a one roomed bedsit though I dont know, under the bed?
or stack 4 in a pile and with a glass top you can have a modern maximalist coffee table?
or put a couple face down with a bean bag in them for a student type doss seat?

Post #284618 17th Dec 2015 11:55 am
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

UV light is best avoided, but apart from that modern tyres won't be damaged by a few months storage whether they be stacked, racked or just lined up on the floor. I stand mine upright on the floor below some shelves in the garage.

Only thing I'd suggest is that before you commit to the wall-mounted rack try lifting a wheel a few times to the height needed to get it into the rack. Wheels and tyres are heavy, and for each change you'll have to lift 4 wheels down and put 4 back up again. That could be an issue if the rack is too high, or if you're prone to back problems.

Post #284619 17th Dec 2015 12:04 pm
westville

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White

pab - good point Thumbs Up
I'd also check the width before buying 1300 does not seem much for 4 big LR wheels and tyres
I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has one of these racks as it would suit my limited floor space No Longer the owner of a 2013MY Fuji White GS

"Fiat Lux" a philosophy not a car

Post #284624 17th Dec 2015 12:56 pm
pcheaven

United Kingdom 

how big are your tyres 235's x 4 should easily fit into 1300... 

Post #284625 17th Dec 2015 1:04 pm
BRD

England 

I store the not in use set of wheels for my other car in a similar way on a rack / bench I made myself, I've never had a problem with them, I always give them a clean and check over and make sure they are dry before they go in the rack. Tyre dealers seem to store them upright in racks too.

The point someone made about the weight is definately worth considering, Freelander wheels with a tyre on are not the lightest things to be lifting.

Post #284627 17th Dec 2015 2:35 pm
pjbnet

2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Orkney Grey

Great advice guys thanks. I won't need to get them too high on the wall but I think it might be worth a try.

I will also measure it up before I buy as I think it is a good point about the width.

Cheers

Post #284657 17th Dec 2015 11:46 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

A bit off topic but I knew a bloke back in the 70's who worked for Michelin near Stoke on Trent. He used to get to try out experimental tyres and claimed that his Vauxhall Viva had some fancy tyres on it that made it corner like it was on rails. His garage at home had so many spare sets of wheels and tyres that he couldn't get the car in. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #284675 18th Dec 2015 10:51 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1