« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > BMW 3 Series
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
The Doctor

United Kingdom 
BMW 3 Series

This is yet another car in the list of consideration that I've been going over. Aside from being a laughing stock in snow without winter tyres (I've laughed at several), I've always respected the 3 series and admired its quality and universal praise from motoring critics.

I dare say I'd be looking at around 04 reg for my projected budget and petrol as I only do around 4.5k miles per year. I have a genuine query about automatics though. We all know my views on the FL2 auto from back in the day but with my dodgy back making me seize up before my time Laughing , an auto has crossed my mind.

One thing that bugs me about autos, regardless of how smooth BMW's effort may or may not be, is how I end up disagreeing with when it changes! Whenever I've driven an auto I'm driving thinking that if I had a manual right now, I would have changed sooner or perhaps held onto a gear longer.

Has anyone who made the switch found that and if so, did it take long to get over it?

Also, does anyone know if the BMW auto is a traditional torque converter or one of those semi-auto efforts?

Cheers LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #284303 13th Dec 2015 11:46 am
Labradorslave

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

I bought a 325i auto. Amazing car to drive. I had a FL2 auto which I hated. I know a few people on here rave about it but I thought it was awful and it nearly put me off ever having an auto box again. By contrast, the BMW auto coupled with the straight six engine was absolutely amazing. Super smooth and very responsive-always selected the right gear and didn't keep changing it's mind like the FL2 auto. Where it was not so good was wet grass/mud. I got stuck (a lot) visiting new places to walk the dog. I adapted and was a little more careful where I parked but this is definitely the achilles heal of rear wheel drive/auto combinations.

On tarmac, you will be hard pushed to find a nicer car to drive. My mate has just bought an old 330d and loves it. Loads of power, straight six soundtrack and 40mpg! If you can afford the fuel bill, go for the 325i petrol though-loved mine and still miss it Big Cry

Post #284307 13th Dec 2015 12:10 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the input. I think 320i is my limit petrol wise and wouldn't rule out the 320d despite low annual mileage. This is because I will be trying to save money in one of those new help to buy ISA's.

From what you've said, I take it the box is a torque converter then. The semi-autos don't cope with town driving very well apparently. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #284311 13th Dec 2015 12:23 pm
Landiroamer

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4_e SE Manual Orkney Grey

Cant you have an auto and have the paddle change on the column so its auto but you can chose when you need it to change gear?

Post #284312 13th Dec 2015 12:28 pm
Labradorslave

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Yes it definitely has a torque converter in the older BMW's. It would probably be worth test driving the auto with the smaller engines because power definitely affects the way an auto drives. I bought the touring because my dog couldn't get in the FL2 anymore and that was the lowest estate I could find. BMW's definitely live up to the hype though and driving it was a pleasure. I would recommend going for a SE spec rather than M spec if you prefer comfort. The ride is firm and you notice poor road surfaces. It is not uncomfortably harsh but after the Fiesta it will feel less civilised!

Post #284317 13th Dec 2015 12:41 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

My Fiesta ST is up there with M Sport for lack of comfort. Speed bumps and pot holes snap my spine Laughing

SE would be my choice but I will bear in mind what you have said about power and would opt for a test drive of course. Saloon or Touring is something else to weigh up if I go down the 3 series road. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #284318 13th Dec 2015 12:54 pm
anglaslt

Lithuania 2015 Freelander 2 2.0T HSE Lux Auto Havana

If you're looking around that age, bear in mind that the E90 went on sale at the beginning of 2005. If you can afford it try to get into an E90 saloon or E91 estate. I had an E90 335i and it was one of the best cars I've ever owned. The E90 series ran until 2012 (Ithink) and it still looks good. driving on the right side

Post #284324 13th Dec 2015 2:35 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1