« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Scorpion zeros vs. wrangler AW on muddy back roads
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Thehorse

United Kingdom 
Scorpion zeros vs. wrangler AW on muddy back roads

Interested to hear from anyone that has had both these tyres and how they compare.

Currently have the Pirelli scorpion zeros which seem fine but are down to 3-4mm. We live out in the middle of nowhere and 50% of the time we are driving on minor rural roads (the ones you have to slow right down or stop when another car is coming the other way).

This time of year there is quite a lot of mud on them especially at the sides where cars have gone up onto the verge to pass. Often cars come around the corner and you have to pull over into the mud and brake quite hard and I'm noticing the abs coming on quite a lot at the moment.

Thinking of another set of pirellis and assume a fresh set will be a lot better -can get 235/60 r18 for £102. Just wondering if the GY wrangler HP all weather is any better and worth the extra tenner a tyre?

Wet grip rating for the Pirelli is B vs. only C for the wrangler, so it looks like the Pirelli is better in the wet but will the wrangler be better on muddy roads snow etc?

Post #284321 13th Dec 2015 1:38 pm
Labradorslave

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Have you considered General Grabber GT's?

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic95255.html

Mine spends all it's life on muddy country lanes and I have found the GT's to be excellent. They are also good in the snow which is a bonus. I crossed a muddy field this morning to fetch my dog and grip was good. I did slide about a bit but the FL2 sorted itself out and kept me moving. I definitely prefer them to the Wranglers I had on previously.

Post #284329 13th Dec 2015 4:31 pm
Thehorse

United Kingdom 

Had thought of those, but they are a fair bit more expensive than the other two and I thought they were more focused summer tyre and not M+S rated?

Post #284332 13th Dec 2015 4:56 pm
Labradorslave

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

They are advertised by everyone as summer tyres but when I had them fitted they were m+s rated. I think it is the way General market their tyres. They are either summer or full winters-they don't seem to market an all season tyre. I went through last winter with mine and found the grip to be excellent in the snow and ice. Price wise they are a little more expensive-I just thought I would offer an alternative. I haven't any experience of the Pirelli's but I would definitely buy them over the Wranglers.

Post #284338 13th Dec 2015 6:03 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1